Notices

Tucson in March

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 12:42 PM
Kathy

Tucson in March

We are going to be in Tucson in early March for 5 days staying at a casita at El Adobe Ranch B&B in NW Tucson-I believe near the Sonora Desert Museum. Has anyone ever stayed there? Also has anyone been to Bisbee or Tombstone & is it worth the trip. Any other suggestions for active outdoor type excursions? Thanks.

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 02:36 PM
Janie

The Desert Museum is not in NW Tucson, it's off to the west of the city, off Kinney Road I believe. Sorry never heard of El Adobe Ranch B&B. Tombstone is a tourist town, Bisbee is too but has a lot more charm going for it - about 20 miles south of Tombstone. You can easily do both in one day. March will be cool (or cold) it's a tricky month, can be rainy and nasty or quite pleasant - never can tell. A ride up Mt. Lemmon might interest you and definately go up Sabino Canyon.

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 05:50 PM
Alex

Suggest a night at Copper Queen Hotel in Bisbee. The mine tour was good too. But best was day hikes thru Chiricahua National Monument in SE AZ... bring a camera and enjoy the fresh air.

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 10:27 PM
David

March can be in the 80's too. Suggest a visit to Karchner Caverns which are about half way between Tucson and Tombstone; they are suppose to be fabulous. Need advance reservations so now is the time to look into it. The Desert Museum if not technically north west of the city (which I believe it is) should be in hte same area as where you are staying. I second a trip to Sabino Canyon great place to combine hiking and the tram. There hopefully will be plenty of water in the stream running through the canyon at that time of year. If you like the outdoors, Patagonia, in southern arizona is an easy drive and is famous for its Birding.
have a good time.

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 03:21 PM
howard

Put Sabino Canyon at the top of your list. Take the tram up and walk down. Great spot. Also agree that the Sonora Desert Museum is worth a visit.
Tombstone is hokey but fun, while Bisbee is worth an afternoon. The tour of the mine is interesting.

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Karen

Not familiar with your B&B, but Desert Sonora Museum, an absolute must, is in the NW area of Tucson, as is Old Tucson, a re-creation. Both are reached through the Saguaro National Forest, thousands of saguaros of every shape...fantastic. After Tucson I would head south past San Xavier del Bac, "White Dove of the Desert" and on to Tubac Inn and the small village of artists and shops and restaurants...we always eat at Tubac Inn overlooking the golf course. I love that area. Then on south almost touching the Mexico border, past Stewart Granger's former home which is now a golf club and resort and on to Patagonia. I would cut through San Rafael Valley, unlike any other place in Arizona and end up in Tombstone. Tombstone, in my opinion, is missing the bet on doing things well. The main street is a little fun, but OK Corral exhibit poorly done, as is the Boothill Cemetary. I know most people want to see it and some is interesting, but Bisbee is far better. Take the mine tour and poke around the town and, if time, stay in the hotel. Head on up through the chili fields and by Cochise's Stronghold, outside Dragoon and stop at Amerind Foundation Museum outside of Dragoon, very fine collection of Indian finds, displayed very well. If you don't find you have much time, at least do Desert Sonora Museum, Sabino Canyon. We really liked Daniel's Restaurant for dinner...fantastic. You may find the ranch has enough for you and great suggestions too.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Kathy

Thank you all so much for your good suggestions! Now all we have to hope for is good weather but anything will be better than March weather in RI.