Reload this Page >

Two twenty-somethings in WDW

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 08:59 AM
Bernadette

My boyfriend and I will be in Florida visiting family for 2 weeks. I've never been to WDW, so I don't really know what to expect. We're in our mid-twenties, and we like to have fun. We can't spend too much money (maybe about $150 per), so could you suggest something that we could do? I was thinking of going to two of the parks and staying overnight somewhere. We'll have a car as we are driving down from Jacksonville. Any help would be appreciated!

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 10:10 AM
Larry

While you don't have a ton of $ to spend, it could still be a lot of fun. On your budget, you won't be able to afford on-site hotels, and since you'll only be there one night why bother with someplace really nice. I suggest staying in nearby Kissimmee,you should find plenty of (reasonably) clean and safe hotels for about $50/night. There are also many fast food and chain restaurants in that area as well ot save a few bucks on meals (eating on Disney property cannot always be avoided, but it is expensive). For your age, I would suggest doing Epcot one day and then either Universal studios or MGM the next. You also might enjoy Pleasure Island for an evening out, but it will cost you almost $40 for the both of you to get in and drinks are expensive. Church Street in Orlando might be a slightly less expensive alternative to P.I. I visited Orlando from Miami many times with pretty much the same budget you have (sometimes much less), and while you always wish you had more cash to spend, you still should have a great time.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 10:54 AM
maryp1

I agree with the previous post, stay at an off property hotel. Just about any hotel in Kissimee will do, for around $50 a night.
Then see if you can swing a park hopper pass, although i don't think they have the 2 day park hopper anymore. If you can get one do it, it will save you $$ over buying individual park admissions.

Skip the Magic Kingdom - unless you have a really strong desire to ride on the Its A Small World Ride. I would suggest starting EARLY at Epcot (there is so much to see there), then going to MGM or Animal Kingdom on your 2nd day.

There's alot to do, even n a limited budget. You may want to save yourself some $$ and stay away from buying any food on Disney property, pack a bag lunch and bring some sodas with you!

Most of all enjoy yourself.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 12:38 PM
x

Skip the night in the motel. You are not married, and people might talk.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 09:10 AM
Kim

Skip reading the above post- there are many idiots on this site but most of the people are helpful (like everyone else who gave you advice). I agree with the Kississmee suggestion since you have a car and are only planning to stay one night it's the best choice. My friends (late 20's) love Pleasure Island but I have never been so I can't say if it's worth the $. Have fun!

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 09:51 AM
Deb

Pleasure Island is fun...it's open at night. It can get a bit expensive. I think it is $15-20 to get into Pleasure Island...once you're there, it's like a little village-with lots of stores and different kinds of bars. You don't have to pay any cover to get into the bars, but the drinks can add up.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 09:55 AM
AC

Hi Bernadette:
Try not to miss Universal Studios. I prefer it to Magic Kingdom.
If you know someone who belongs to AAA they can get you reduced priced tickets. Church Street Station in downtown Orlando is a fun place, too. The drinks can be pricey so keep that in mind. Have a great time!

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:05 PM
Bernadette

Thanks for all the good advice! I am a member of AAA, and I hadn't realized that I could get discount tickets through that. We'll definitely do Epcot and then probably MGM or Universal. Then we'll do Kissimmee instead of staying on-site. As always, true Fodorites have come through for me! Oh, and we might try Pleasure Island as well. Thanks a lot!

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 05:11 AM
cherry

As a 20 something who lived 20 mins from Orlando this is my sugg. Stay in Kiss. just as everyone else says then spend the day at Epcot, you'll do tons of walking and will have a great night display to close out the park. I'd skip pleasure island and go to church street station for late night fun. The next day sleep in, have a nice breakfast and head over to Sea World. In all the time I lived in Florida I refused to go, and I love animals, I thought it would be boring and to $$$ for what you get. Wrong. You can watch the shows, feed and pet some dolphins, and ride the best flume ride in all of Florida. It's generally not packed like the other parks and the the lines are minimal for anything. If you have your heart set on MGM or Universal then prob. go to Universal. The atmosphere is much better at Disney but Universal's rides are better, just be prepared that it is more a 6 flags type park.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 06:22 PM
david

I live in Orlando and have been to all the parks a zillion times. Islands of Adventure in Universal Studios is more user friendly than the rest. You can do it all in one day and parking is easy. If you want to blow a wad on a great meal, Emeril's at City Walk is probably the best in town, call reservations now. Downtown Disney and Church Street are free and fun places to walk around at night. Fishbones and Vito's Chop House are great restaurants in the I-Drive area.