Search

Tulsa relocation?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:19 AM
holly

Tulsa relocation?

hi! my brother is considering a terrific job offer that is in Tulsa. He's a bit wary of the town, so I said I'd try to find out something about it. Can anyone tell me what it's like? Is it very conservative or are there more liberal areas? Does it have a decent music scene? Cool/funky shopping and record stores? How about great restaurants? Is it primarily an older town or are there a lot of young adults (late 20s-30s)? Is it a very religious town (with ORU...just thought i'd ask)? How about outdoor adventures near by (like rock climbing, mountain biking?) THanks for all the info.... holly

p.s. any good websites you'd recommend about tulsa?

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:22 AM
x

Tulsa is VERY conservative and VERY religious. VERY awful in many ways.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 08:41 AM
humptee bumptee

bump

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 08:46 AM
country rambler

Tulsa has the dubious honor of being the only city in the continental U.S. to have experienced an aerial attack. Back in the 1920s the whites of Tulsa decided to destroy the black part of town. During the attack they dropped grenades from crop duster planes into the black neighborhoods.

Things haven't changed much from then.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9908/03/tulsa.riots.probe/

http://www.blackcity.net/black/history/tulsariots/

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 12:25 PM
ttt

to the top

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 03:15 PM
MD4

Holly- I relocated 3 years ago to Tulsa from Memphis. My husband is from here, and he had a job offer to return. Yes, Tulsa is a fairly conservative town. There are lots of young adults and also young families. What I've noticed is that many people go away to college and for their first job or two, but then return to Tulsa to settle down, raise a family, etc. You know the saying, "Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there."? I read an article once that described Tulsa as just the opposite: Nice place to live, but you wouldn't necessarily want to visit there.
We do have a pretty cool music scene, with a wide variety. The 3 main bar/restaurant/entertainment/cool boutique areas are Brookside, Cherry Street and the Brady District. And these are growing and adding things all the time. Tons of great restaurants- sometimes I think no one here cooks. We also have a very healthy arts and culture scene for the size city we are- broadway shows (I just saw Le Mis the other night) come here, and we have our own ballet and opera companies.
Outdoors- there are parks everywhere all over the city, the largest being River Parks which runs the entire length of the Arkansas River.
I think the Tulsa metro population is about 600K. The main thing I miss is not getting major concerts here- we don't have a venue big enough to pull large names. Although it is getting better- BB King was here not long ago, as was Natalie Merchant. But OKC is 1.5 hours, Kansas City about 4, and Dallas about 5, so for a day's drive you could go to a concert pretty easily.
I will look up web sites for you and post those later. And if you have other specific questions, post those and I will try to help. Personally, I love living here. I think it's a little known secret of places to live.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:34 PM
MD4

Web sites:
www.tulsachamber.com - Chamber of Commerce
www.tulsaworld.com - daily newspaper
www.urbantulsa.com - weekly alternative newspaper
www.virtualtulsa.com
www.bestoftulsa.com
www.tulsa.com
www.ok-living.com
www.travelok.com

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Mary

I think the above summary is pretty accurate: Tulsa is the kind of place you'd want to raise children while they're younger, and it's a very family oriented town.
But NOT somewhere I'd want to move for work if I were young and single, or to go to college.