Search

Tucson's Kitt Peak Nightly Observing Program

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 10:32 AM
BLN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tucson's Kitt Peak Nightly Observing Program

We're going to the Kitt Peak Observatory's Nighttime stargazing program in March. Has anyone else been on this tour? Thoughts? Is it as cold as they say? Is it as amazing as I hope it'll be??

Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 02:05 PM
BLN
Original Poster

Okay, no one posted any replies to my question, but for anyone who searches on this topic in the future, I'll give you my update!

It was EXCELLENT!! My husband and I enjoyed every minute of it. The discussion was very educational and fascinating, and the stars were breathtaking.

You do have to make reservations in advance; info is on their site:
http://www.noao.edu/outreach/nop/
Several people in our group got in on last minute cancellations, so that's definitely worth a shot too.

Have fun!
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:34 PM

Thank you for posting about this as my daughter and I may be going in July. She's a lot more interested and educated in astronomy than I am; will I be completely lost or bored?
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:26 PM
BLN
Original Poster

Postal - NO, you will not be bored or lost at all! It's really a pretty brief background, nothing too scientific or complicated at all. (But the guides are very well educated so if people who know a bit more want to ask follow up questions, they can satisfy the more curious as well.) We spent 3/4 of the time picking out constellations with our eyes and binoculars and then looking through the telescope. It's an exceedingly popular program, so even though there are no other posters out there, I think the vast majority of people would really enjoy it.

Let us know how you like it if you go!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:21 AM

My husband, three year old son, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Kitt Peak experience in May of 2002! We are amateur astronomers and we were absolutley awe-struck by everything...the friendly and informative astronomers...the unbelievable equipment...the ability to explore the Peak on our own...the Star Gazing night program was "out of this world"!!! and I highly recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in the heavens!! Yes....it does get very cold (and windy!) up there at night!! Have a blast!!