Two days on Oregon Coast

Search

Two days on Oregon Coast

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two days on Oregon Coast

We will have two days on the Oregon coast the last week of June as part of our 11 day trip to Oregon and Washington. We are Dad, Mom, and two kids 12 and 15. We like great scenery, wildlife, nature walks, art galleries. Not interested in long hikes (more than a mile), wineries, antiques, shopping.

Here is what I have planned:
Leave Portland on Monday morning (staying in Clackamas). Head to coast just north of Lincoln City via I-5, Hwy 22 and Hwy 18. Drive the Three Cape Scenic Loop from south to north, stopping for views and short hikes. Visit Tillamook Cheese Factory for tour and ice cream.

Drive to Cannon Beach, possibly stop at Oswald West State Park on the way. Look around Cannon Beach and check out the tide pools around Haystack Rock. Stop at Ecola State park on the way out of town for views of Haystack Rock and Tillamook Lighthouse. Spend the night in Seaside, let the kids enjoy the Prom.

Tuesday morning head to Astoria, stopping at Fort Clatsop on the way. May make a detour to Fort Stevens first. In Astoria plan on seeing the Column, riding the riverfront trolley, just touring. Head to Kelso Washington via Hwy 30 to spend the night in preps for visiting Mt St Helens on Wednesday.

Specific questions:
1. Is there a better route to take me to the coast near Three Capes Loops?
2. Everything I read about the Three Capes Loop talks about it from north to south. Does it matter that I’m going in the other direction?
3. Have I missed any good parks along the way? Should I skip any on my list due to time constraints?
4. Where is the best place to watch the sunset from Cannon Beach to Seaside?
5. Should we cross the river at Astoria and take Hwy 401 and 4 to Kelso? If this is more scenic is it worth the extra time?
6. Anything else?

Thanks, Rich
(man that was long!)
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM

If Three Capes Loop is the goal, any reason not to take hwy 26 for 25 +/- miles west to hwy 6, which intersects with hwy 101 in Tillamook? Much, much quicker! Three Capes Loop is a loop, and the south to north just means head south when you come to the "Y" at the beginning of the loop.

If you decide to take I-5/22/18 instead, I recommend the short hike out Cascade Head for one of the best views on the coast.

Oswald West and Ecola are both worthy of a stop. There are others, but your itinerary on day 1 is already tight, whichever way you get to Tillamook. I'm guessing that once you get into Tillamook Cheese, you'll decide to cut your time there short.

Except for Ecola, there is no good beach access between Cannon Beach and Seaside, so you'll have to pick one or the other. Ecola is north of CB, but there is no road heading north out of the park; you essentially have to backtrack. Personally, I'd choose Cannon Beach for sunset, with Haystack Rock. But sun won't set until 9:15pm - 9:30pm, so you might opt for Seaside.

It would be nice if you could better even out your activities between days; you've got a lot jammed into day 1, without much in day 2. It's been a long time since I crossed the river at Astoria. And as I get older, I'm less inclined to drive across that bridge. The scenery to Kelso is I'm sure better that way, but I think there's not much to see with either route.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:19 PM

Obviously, it doesn't matter to me in which direction I do the Three Capes Loop! I think I've only done the northern part! Can't imagine why it would make a difference which direction you're going, though.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:54 PM

If you like art galleries, check out the Valley Bronze gallery in Astoria. www.valley bronze.com It's a beautiful art gallery located in downtown Astoria.

Since you like to nature walks, you could walk the trail up to the Astor Column, it's a fun, short hike for kids. Oswald West also is a short hike to the beach there, Short Sands Beach that will take you back to a very pretty cove. There is also a nice trail from the parking lot at Ecola that will take you to Indian Beach. All of my kids did this short but fun hike when they were young.

Make sure you go to the viewing station by the Cannery Cafe to see the sea lions frolicking out in the surf. If you would like suggestions for great eats in Astoria, I'll be happy to recommend some places for you. Have a great time on the coast! ***kim***
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:31 AM

Let me try this once more, Rich. If you want to hit the coast just north of Lincoln City, the best route from Clackamas would probably be I-205/I-5(N)/Tualatin-Sherwood hwy/99W/18. Figure 2.5-3 hours. Alternatively, you could take hwy 26 from Portland west to hwy 6 to Tillamook if you want to drive the Loop from north to south. You'd get to the coast more quickly, but you'd lose some of that time in backtracking up 101. Still, this might be the shortest route overall timewise.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:58 PM

Hi Rich,

I think you have planned a very busy Monday. Driving along the coast is slow going and tiring.

I suggest driving to Cannon Beach, rather than to north of Lincoln City. Then you would have plenty of time to check out Oswald S.P., Hug Point (very nice), and Ecola S.P. (spectacular), as well as Cannon Beach and the tide pools around Haystack Rock (check the tide tables).

The Three Capes Loop is enchanting-especially the Cape Meares Lighthouse-but it is off the beaten track and takes time. It can't be rushed.

“Have I missed any good parks along the way?” Yes, Hug Point.

I would trade some of the time in Astoria for Cape Disappointment S.P. in Washington or from the drive to Kelso on the Washington side.

“Should I skip any on my list due to time constraints?” Yes, Tillamook and Three Capes.

“Where is the best place to watch the sunset from Cannon Beach to Seaside?” Every place is good.

“Should we cross the river at Astoria and take Hwy 401 and 4 to Kelso? If this is more scenic is it worth the extra time?” It is much more scenic and, in my opinion, well worth the time. Check out the little town of Cathlamet along the way.

Happy Trails

Old May 4th, 2005, 11:44 AM

During a stay at Cannon Beach last year we did a round-trip to Tillamook and the Three Capes. It took most of the day.

Manzanita is a delightful little town just south of Oswald West S.P.

Cannon Beach has loads of interesting shopping of the kind you seem to like.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

I changed my reservation from Seaside to Surfsand Resort in Cannon Beach. This will help us even out activities between the two days. We will take Hwy 26 and 6 to Tillamook and start our adventure there.

Can anyone recomment a good casual seafood restaraunt for supper in CB?
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Good call on the itinerary change. You might even cut a little more by just doing the Capes Lookout and Meares part of the Loop.

Pretty much everything in Cannon Beach is casual. If you've visited SurfSand's website you know the Wayfarer is next door. As things are in CB, it's on the upper end of casual pricewise. We've stayed at SurfSand many times but have only (I guess) dined (would be the right word) at the Wayfarer a couple times. To me, it just doesn't seem to fit in with CB's vibe (though others here will disagree).

Our favorite low-middle end casual place is Ecola Seafood Market in the center of town. It actually is a seafood market, but has dining tables with order-at-the-counter service. Most of the menu is deep-fried seafood of some sort, but they have other choices too, including chowder.

Old May 5th, 2005, 10:58 AM

We had a very nice meal at the Wayfarer a few weeks ago. I had the sea scallops that were very good. If you want a nice view of Haystack Rock, Mo's isn't too bad. Very casual. I like the blackened salmon there and it seemed to have improved from numerous previous visits. ***kim***
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:01 PM

As usual, I completely agree with Beachbum. We have stayed at the Surfsand numerous times, and it has always been great. We have also eaten at the Wayfarer and the Ecola Seafood Market and both are great.
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:59 PM

There is no more family a seaford restaurant than Mo's-nicely situated on the beach at the south end of town.

I'm glad you decided to stay in Cannon Beach--one of my favorite places.
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:25 PM

www.moschowder.com is the website to check it out! We also had a nice halibut meal at Cafe Mango in downtown Cannon Beach. I would like to try the Bistro next month. It was recommended by the owner of the Wine Haus in Seaside. ***kim***