Notices

RV'n to Alaska

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Bill Ford

RV'n to Alaska

My wife and I, and my brother and his wife are planning a trip by moterhome to Alaska next spring. Trip will originate and end in Dallas. Around 45 days. Would apreciate any input on things that would help us.
Thanks a bunch,
Bill
[email protected]

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 07:10 AM
GOL

Bill,
Buy The Milepost, a guide along the ALCAN and all of Alaska. Info also at themilepost.com

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 01:48 PM
Bill

My wife and I are retiring next year and we probably will take two months on the same trip. We have never done this and would be interested in your comments after you get back. Give us a post of your experiences please.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 09:24 AM
Anon

Sounds like a great trip and I'd love to do the same, but from everything I've heard about it, it's death to your coach. The wear and tear on it is supposed to be something else. So bad that a lot of people drive their coach up there, sell it and fly home.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 05:29 PM
Kay

I think the info put out by Anon is bogus and is designed by those who want Alaska all to themselves.
My brother and wife went last year.Alcan Highway was bumpy,hadseveral places being repaired(road freeze damage)Only one 5-8 mile stretch that was not black top and is dusty.(never travel.with vents or windows open at all) For sure most of it you can't much time. They AVERAGED 35-40 MPH .They did have guards over their headlights to protect from breakage.
True, they did have a few dents in the body of the R.V.but certainly not massive.They said the scenery was well worth the minor damage.
Good Luck.
Also check out the [email protected]==good info