Reload this Page >

Two day stay in Philadelphia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Ken

If you have visited Philidelphia recently, what were your highlights of visit and hotels in historic areas and good food. enjoy shops and antiques in downtown areas.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Jill

Ken,
My husband and I went to Philadelphia in 1998. We went to see all of the historic sites and had a good time. The two things I think of first when I remember our trip, however, are the Reading Terminal Market and a burmese restaurant, Rangoon. Both of these are downtown.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Amy

Fork, on Market Street just down from Franklin Court, has great food and a cool ambiance, and the surrounding "Old City" area has some interesting and unique shops. Definitely do the Reading Terminal for lunch one day. One Liberty Center is a "mall", but a good one, at 17th and Chestnut.
If you haven't seen the historic sites, they are of course a must, with the guided tour of Independence Hall leading the way. City Hall is also a terrific building, with tours available. Depending on when you come, there is a night time sound and light show of the historic sites that has gotten really good reviews. The Art Museum is always good, and there is in fact a pretty good restaurant right in it. Le Bec Fin is still a marvelous experience (exquisite food in a jewel box setting) but it is, of course, a bit pricey and you do need reservations quite a bit in advance. Oh, I could go on forever...Have a wonderful time!

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 07:17 PM
btilke

Take a walk up Delancey Street, starting at Front Street and ending around 6th Street. Then pick it up again at 18th St. through 23rd. In between 6th and 18th, check out Antiques Row on Pine Street. For food, a few recommendations:
1. Coffee at La Colombe on 19th Street, just near Walnut Street. The best coffee in town and the place where the Philly Eurocrowd hangs out. If it's a nice day, get your coffee to go and have it in Rittenhouse Square. Otherwise, have it there, but only if you're not bothered by cigarette smoke (see above, Eurocrowd).
2. Weekday afternoon tea (2:30 to 4:00 pm) at The Plough and Star on 2nd and Chestnut (entrance is on 2nd Street). Best afternoon tea in town and it's very hearty--the sandwiches are pate, smoked salmon, best egg salad I've ever had, ham and blue cheese topped with fresh pear. Pastries almost always include chocolate dipped strawberries. Not available weekends.
3. Pizza at Mama Palma's on 23rd and Spruce. Consistently wins awards for best pizza in town and no tourists! Just the Rittenhouse/Fitler Square crowds and some Penn students.

Don't miss the Art Museum--it really is world class. And try and fit a visit in to Reading Terminal Market.
Btilke

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Erin

Hello--I am from Philadelphia so I am trying not to let my bias get in the way (I love everything!). But I remember as a kid, going to the historical points, and just loving Elfreth's Alley. I'm not up on history but I think it's the oldest street in the U.S. (please correct me if I'm wrong). Betsy Ross's house is on this street and people are still living in the houses. I remember it being almost magical!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Dave

Historic area- Do ranger tour of Independence hall, see Elfreth's alley, Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross house, Art Museum;

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 08:09 AM
jim

For interesting dining, try the Victor Cafe. Food is good, and waiters and waitresses sing opera while serving. It's great.
One warning: Make reservations NOW or you'll be shut out.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Daniel Williams

Look up my postings from a few months ago: "Mad About Philadelphia" and "Mad About Philadelphia Again" and you'll see me expound about the things I love to do in Philly. Not mentioned by others here are a walk through Chinatown (within easy walking distance of the historic areas) grabbing Dim Sum for lunch (I enjoy H.K. Golden Phoenix on Race St.). South St. between 2nd and 9th give you a taste of funky alternative Philadelphia; parallel to South one street north (Spruce?) is Antique Row. Also not mentioned here: I always enjoy going to the earthy South Philly ambience of the open-air (high quality, unbelievably inexpensive) Italian Market...oh, the olives, meats and the cheeses there! (Italian Market on 9th St. between Christian and Washington., 20-25 minute walk from Old City., 5 blocks south of South St.)

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Went in Jan 2001. Stayed at the Sheraton Society Hill. Good hotel, good price. Wasn't excited about the open interior corridors (think Embassy Suites), but the location was great for walking to all the sites. It's a suburban-type hotel in the city center.

Had a very good (and long) meal at Fork. Make reservations.

Had a good meal at Blue Angel. Seemed a bit colder and maybe even a touch snootier than Fork.

South Street's a mess. Wasn't so impressed with it.

See the short film at the visitor's center for a sense of history.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Amy

Erin, I think Elfreth's Alley is "the oldest continuously inhabited street in America", just in case anyone starts asking about the earlier colonies; )

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Howard

For great Italian dining, try Ristorante Panorama at Market & Front Sts. Reservations recommended.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Jo

Two more clarifications- Betsy Ross House is on Arch St. in the same general vicinity as Elfreth's Alley (both are in Old City). Also Sheraton Society Hill is not what I would consider city center. While it is convenient to the historic area and Old City, it is in Society Hill on the far east border. So if you were more interested in Museums and some of the more expensive restaurants e.g. Le Bec-Fin, Susanna Foo, The Fountains you would be better off in Center City.

If you are a Maxfield Parrish/Tiffany fan, stop in the lobby of the Curtis Building (somewhere around 7th and Walnut I believe?). There is a beautiful glass mural called Dream Garden. See it before they rip it out of the building. It is currently at the center of an estate/inheritance debate.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Jo

Two more clarifications- Betsy Ross House is on Arch St. in the same general vicinity as Elfreth's Alley (both are in Old City). Also Sheraton Society Hill is not what I would consider city center. While it is convenient to the historic area and Old City, it is in Society Hill on the far east border. So if you were more interested in Museums and some of the more expensive restaurants e.g. Le Bec-Fin, Susanna Foo, The Fountains you would be better off in Center City.

If you are a Maxfield Parrish/Tiffany fan, stop in the lobby of the Curtis Building (somewhere around 7th and Walnut I believe?). There is a beautiful glass mural called Dream Garden. See it before they rip it out of the building. It is currently at the center of an estate/inheritance debate.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 03:22 AM
Erin

Thanks, everyone, for clarifying my feeble attempt at giving historical facts! Isn't it funny how when you (I) are born and grow up in a city you (I) end up knowing less about it than other places? Maybe it's just me.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Walter

You are not the only Philly native who knews less about their home city than other places. In fact, I had to rely on Fodor's Philadelphia to get info on attractions.

One day should be spent in the historic district, a must see of Philly.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Christine

I am a "transplanted" Philadelphian for four years now. A wonderful hotel in the historic district is the Omni. Also in the historic distric on Market street (btw. 3rd & 4th, right near FORK) is the Benjamin Franklin house, museum, printing press and post office. This is a wonderful, little-mentioned and free attraction that compliments any historic trip. It is self-guided, allowing you to spend as much time there as you'd like. Independence Hall, Libert Bell, etc, are must sees. Most antique shops are on Pine street between 11th & Broad. For people watching (and some antiques), South Street is great. (I disagree with it being "a mess" but its definitely "funky") There is a romantic creperie called Beau Monde one block off South street at 6th and Bainbridge where you can get an excellent dinner and great atmosphere without breaking the budget. If you want to sample a cheesesteak, you should do so at Jim's at South and 4th, and if you want the best french fries anywhere, try Copabannana, also at South & 4th. The Tiffany mosaic is well worth a stop, but, happily, is no longer in danger: the owner has agreed to leave it where it is. Do not miss the Rodin Museum, on the parkway by the Art Museum. It is small, so you won't be overwhelmed, and has wonderful atmosphere. There are so many great restaurants in Philadelphia: if you want to go really upscale (expensive)in Center City try Avenue B, Stipped Bass or Rouge. Fork, Buddakan and Tangerine in Olde City are all wonderful with excellent food and really special atmosphere. Have fun, this is a great town!!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Christine, is that creperie still there or did it move? We tried really hard to find it, even with the exact address when we were there in Jan. Never did find it.

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Jo

Just an update - unfortunately Dream Garden is still in litigation and is not yet safe. (See Phila. Inquirer editorial - April 7) So if anyone has a spare $7 million or so and wants to donate an artwork.....