Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Roadtrip - Vegas, Sedona, GC, Page, Bryce, and Zion

Old May 30th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, my husband and I just booked our flights out to Las Vegas for 9/1 (arriving around 5 pm) and leaving 9/11 (at almost midnight). Our plan is to arrive that Saturday, stay near the airport and wake up in the morning to rent a car and get on the road. We want to travel to Sedona, GC, Page, Bryce and Zion. Our first and last night will be in Vegas, but other than that, we don't intend to spend any extra time there. We have booked nights in Sedona (9/2-9/4) and Zion (9/8-9/10) but everything else is flexible. We only need one night at the GC, figuring two in Sedona, 1 in Page for Antelope/Horseshoe, and 1 or 2 in Bryce. We enjoy driving and exploring places along the way. I've seen mention of the Grand Staircase, wave rock, a rafting trip, Lake Powell, Kodachrome, Willis Creek, etc. just not sure how doable it all is and whats really worth it. Would love feedback on best routes, hidden gems, great hikes and any other suggestions. It will also be our anniversary so if anyone has a nice romantic suggestion for somewhere along the route, that would be great. I know a lot of this has been asked but there is so much info its overwhelming. Thanks!

Day 1: Fly into Vegas, overnight near the airport

Day 2: Las Vegas to Sedona, arriving around 2 pm
• Explore downtown Sedona
• Dinner
• Chapel of the Holy Cross. Watch sunset around here or Airport Mesa

Day 3: Sedona - hikes

Day 4: Sedona to Grand Canyon, arriving early afternoon, overnight in park (Yavapai)
• Visit the numerous view points - Lipan Point, Grandview Point, and Mohave Point ,Watch Sunset

Day 5: Grand Canyon to Page AZ
  • Early morning views of the Grand Canyon
  • Drive towards Page
  • Antelope and Horseshoe Bend
Day 6: ????

Day 7: Bryce Canyon
• Early morning hike to Bryce Canyon
• Navajo trail and Queen Garden Loop
• Drive to various viewpoints in Bryce Canyon National Park

Day 8: early morning from Bryce to Zion, overnight in Springdale

Day 9: Full day in Zion - hike the narrows

Day 10: Most of the day at Zion. Drive to Las Vegas

Day 11: Full day in Vegas, fly out at midnight
Old May 31st, 2018, 03:48 AM

I have two suggestions for day 6:

1. Drive from Page to Capitol Reef NP and explore a bit then take spectacular rt 12 south through Escalante etc. towards Bryce. Spend the night along the way or near Bryce.

2. Add a night to Bryce or Zion.

If you do choice 2, on day 10, leave Zion in the morning and on the way back to Vegas, loop through Valley of Fire State park, and drive out along Lake Meade to Hoover Dam before heading for Vegas.

Do always have extra water and snacks in your car, fill the gas tank when it gets to a half and drive in daylight to avoid hitting large animals on the road. We've seen elk, deer, antelope, cattle and horses on the roadways and some of these roads are "open range" areas.

Have a fantastic trip.
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:04 AM

The Wave is by permit lottery. Your chances are very limited of winning the lottery so I wouldn't plan on that.

Your other her choices are basically divided between whether you would prefer rock scenery and hiking or water related and that's a personal preference.

Since most of your trip centers around the beautiful rock scenery, you might want to spend that day doing something on water. You could do a smooth water raft trip down the Colorado, or go on a kayak tour or take a boat trip to Rainbow Bridge. These options are out of the Page area
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:08 AM

emalloy's recommendation of rt. 12 to Capitol Reef is also a nice option.
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:18 AM

As bailey123 mentioned, the half day smooth water raft trip out of Page, from the dam to Lee's ferry was nice.
Old May 31st, 2018, 06:43 AM

I would add a day to Zion - you're already jumping around quite a bit and I don't see much need to add another one night stay somewhere else.

You could do the half day rafting trip in the afternoon of day 5, visit Antelope and Horseshoe Bend the morning of day 6 and still make Bryce that afternoon. Check out viewpoints and hike Rainbow Point in the afternoon and check out the night sky after dark. Get up early for sunrise, do the hoodoo hike and head to Zion for the next 3 days. Highly recommend that you get lodging inside the park at the Grand Canyon - not as critical at Bryce and Zion.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 03:00 PM

bailey123
Normally, 100 people trying to win 10 tickets/day
1:10 are you odds
To cheer you, I've won 3 times

vaga
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, super helpful. It might be a nice mid- way break to take a day to do some of the water activities. To answer some of the other questions, we are staying in the GC at Yavapai but outside at Bryce and Zion. There weren't any rooms available in the paidp so we're staying at the Bryce Canyon motel and then the Springdale Marriott. We're Airbnbing it in Sedona and haven't booked anything for Page or that extra day yet.

Are there any preferred driving routes to any of these destinations? Or is Google Maps pretty much the best bet?
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 06:30 PM

The most scenic route from Sedona is 89A to Flagstaff then 180 to 64 to GC. Of course, you will hear naysayers criticizing going through Flag but I still enjoy this route. Leaving GC, just follow the south rim east and take advantage of viewpoints along the way until you intersect 89, then head north to Page. There is a Marriott in Page as well, and is one of the better places to stay in Page for Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend and for your water day. Leaving Page, the natural route through Kanab to Bryce, then to Springdale makes the most sense.
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 10:19 PM

Sedona is very gorgeous but also very touristic! Enjoy it but I'd not "waste" too much time there!