Search

Oregon Coast

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon Coast

Hello,

Would anybody know how long it would take to drive from Portland, to Astoria and than all the way down the coast to the California border. I know that is a vague question but and want to get an idea on how much time I need to set aside to do this. I was looking to at least stay a day around Gold Beach and take one of the jet boat trips.
I am looking on doing this late July or August.
Does anybody have any tips or suggestions for me?

Thanks....
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:47 AM

Well...about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to Astoria from Portland. I've never done it all in one shot, but I'd guestimate 6-8 hours driving down to California. Depends how much you stop, plus 101 goes through many small towns with 30mph even 20mph(!) speed limits. There are also plenty of stretches of 55mph, but traffic can slow if someone in a camper is doing 45 and no one can pass. You just have to be patient.

By August the coast can get foggy/hazy in the morning, lasting until past noon. September is really a better month to go.

AAA, if you are a member, publishes an "Oregon Coast Tour Map" detailing all the highlights on your drive down.

Personally, I would recommend starting on the coast at Lincoln City and head south from there. There are a few highlights north of there, but to the south of there is generally the most beautiful part of the coast. An hour of so of the drive 101 down to Lincoln City is inland a bit, not great views of the ocean. However, just north of Lincoln City is a nice hike/view at Cascade Head.

Andrew
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:30 PM

I haven't ever done the whole thing but I would say easily 8 hours. My map program which is pretty good at estimating hours says 8:35. I think it would feel much longer than that though.

If you want to see Astoria which I recommend it is probably best to just go down Hwy 101. If you don't though I recommend going out Hwy 26 from Portland to Cannon Beach and down that way. Many people like Cannon Beach for a stop. Otherwise I agree Lincoln City is the place to start.

The jet boats are great. I have done them twice. If you can possibly afford it do the long trip - it just gets exciting where the others turn around. I have been pleased with Jerry's.

How much time do you have? Assuming you are starting in Astoria..... Astoria is great, lots to see; Astoria column, wonderful marine museum, Fort Clatsop. Then head south. Seaside has lots to do; boardwalk, shops, and bumper cars. It tends to appeal to the teen crowd. As mentioned Cannon Beach is popular. Stop for some ice cream in Tillamook and watch them making cheese.

Lincoln City has an outlet store complex if that is your thing. Newport has great beaches, aquarium, marine science center (free/donation). It has a nice waterfront shopping street, fun to go through all the little stores (I did not say they had great stuff though, some of it is fun to see just for the junk they sell). Many people like Yachats, not sure I see the huge attraction but might be a nice place to stop mid-way on the coast. Florence also has a fun downtown and some nice beaches. Buy or bring a kite and fly. There are also lots of dunes if you want to rent a 4 wheeler or go on a dune buggy.

Bandon has cranberries and another downtown and nice beaches. The cheese factory is fun to sample all different types of cheeses. Then Gold Beach has the jet boat tours.

This is pretty general but hopefully it will get you started. I think it would be do-able in 2-3 days if you moved right along.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:37 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The others are right. Allow 1 1/2 hrs from Portland to Astoria (see below) and about 7 to the state line south of Brookings. Stops, food, overnights, traffic extra.

From Portland I would strongly suggest following the Washington side of the river - scenic, nice detours, cute towns, then the bridge across the river mouth into Astoria is awesome.

The premier photo op on the coast is the Heceta Head lighthouse, a little north of Florence. Look for directional signs because it's easy to fly by the park entrance or the highway pullouts if you're driving south.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:39 PM

Tillamook has a funky old west museum. Fun to see, especially if you like cowboys.

The Blue Heron Cheese Factory, a mile or more south of the Tillamook Cheese Factory has wonderful cheeses and lots of tasties, including wine tasting.

How much time do you have?
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have replied.
Do you think that 3 days would be enough to go down the coast?
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:37 AM

As others have written, it depends on what you want to do. But if one of the days is the jet-boat trip, the other two will only be enough to scratch the surface of all there is to do and see.

In addition to what others have mentioned, there's some of the best golf in the country at Bandon Dunes, and dune buggy rides near Florence. One of my newly discovered favorites is watching the hang-gliders over the beach at Oceanside, one of the small communities along the Three Capes loop outside of Tillamook.