Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Twenty middle-aged cheap adults in NYC in May--help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I volunteered to organize a Memorial Day weekend trip to NYC for our church choir. These are conservative folks who are sure that they can save a buck and stay outside of Manhattan taking the train or subway into the city. My preference would be to spend more and stay in Manhattan, but I'm clearly out-numbered.

Plan is to arrive on Saturday, check into hotel and spend the rest of the afternoon/evening in Manhattan. Sunday morning is church at Brooklyn Tabernacle and back into the city for the afternoon/evening. Driving home Monday AM.

Budget is under $200 per night, parking is a necessity and one room must be handicapped accessible. Brooklyn hotels look iffy at that price. Should I try Queens or further out? Any suggestions?
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM

There is a hotel two blocks from the Brooklyn Tabernacle called the Nu Hotel, it gets decent reviews on Tripadvisor. The hotel is close to the F,2,3,4,5,R and A trains.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

There are a number of new hotels opening in NYC that may have introductory prices. Includes a Hyatt, two Sheratons, a new Marriott hotel in times square.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM

We have been very pleased with the Hyatt Regency and Westin in Jersey City. Transportation to/from Manhattan is very convenient. Both hotels are regularly available on Hotwire and/or Priceline.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM

Here is the information for the Brooklyn Sheraton, they are currently accepting group reservations, I don't know the rate.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=1727

Jersey City is also another option: Try the Westin Jersey City.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM

THere is one hotel in Manhattan with free parking The Travel Inn on W. 42nd St, and I'll bet if you book QUICKLY and reserve enough rooms you just might get a really good group rate, but you will have to call the hotel ASAP.

Explain to your choir (oh and I'm a singer too, having organized several concert tours to Boston, Washington and the Bahamas, so I understand all the work you are doing) that staying outside Manahattan, might look better at the start, but when you start adding in costs for the bus from NJ and/or taxi and/or parking costs start to add up quickly making what looked like a bargin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
.......not so much,,,when you add in the extras.

You also should try The Ace Hotel on W 29th St and there I can help with the rates. The rooms are quite nice and lots of musicians have been staying there, and heck why not do a mini-concert in the lobby for guests. The hotel does NOT LOOK budget, but IS budget and close to everything. Parking might be the problem there, but maybe the gang can just use public transit to get in and out of the city.

If I can be of any more help, please let me know. I'd love to meet up with you guys when you are here!! Singers,,,,,,well we don't get old we just keep on singin'.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM

Agree that with a group that size you need to make arrangements now. The problem with taking the subway or train from the outskirts into the city is not only the cost but the time involved. It could mean a bus (running every 20 or 30 minutes) to a subway or a rain - and spending 2 or 3 hours a day getting to and fro. Also, parking even in Brooklyn and queens can often be difficult - esp for so many cars.

If you definitely have to be in Brooklyn Sunday am I would try to find out about public transit to your location and very seriously look at the Travel Inn - trying to get a group discount.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:07 PM

I just emailed The Ace (www.acehotel.com) for rates for your group and should hear back tomorrow am. I can give you the name of the Sales Manager when I hear back so you can call directly.

Also where are you coming from? That might make a difference on where in the city we suggest you stay. nytraveler, is also correct in taking the subway to the church on Sunday morning, it will be faster to do that then drive and some of your people will probably get lost. You can't afford to loose some of the choir, lol. We did a concert at The Old North Church, and I was the only soprano, because the other three were lost, trying to find their way around Boston, lol.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:48 PM

We have been very pleased with the Hyatt Regency and Westin in Jersey City. Transportation to/from Manhattan is very convenient. Both hotels are regularly available on Hotwire and/or Priceline.

This would a very inconvenient trip to the Brooklyn Tabernacle, especially early on a Sunday morning under the best of circumstances.

We often make the trip to downtown Brooklyn on weekends and it takes forever with all the subway work they do on Saturday and Sunday. And the re-routing is hard to understand for people who know the subway.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM

Travelbuff

Are you affiliated with the Ace Hotel? In the past you speak of it as a rock n'roll hang out. The poster states they are a onservative church choir. Per your previous descriptions that does not seem appropriate.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM

No, I am NOT affliated with the hotel in ANY way. I happend upon the hotel and got a tour from the Sales Manager who was kind enough to show me 4 rooms in the hotel, so I got a good idea of what the rooms look like. They are all decorated nicely with top linnens and room accessories. The lobby is decorated like one of the National Park lodges.

The hotel is very well priced for New York and I thought the rooms were much bigger than some of the hotels with even higher prices. I have suggested the hotel when posters have asked for a well priced but nice hotel in a good location and this hotel is exactly that.

You might take a look at the website.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 10:53 PM

So, how would getting to Brooklyn be easier from Manhattan than Jersey City, or getting from Brooklyn to Manhattan weekends via MTA?

I though "parking a necessity" and "driving home Monday" meant everyone could drive to Brooklyn Tabernacle.

Though Travel Inn does offer free parking, we've stayed there many times, but before the rate went way up, making it not nearly the value it was previously.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:10 AM

Travelbuff
I am sure the Ace is a fine hotel. It is just you mention it no matter the circumstances. And as I said, a number of times you noted it was rock n' roll hang out and the poster characterized themselves as a conservative church choir. So I thought partying might not be what they in the next room.

Books
The OP poster stated, "These are conservative folks who are sure that they can save a buck and stay outside of Manhattan taking the train or subway into the city."

Hence the descption of the subway on the weekends.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 04:13 AM

If they are driving there is a parking garage across the street from the Brooklyn Tabernacle. From Jersey City they'd take the Holland Tunnel to the Brooklyn Bridge, the church and the garage is less than 5 minutes from the bridge.

If they are staying in Jersey City and taking public transportation, they can take the Path train to the World Train Ctr stop then take the 2/3 to Borough Hall, then walk two blocks to the Church.

If they are staying in Manhattan then their best bet, taking into consideration the MTA weekend maintenance schedule, is to take 2/3 or 4/5 or R to Borough Hall/Court street then walk to the Brooklyn Tabernacle. Not a difficult walk and they will likely run into people heading to the same church as well.

I went to the Tabernacle on the last Sunday of 2009 and the Pastor invited visitors who sang in other choirs to join the BT choir on stage for a few songs, maybe it might happen again with your group.

If you list the hotels that you looked at in Brooklyn, we can help you identify the iffy ones.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 05:52 AM

1) Memorial Day weekend is a great time to find hotel bargains in NYC but they may not be posted yet. What you're likely looking at now on websearches are "rack rates." That said, there are some good AAA or seniors discounts also posted. Whatever you find online, I'd then PHONE hotels you're interested in for prices.

2) Selecting hotels will depend on how many people/beds you need for each room. Would you share that info with us?

3) The Brooklyn Bridge Marriott is on the edge of Brooklyn Heights right near the bridge and less than a 5 minute walk to Brooklyn Tabernacle. There's an AAA rate of $195/night for that weekend for a room for 2. If you're getting 10 rooms, they should do better. In fact, it's listed as a "hotel partner" on the Tabernacle website so they may have a special rate for groups who are attending. http://www.brooklyntabernacle.org/Vi...Center/Hotels/ There are a number of Municipal garages near the hotel. If you're driving in big vans, that does complicate parking though.

If you really want to stay in Manhattan, staying downtown in the financial district might be a good bet as prices there are always cheaper on weekends and it's closer to Brooklyn. The Millenium Hilton, the Marriott Financial and the Embassy Suites are the bigger options down there.

Otoh, I see a very good price for the Residence Inn Times Square which is an excellent hotel that includes breakfast but it's not a great option if you're all planning on sharing rooms. The prepay rate is $159/night, AAA (no prepay) is $169 and regular is $179. Remember hotel taxes in NYC will add ~ 15% to the prices you see listed.

If you wind up staying in Manhattan and need parking, bestparking.com is a website that will show you prices near any hotel you choose.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:53 AM

K-Brooklyn and others

What time do you need to get the Brooklyn Tabernacle?

To the Original Poster

Nearby is Junior's. It is on Fulton Street and Flatbush Avneue and ahs been there for over fifty years. And while they have a full menu, they are renown for their cheese cake.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:15 AM

Aduchamp, you helped me finally make up my mind that I am finished with this board. How dare you insinuate that I am doing anything than trying to help a CHOIR, and if you read my earlier post, I AM A SINGER TOO. I've done choir trips and know how hard it is to organize everything.

If you looked at The Ace website you would see it is a VERY NICE HOTEL.

Be nice if you stopped attacking anyone on this board, you have done it many time.

People like me come here to help, this is kind of like a volunteer group, and you finally made up my mind that there are other places I can spend my time.

I'm done.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM

It depends on the service time.

I've only visited the church once and I went to the 9 am service. I was able to walk right in about 5 minutes before the start of the service and was placed in the second row in the front-yikes! When I left there was a line outside for the noon service. It looks like some people stay for both services and the 3pm gospel celebration.

The building use to be the Loews Metropolitan Theater and they've kept some of the original details. I think I saw one of the last movies shown there and it was quite the contrast to return for a church service .

Good luck with your trip planning and I hope you enjoy exploring the City.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM

travelbuff, Aduchamp didn't disagree about the hotel being nice, he said that he thought, based on the OP's original post, that it might not be appropriate for the OP's group. I think this is just a difference of opinion; I wouldn't take it personally and I hope you come back.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM

Travelbuff

Stop being so thin skinned.

People disagree.

People have corrrected me many times. Either I aplogized for giving the wrong information or diagree.

I have even disagreed with Doug and Katie, And while I do not know Doug, Katie is a kind and gnerous person but we still have can ahve differences.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:37 AM

Thanks K for the info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -