Notices

Key West Question

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 03:32 PM
Mike

Key West Question

I'm planning a quick getaway for the first week (12/4 - 12/8) to Florida, and looking for a place in the Keys during the middle of the week. I found the "Grand Key Resort" and was wondering if anyone had any opinions. It's new and the price seems reasonable for the region. I did find two "complaints" posted here, it was too close to the airport (noise) and too far from the action. We're two adults, we of course expect clean comfort and some pampering, but don't have to have gold- plated fixtures.

Any ideas? Or alternative suggestions? I'm looking now, and would like to book this week.

While you're at it, what would you do with three days in Key West? I haven't been in fifteen years!

Thanks...

mike

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 11:58 AM
nancy

Try the Hyatt or the Hilton - both near mallory square and Duvall Street. I stayed at the Hyatt last December; a typical resort hotel, but nothing fancy and the pool area is kinda small. Walked over to the Hilton and it looked very nice. Take one day to just walk around and see the sights-Key West is very easy to manuever around by foot. The Dry Tortugas is a really nice day trip. A long but scenic boat trip with some really great snorkeling and even some history thrown in at the Fort. You could always do the Duvall crawl - if you're lucky, you'll get to see Pete & Wayne at Sloppy Joe's - two guys that sing and tell jokes and stories - hilarious! The Red Headed Blues band played on the dock of the Hilton for their sunset celebration, another good band - just be a tourist and have fun. There's lots of places to stay, but I'm glad we stayed near the main drag. The Hyatt is close but not on the main strip, which makes it a little more quiet. If you get a chance and if you haven't been there, try Blue Heaven for dinner. It's near the Bahama section and close enough to walk to if you stay near Duvall Street. The food was great and not to pricey. Cafe de Artiste was another great place - Very Expensive but the food and service was worth every penny; most people wore shorts and no one blinked an eye. Hope you have a great trip.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 06:01 PM
CMcDaniel

I'll second the vote for Blue Heaven...such a cool restaurant we named a sailboat we got a few months later after it!

It's al fresco dining, on a patio with dirt floor and is part of a former bordello. Resident cats may seat themselves at an empty chair at your table and the Key West chickens wander in and out of view. The live jazz was a wonderful addition to the entire surrealistic scene. We love fine dining but this was one exceptional experience, fantastic food in a truly fun, casual atmosphere. It beat our evening at the revered Louie's Backyard hands down. It's also supposed to be excellent for breakfast, but can't attest to that. By the way, one of my friends here in Tampa who is a native Conch says Blue Heaven is a favorite with locals as well, and has been for years.

I hype this a bit reluctantly. My husband and I sort of fell into it...heard vague comments about it, and walking down there, we almost turned back as the neighborhood was getting iffy. Therefore, what we found was truly wonderful, far surpassing any expectations we had for the evening. It honestly was one of the most enjoyable evenings we've "fallen into", but if you go expecting wonderful and fantastic--food and ambience, perhaps it won't quite live up to your expectations and my billings. Go to have fun at a neat place and be surprised yourselves at what you might find.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 08:24 AM
Gail

Hi Mike!Got back from Key west 10/19. We stayed at Pier House, but wouldn't necessarily stay there again although the facility was nice- we were in the spa wing. You might check Ocean Key House, not sure of price though...Do not miss The American Bar on Front Street- great service, atmosphere, music(piano) and food!Although we had a rental car, we didn't move it for three days. It was definitly nice to have so much within walking distance. Anything more distant you can catch a pedal car taxi(?) to get around. Just re-read my post- My advice is to stay in the vicinity of Duval!!!

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 11:21 AM
Schnooks

We stayed at a B&B called the Treetop Inn - which was reasonable and nice - on Truman St. - we could still walk to everything. Go to the SEVEN FISH Restaurant - it is where the locals go and is EXCELLENT! - crowded -see if you can make reservations.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 11:28 AM
J T Kirk

I've never stayed at the Grand Key. Is that the (relatively) new resort?
The last couple of times I've been to Key West I stayed at the Gardens Hotel about one block off Duval (I think it's on Angela St.) It's a very nice, smallish hotel with a great garden. For luch and/or dinner I'd recommend Turtle Krall's. It has a great setting, right on the marina.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 07:26 PM
Kimberly

There is only one perfect hotel in Key West and that is the Marquesa. From the moment you arrive until the moment you leave you will be pampered by the wonderful employees and owners who greet you with a glass of champagne. Don't miss the restaurant, same name, best creme de brulee ever. Walk to town...close to everything. Don't pass this one up...it is expensive.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 09:32 AM
susan

My husband and I go to Key West several times a year and in fact just got back last night after having spent two weeks there. We drove over to check out the Grand Key Resort and I must say it's pretty disappointing looking. In my opinion, the location is awful...it's very near the airport and accompanying noise, is too far from the Atlantic to have an ocean view, and is too far from Old Town to be within walking distance of any restaurants and/or tourist activities. It's part of a large complex that includes rental property that's been there a while. Basically, it just looks like a 3rd rate hotel.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 03:01 PM
xxx

The Grand Key Resort is a beautiful, new resort, but on the far end of Key West if you want to walk to the action. I wouldn't pay that money to be out by the airport. The Best Western, which is almost next door, is a great place to stay for cheap, if you want to be away from everything. If you can afford the Grand Key, stay instead downtown at the Pier House, Marriott, or Ocean Key. Parking isn't easy downtown, which, unless you take a taxi from Grand Key, you will realize very quickly. Pier House is my annual retreat. You will have a great time in Key West...it's your state of mind that makes the difference!