Two Weeks in Canadian Rockies?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beginning planning for a possible two week trip next summer -- probably the first two weeks of September. I've been to the Canadian Rockies numerous times and spend a lot of time staying in various places, but my partner -- who has never been -- only has two weeks. The goal is a relaxing time, so we don't want to do a ton of driving, yet want to be able to experience a fair amount. He's never done rafting, so that would be fun, maybe horseback riding, mostly hiking and enjoying scenery. I LOVE Glacier National Park (US) and would like to incorporate a few days in one of the lodges there -- Jenny Lake the best choice?. Otherwise, I suspect we'll need to fly in and out of Calgary as rental cars from Canada to US or vice-versa usually don't work. Is there a logical loop rather than returning the same way?

I guess I'm looking for some idea of how to break the trip up including some nice places to stay. I'm usually not very big on those huge lodges filled with tour groups like the Banff Springs Hotel, but yet we love the big lodge feel -- perhaps mixed with a nice quiet cabin somewhere beautiful. I've been sitting looking and reviewing various places for hours and can't seem to get a handle on how to organize this one. Any great suggestions? Looking at flying out there on Saturday and returning two weeks later on a Sunday.

And yes, I'll also post this under Canada, but suspect I'll get more response here.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 06:53 AM

I love that area! We too hate places that attract huge busloads of people, but absolutely loved Banff Springs. Two other places that we have stayed that are also great but with totally different feels to them are Emerald Lake Lodge and Baker Creek Chalets. Baker Creek is between Banff and Lake Louise on the Bow Valley Parkway. They have a small lodge but it is mostly individual cabins. They are not luxury, but well kept and a fantastic location. We stumbled upon those on our honeymoon years ago and keep going back. There are other cabins in the area that are more luxury as well.

BTW, September is a great time there, IMO.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 07:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I consider Glacier National Park to be every bit as beautiful as Banff or Jasper.
In 20005 DW and I spent our 30th anniversary at the Meadow Lake Resort near Columbia Falls MT. http://www.meadowlake.com/
The week before we were in Jasper for 2 nights.
We were on a train trip. We were picked up by Meadow Lake staff and had a car delivered the next day from the Kallispell airport. On that trip we drove up as far as the Lake McDonald Lodge where the gate to the GTTS road was closed.
On a two week trip I don't see the point of staying at two places so far apart that are so similar.
BTW the Empire Builder is cheaper per mile than the ViaRail Canadian. I have never flown into Canada so I won't comment on flying to Calgary.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM

If you like Glacier and have not been to the Waterton, Canadian side, then consider staying at the Prince of Wales Hotel that sits high above the lake, the views are amazing.

Just south of Jasper are a couple bungalow, cabin, chalet type places to stay, Jasper House Bungalows and Becker's Chalets. Some have fireplaces as well as a porch overlooking the river.

In Yoho, try Cathedral Mountain Lodge and Chalets. Emerald Lake Lodge also looked great.

I would fly RT to Calgary and rent a car there. I think the Columbia Icefield Hwy is spectacular both ways, and is one route I do not mind backtracking.

Disclaimer - the last time we were there was a few years ago and I pulled these names from notes I made on that trip so I am assuming that all these places are still in business. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 02:17 PM

We have dined at Emerald Lake Lodge (food was good) but didn't stay there.

For sheer knock-out gorgeous scenery, I would pick Moraine Lake Lodge for the larger luxury lodge free of tour groups, and Lake O'Hara Lodge in Yoho for the small, intimate cabin feel.

http://www.morainelake.com/

http://www.lakeohara.com/

We love Glacier NP and have hiked there a lot, but these two lodges top any accommodations offered in Glacier by a large margin. Unfortunately after this summer's trip to Alaska it will be a few years before we can afford lodges like these again!