Tucson Hotel Research

Jul 30th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Tucson Hotel Research

Am trying to find something special for Jan/Feb in the $150-175 price range (AARP rate). I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be anything between the 'vintage' category and the slightly over the top luxury. Has anyone here stayed at Hacienda del Sol? Is it in the center of town? Anything nice for less than $200/night in the hills just north of town?
Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Topping. Still asking.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:22 AM

Jan.and Feb. are "high season" here in Tucson, also the huge Gem Show is here every Feb. which drives prices up (also availability - I suggest booking far in advance for Feb.) The Rodeo is also a Feb. event. Since I live here I do not go around staying in hotels but Hacienda del Sol is very nice. As for center of town, it is in the lower Catalina Foothills area and a very nice area. At my job we often put out of town visitors up at The Windmill Inn, it is at River Rd and Campbell in St. Phillip's Plaza (restuarants, boutiques). It is not over the top luxury as you seem to want, but for your price range I do not think you will get that in Jan/Feb to be honest. Most of the foothill resorts are hardly "vintage" - the only place that fits that category is the Arizona Inn and that is not in the foothills,but down near the University and UMC. It is quite expensive in Jan/Feb however.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:48 AM

Try priceline. If you go to the "resort" level and pick the area where the Loews and the other good resort is I think you're guaranteed to get one of them. We got the Loews for less than half what they quoted me when I called the hotel directly.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm in the process of winnowing down my list. If Jan/Feb are high season, I hope that means it's warm enough to sit by the pool. ??
Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:20 PM

I think your weather question is covered in the other Tucson post. High season out here means that it is relatively decent weather compared to Minnesota or Wisconsin or North Dakota, etc. It will not be HOT, it can be pleasant, 60-65 or so during the day, but lounging around a pool when the outside temps are in the 60's is a personal decision.