Search

Tulsa Information

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Tulsa Tourist

Tulsa Information

I will be going to Tulsa for a few days in the middle of October.

Can anyone recommend a hotel downtown or in a fun neighborhood? I'm in my early twenties and travelling with my boyfriend. Also, suggestions for good, but reasonably priced places to eat would be great - we're students and on a tight budget. However, I wouldn't mind suggestions for one really nice/cool place for dinner - Italian or steaks would be great for the nice meal.

Has anyone attended the Oktoberfest in Tulsa? Is it any good?

Thanks and any help will be appreciated!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 10:45 AM
James

Are you looking for budget lodging? An approximate price range would help. The area around 71st and Memorial Rd is packed with restaurants and shopping.

I attended Oktoberfest a couple of years ago. If you will be there then, I'd say it's definately worth stopping by.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Tulsa Tourist

James,
Yeah, I think we are looking for a budet spot - nothing more than 100 bucks a night. If we could get a place with a breakfast bar included and a pool that would be great. At this point, we are really flexible.

Thanks!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:33 PM
James

The Doubletree Downtown is the nicest you can get for under $100, and it will be right just under $100. Obviously there are numerous chain places that are almost all under $100 down to $30.00/ night. The Doubletree at Warren Place is also nice, but rooms are usually around 110/night.
Happy to answer any more questions.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Tulsa Tourist

James,
It looks like the doubletree downtown on 7th street doesn't have a pool. Bummer. Any other downtown hotel you would suggest?

Could you suggest any places to eat? Would you recommend the zoo?

What is the weather like in October? We're from the north, so cold isn't really a factor, but I would be curious on what sorts of clothes to bring.

Thanks again!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:19 PM
James

The Adams Mark is downtown and has indoor and outdoor pools, but I don't know the rates (also has a Italian restaurant inside) . The Hilton Southern Hills runs just under $100, but is not directly in the downtown area, but fairly close. There is a Ramada Downtown in a good location, but I know nothing about it.

Eating-about 15 minutes from downtown is the area around Woodland Hills Mall. It's loaded with eating places. Two of my favorite steakhouses run approximately $25/person - don't know if that fits or not (Jamil's).

I've heard good things about Mary's Italian Trattoria and there's also Pomodori's. I love the authentic mexican of Casa Laredo. A small family run joint. Downtown is Steamroller Blues BBQ - often with live blues.

It's been a while since I've been to the zoo, but probably worth a trip if you have time. Also, you might check out www.tulsaoktoberfest.org/

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:22 PM
l. sanford

tt be advised that tulsa is a very conservative christian place. Don't be surprised if you're asked for your marriage license or some other sign... wedding rings... before a hotel here will give two young single looking people one room... assuming you plan to get just one room... ls

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Tulsa Tourist

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We are going to try to figure out hotel reservations this weekend. Once I get back, I will report.

I hope that the two of us being single won't be a problem - even in Tulsa at a chain hotel? Let's hope not!

Thanks again.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Lynn Tate

A lot of the high school and college couples will slip on a pair of inexpensive bands when they want to screw at one of the local hotels. You might want to see if you could hunt up some costume jewelry.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:43 AM
James

tt-
Maybe they know what they are talking about with the fake bands - I guess it wouldn't hurt. However, I cannot imagine that is the case. I and several people I know have stayed several places in t-town with no problem.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:23 AM
MD4

If you like chain restaurants, head for the Woodland Hills area James mentioned- most any chain you want can be found there, in addition to a large, galleria-style mall.
If you'd prefer to check out local places, check out the Cherry Street (15th Street between Peoria and Utica) and Brookside (Peoria, between 31st & 41st) areas. Mary's is on Cherry Street- excellent homemade Italian, and it's not all that expensive (wine, salad, dinner and dessert for 2 runs around $70, depending on what you get). On Cherry Street, you could also check out Kilkenny's Irish bar, Bourbon Street (bar & restaurant), Chimi's Italian. Pomodori's is downtown, also very good, but nothing else close around to go to.
Brookside offers a variety of fun bars. Monte's chop house is excellent for steaks, great patio, but $$$. Cafe Ole, excellent Mexican and margaritas, also great patio. The Brook is great for burgers, sandwiches and people watching.
If you want to try something different, go to 18th & Boston area for Sobo Loco, Latin American, also great margaritas and patio. Steamroller (previously mentioned) is now Ashbury on Boston, and I'm not sure they still seve BBQ.
Other hotels you may want to check out, the Hotel Ambassador is a great boutique hotel- usually over or right around your price range, but maybe they will have a special going. It is on the edge of downtown and close to 15th Street, no pool though. In October would be a little cool for outdoor pools here anyway.
Weather here can be unpredictable in October, but normally in the 60s or 70s during the day, probably 50s at night. Check out the forcast on weather.com before you head to Tulsa.
Go to Oktoberfest- you'll have a great time.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:19 AM
tulsayawn!

Weather in Tulsa is usually very beautiful in October -- lots of fall color and temps very pleasant.

Oktoberfest is one of the more fun festivals -- lots of people slogging down beer, despite (or maybe because of) all right-wing christian activity.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Brady District -- this is becoming the center of a very happening night life and music scene. Curly's and the Velvet room are good live music venues. Good bars/restaurants in Brookside area, too (Peoria between 31st and 41st streets)

Good Vietnemese restaurant at 31st & Sheridan called Bihn-Le.

Good luck -- I hope you enjoy your time here, though I can't imagine why anyone would actually want to visit --

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Aislinn

I live about two hours from Tulsa, so not sure of the exact weather, but right now the high is in the low 60s (I'm south of Tulsa, so it may be a little cooler there). Definately bring clothes for cold weather at night. I'd recommend dressing in layers. Oklahoma weather is pretty unpredictable. Around this time it's always cold in the mornings, warms up in the afternoon and gets cold again at night. Good luck on the trip planning!