Search

Orlando airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 04:38 PM
Barbara

Orlando airport

Going to Disney world on Dec. 19. We are not renting a car. What is the best way to get to our hotel from the airport. Also we are arriving on 2 different airlines. Delta and Frontier. Is the airport vey large.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 05:42 AM
Betty Ann

The Orlando airport is small, clean, new and very user friendly. You shouldn't have any trouble meeting your other party. As for transportation, I suggest you contact your hotel. They would know the best/easiest/cheapest way. Perhaps they have a shuttle van or can recommend a service.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Kay

There are several van services, some with websites with discount coupons. I think they are linked to the Orlando airport website (or check earlier Orlando posts here). Your airlines will probably arrive at different terminals. You ride a train into the main terminal and baggage claim. If one of your party is going to arrive much earlier than the other, there is a large shopping and dining area in the center of the terminal along the moving sidewalks. You may want to agree to meet at the baggage claim area of the party arriving last.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 04:15 PM
BJ

Here is the website for the Orlando International Airport.
I found it quickly by using my favorite search engine (Google) at www.google.com and the search phrase: orlando florida airport.

http://fcn.state.fl.us/goaa/menutrns.htm

Once it comes up on your screen click on the yellow labels on the photo to be taken to those specific web pages for detailed info.

Be sure to check with your hotel to learn if they have a free (or low cost) shuttle. Many of the larger ones do.

Most large hotels/motels also now have their own websites. Again, use "google" to find the hotel's website.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 01:48 AM
Fwhiteside

Be aware there are two airports that serve Orlando, Orlando International & Sanford. MOst people arrive at OI but not all......

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 07:52 AM
rob

mears shuttle is the largest service....never used them as i live here.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 08:11 AM
ilisa

We used Tiffany Town Car on our last trip to Disney and would not hesitate to use them again. I liked them much better than Mears because they took us directly to the hotel, rather than wait for the shuttle to drop off and pick up other passengers at other resorts. Tiffany is $70 round trip. For 2 people, this is more expensive than Mears. However, the larger the party, the more economical it is. Their website is www.tiffanytowncar.com. No, I don't get anything from referring a person. I just like the service.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 09:48 AM
Christy

We've been to WDW 2 times in the past 3 years and both times we've used Mears Shuttle Service. It was $25 a person round trip. They take a van load at a time to the hotel and picked up in a bus to go back to the airport. The drivers were nice, but the ride to your hotel can seem to take forever if other people get dropped off before you do. It's very convenient.

As far as the airport goes, you have to take a tram from where your gate is to get your luggage. You could probably meet right around where the trams docks. I believe there is a big sitting area there. Have fun!

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 08:39 AM
Pam

We traveled to Orlando airport last year, you have to take a tram - after you collect your luggage and then give it back ????? - load onto the tram and head for the main building. Then wait in line and pass security to receive your luggage again ???? A real pain in the ?!?!?!? at midnight with kids. Part of our group flew out of Orlando and everything was great. We went on and flew out of St.Pete's - you've got to love the little airports. Best of luck - hope you don't have to pick up your luggage twice also.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 11:52 AM
Mark

Yeah it really depends on the size of your party and the conveinence you want. The towncar idea is great, I went that way and I send many of my clients that way. It is direct service, no stopovers at other resorts, unlike some of the shuttles. Check with your hotel and see if they have shuttle service, they may not. If you want town car service, let me know.

Mark
www.enjoyyourtravel.com

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 05:59 PM
Lori

We've used Mears Shuttle, and we had what I'd consider a slight problem on our return trip. We called to be picked up at our hotel and there was another party leaving that morning from our hotel also. Convenient for them, but very inconvenient and uncomfortable for us. I was looking at all of us and looking at the luggage and thinking "There's no WAY they can get us all into that van!". Well, they did, but I don't want to ever have to ride that way again. That van was packed to the rafters with people; some kids had to sit on parents' laps, etc. and don't forget all the luggage!

At least with a taxi or limo you have control over who you ride with and when.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 05:30 AM
Owen O'Neill

I flew in and out of Orlando International last month and I don't understand the comment ab9out multiple security checkpoints. I simply checked my large bag at the counter and took my carryon with me. To the best of my recollection, there was only one security checkpoint to pass through. Perhaps I just don't recall a second checkpoint... There are a few separate departure gate areas for different airlines but each has its own small selection of food court stands and vendors. They are all connected to the main terminal and baggage area a fast and convenient automatic monorail system. If you have a lengthy wait the main terminal is a better place to be - more seating available, more food choices and a variety of shops including a few sit-down style restaurants. All told, it's one of the nicest and most efficient small airports that I've visted.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 06:31 AM
ilisa

In all the times I have flown into Orlando airport, I have never had to go through 2 security checkpoints or pick up my luggage twice. We've gotten off the plane, took a tram/monorail to the main terminal, picked up our luggage, and left the airport. So, I also don't understand the comments about 2 checkpoints.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 02:42 PM
Neville

Pam,
I see you come from Canada. I flew into Orlando from England and had the same experience, couldn't understand why they had to do it, must be something to do with International flights. Anyway it's a real pain, and most puzzling, havn't had it at other airports in the US

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 06:30 PM
david

I've flown about 120k miles this year and been to 45 different airports. OIA is the the most user friendly and well signed I've seen. I have no idea what this double security thing someone posted is about. Many rental cars are on-property, unfortunately Hertz is not, but it's about 5 minutes away.