two nights jersey shore suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, kids and I are coming down from NYC to meet friends from Baltimore for two nights in August. There'll be five kids under 11. Any suggestions on nice places to stay? We prefer quieter towns like Stone Harbour and would like to avoid motels. Any suggestions?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM

Well, there aren't really any chain or big hotels in the area, only local motels, and B&B's that people run out of their homes. These can be quite nice.

Stone Harbor is great for families and kids, but is mostly house and apartment rentals; there are just a couple motels near town center that I can think of.

Another possibility is one of the grand old hotel/palaces on the boardwalk at Ocean City.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM

ocean city nj, wildwood crest nj, brigantine, nj.

ocean city with the board walk will have the most for kids.

wildwood crest more of a family town but you can always drive up to the boardwalk in wildwood.

brigantine, for the beaches and there is always atlantic city just next door.

anything further north and your friends are doing all the driving! two nights is hard to find a rental other than a hotel room or possibly a b&b. enjoy
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:00 AM

Your's is the million dollar question about the NJ shore.Lots of weekly, expensive rentals with few decent-quality motels. Why don't you try another POST focusing on Cape May? Weekdays as late in the month would the best choice.Your friends could come via the CM.Lewis Ferry.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:24 AM

I second Cape May.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:48 PM
LSC

The Marriot Seaview is an old resort that Marriot took over several years ago. It is beautiful and has pools, golf, and tennis. However, it is not on the ocean. I think it is 15-20 minutes from the Shore and not too far from AC, too. Having said that, Cape May is always a favorite for me.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:10 PM

Cape May is wonderful with kids -- especially that age. The small boardwalk has enough to entertain them in the evenings, but is small enough to be manageable, and above all, it's about as safe as it gets.

I stayed with my kids at the Chalfonte in Cape May for years starting when they were about age 4 and 6 -- absolutely not a motel, but with features you may enjoy: A children's separate supervised dining room for breakfast and dinner so that adults can eat in peace (and the food is superb!) and give everyone a break. Brakfast and dinner are included in the room rate. I believe they now have a special cottage for families.

It may not be for everyone -- no TV, air conditioning, or phones in the rooms -- but my kids still take me (in my dotage) every summer for at least a few days. I believe those are the most special memories they have of any place we ever traveled. Check the website for particulars. I'd be interested if anyone has comments on this?

B/
Old May 8th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll focus on Cape May and check out the Chalfont. Perhaps, if that's not available I'll look into the Marriot.