Two sisters heading to New Mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are planning a week-long trip to New Mexico in September, concentrating on Santa Fe. We need to find a great place to stay, some spa facilities that hopefully include yoga, and would love to see as much of the landscape and culture of the state as we can. We could really use some advice on lodging! We've been searching for something within walking distance from the plaza that will be quiet.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM

We've stayed at two different casitas from luxury casitas--http://www.luxurycasita.com/ both were very nice and quiet and within walking distance of the plaza.

The only spa I've been to in Santa is 10,000 Waves--though no yoga there. http://www.tenthousandwaves.com/ the Waterfall Tub is lovely.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Do you want a hotel, a motel, B&B or a condo/casita rental? What price range? Will you spend the entire week in 1 place?

September is one of the busiest times of year here, so keep that in mind.

Spa - are you looking for rustic; new age; luxury [like Elizabeth Arden Red Door]??

Deb
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:12 PM

The first one that comes to mind that includes both a spa and yoga is Bishops Lodge. Free yoga (well, not free since you pay a 'resort fee'.) It isn't on the plaza but 10 minutes up Bishop's Lodge Road. Beautiful location!! They have a shuttle that provides r/t transportation to the plaza area. Or, you can drive and park which isn't a hassle unless it is a festival weekend.

www.bishopslodge.com

Next choice is La Posada de Santa Fe. Very nice spa facility but I'm not sure if they have yoga. Good location from the plaza area. Nice bar, outdoor patio and rooms. They are running a special right now for $175/night.

http://laposada.rockresorts.com/

I highly recommend Ten Thousand Waves. A serene Japanese day spa set in the mountains and is one of the top destination spas in the US. They also have lodging but you will need your own transportation into town.

www.tenthousandwaves.

More rustic spa destination is Ojo Caliente.

http://ojocalientesprings.com

Lodging without a spa:

Inn on the Alameda - close to the plaza, big breakfast buffet and wine in the afternoon, nice southwest decor.

El Farolito - just off of the plaza, too. Small, quaint place with charming rooms and also breakfast is served. Very cute.

Four Katchinas -- sister property of El Farolito I believe. Another charming place that exudes southwest charm. A short walk to the plaza (5-10 minutes).

Inn & Spa at Loretto -- I haven't tried their spa but it's a bigger place than the others I have mentioned. It feels like a hotel but it is decorated in the southwest decor and a great location by the plaza.

Inn of the Governors

Inn of the Anasazi -- just off of the plaza area. Beautiful small hotel with a spa.

My two cents -- I would spend my spa time at Ten Thousand Waves. It's a wonderful experience.

Hope that gets you started.

As Deb posted, if you can give us some guidelines, we can help you more.

BeachGirl
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Hotel or B&B I think and somewhere around $200 to $300ish since we'd like to have more than just a clean plain room. We are thinking of staying in one place and doing day trips from Santa Fe. I just looked at La Fonda and it looks very nice?

Sounds like September might not be the best time to go?

On the spa, I'd like something that offers yoga classes or something similar, maybe meditation or massage. In my mind I see a peaceful, clean space where we can relax. Not a luxury spa. Spa might not really be the right word.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM

If you can't find a hotel/spa/whatever with yoga classes, there are a boatload of yoga studios in Santa Fe. Body and Dahm Yoga are two that come to mind.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Weatherwise, September and October are our best months. Warm sunny days, blue skies and cool, crisp evenings perfect for fires made with pinon wood.

La Fonda may be undergoing renovations. It is a great location, right on the plaza but it may not be that tranquil spot location you seek. There are lots of tourists that troop through the lobby and [great restrooms] and there are several shops in the lobby which add to the busy feel.

Beachie knows her hotels, I would take her recs any day.

Deb
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone! We will check out your recommendations. Thanks to Fodors as well for offering this forum.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Deb, you are again too kind. Sending you a cyber bowl and my green chile stew.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Several years ago, my sister and I checked out all the hotels in Santa Fe in preparation for my parents visit, the one we ended up liking the most was Inn on the Alameda. So I am seconded all of BeachGirls recs and would also like to add that I've stayed at the La Fonda and much prefer the Inn on the Alameda over it.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Take yourself over to Bandelier NP. Not far from SF and very interesting ancient Native American dwellings, carved into the rock of the mountainside. Good hiking opportunities if you go to the smaller section, Tsankwai, 5 miles closer to SF.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

We plan to go to Bandelier and are also interested in Aztec Ruins National Monument (looks like Farmington is the best place to stay a night to explore that area?)Also probably go to Taos. My sister is interested in one night at what looks like an unusual and very rustic spot - Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs. I'd love to see Carlsbad Caverns or the Gila Cliff Dwelling National Monument, but they look pretty far from Santa Fe and I'm not sure we are up for driving so long. Any suggestions or warnings?
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 05:44 PM

You also can stay in Bloomfield, a little closer to Aztec a Best Western and a Super 8 I think. If you go south from there about a half an hour you come to the road into Chaco Canyon NP. It is one of the best examples of the ancient habitation sites. The road in is paved for about 5 miles and then gravel for about 15 miles. If you do go there, make sure it hasn't rained recently as there are dips that could wash out. Get a national park pass at your first NP. It lets you and your companions into all National Parks/Monuments etc. for free for a year. It costs $80 and you will probably save that much in less than a year. If you are a geezer (over62) you can get one for $10 that is good for a lifetime.

Have a great trip
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Carlsbad is about seven hours from Santa Fe; I don't think you have time for it on this trip.

Lee Ann