2 Friends in NYC for Weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two forty-something girlfriends going to NYC for a weekend in Oct. Looking for suggestions for walking tours, fun restaurants, sightseeing that shouldn't be missed.

Thanks,
Barb
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:29 AM

The tasting tour of Greenwich Village was a blast. Have both of you been to NYC before or is this a first trip? Do you know where you are staying (which part of the city?). Are you on a budget trip or are you willing for a splurge or two?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

We will be staying at the Waldorf. We are very flexible about prices. I thought I had read somewhere on this board about the Greenwich tasting tour. Sounds great.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:23 PM

Well, some of the traditional things could include a carriage ride in Central Park, lunch or dinner at Tavern on the Green, a Broadway show, the behind the scenes tour at Radio City Music Hall, waving at Katie and Matt at Rockefeller Center, stopping in at Tiffany's and other shops and the big department stores if you are a big shopper.

I recommend the hop-on, hop-off buses if you've never been before (but not Gray Line's). You can buy a 2 day pass and use it for an overview of the city and transportation if you are tired.

I enjoyed tea at the Plaza, haven't been back to Tavern on the Green in years, love buying a picnic feast for the room from a deli/grocery and resting my feet before heading out again for a Broadway show. If I do eat out, I like Sam's for a pre-show meal.

Of course the landmarks, Empire State Bldg, etc.

One of my favorite websites, imar.com, is now defunct, but I wanted to do either the bike ride tour of Central Park or one of the walking tours of the Upper East Side. I don't know how to find those tours now.

Oh, and my favorite musesum is the Frick. Gorgeous former home built to showcase the collector's art as a museum after his death. Incredible art in a relatively small venue. It doesn't overwhelm you but you are amazed (or I was) to be surrounded by such masterpieces.

Have a wonderful time!

If you take the tasting tour of Greenwich, you'll munch your way through bread, cheese, chocolate and pizza shops. I brought back gifts for a friend who had grown up on the Upper West Side and she was amazed that I'd been to places she's heard of before but never visited. She says she wants to go with me on my next trip. BIG hit!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:59 AM

okay, here's one of my great walks that I treat my out of town guests to. Take the #2 or #3 subway train to the first stop in Brooklyn (Clark St.) From there you can walk along the beautiful old neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights. Go along the Promenade for great views of Manhattan and Statue of Liberty.
See Brooklyn Bridge and go to it...you'll find the walkway to the top. Walk the Bridge to Manhattan! It's fun and great views.

When you arrive in Manhattan, you be at City Hall. Walk throught the park and go to the Woolworth Building. It used to be the tallest in the world back in 1905? or something. Go into the lobby and check it out...pretty amazing. From there, walk north parrallel the park and turn right to the Municipal Building (the big imposing one). Then turn left past the court houses (pretty cool). Make a right at the second court house and then left through China Town. (I hope you'll have some kind of map).
When in China Town, I like going to Mott st. Take Mott St. north thru Chinatown (take your time...you may feel as if your really in another country) and eventually you will come to the corner of Mott and Spring St. It should be about 1 pm if you get a decent start in the morning. Perfect time to rest and to eat. For lunch (right on the corner of Mott & Spring) go eat the best pizza at Lombardi's (may I suggest their Clam Pie? Yummm!) You're now on the edge of SOHO. Turn left out of Lombardis and walk all around soho. At this point your probably exhausted. If not, head into the Village. Save a seperate day for Grand Central Sta., Times Square, Rock. Cent., 5th Ave., Madison Ave., and Central Park.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your great ideas. I will be looking into them.