Trips within 5 hours of Jackson, TN

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have a week off in a few weeks and need a vacation but will be driving by myself. I like antiques, quilting, easy/handicapped hiking trails and I need to be near water - it can be a nice lake, river, etc. I have been to Nashville, Memphis, and St. Louis so many times I just can't do it again and I would really like something more relaxing. I would be quite content to sit by a river and read a book all day for a day or two. Must have good and fun restaurants. Any ideas?

Thank you!!
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 03:23 AM

It is hard to find good food and relaxed surroundings in the same place, but if you are willing to drive another 20 minutes, I would send you to Columbus, Indiana.

Brown County and pretty much the rest of Southern Indiana are gently beautiful, hills rather than mountains, but nothing at all like West Tennessee.

A prominent family in Columbus underwrote the fees of famous architects to build new churches and civic buildings. As a result, it is a nice town visited by architects and architecture students and faculty from all over the world to see their collection of modernist architecture. When my sister and I were there, we ran into a bunch of people from MIT.

You could make a day trip to French Lick, an historic spa, or Indiana University in Bloomington which has fabulous classical concerts. New Harmony is a 19th century commune with Shaker affinities, though more differences. In other words, as much as you want in a week, and the Dalai Lama's brother owned a Tibetan restaurant in Bloomington, if you want the exotic.
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 09:18 AM

http://www.dalehollow.com/lodging-dining/accommodation

www.mitchellcreekmarina.com
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 10:24 AM

Just a one hour stretch to 6 hours is Ashville NC. Meets all your requirements, but I'm not sure about waterside. Nearby Gatlinburg also fits all your qualifiers with a beautiful creek running through the town. You have to look past the tourists downtown to the beautiful surrounding Smokies. I visited this spring and the scenic mountain routes have many excellent waterfalls and mountain streams to read beside.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

All excellent suggestions. I have been to Gatlinburg in recent years but have never been to Ashville. I think the drive might be a bit too far by myself but thanks for the reminder to schedule with a friend.

I have been to French Lick but never to Columbus. I am not specifically in Jackson, TN so this might be a bit too far. But will definitely give this some thought.

I have family in the area of Dale Hollow Lake and oddly I have never been there. So this is also an option.

I have some thinking to do! Thank you all for your input.
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 01:36 PM

You might check out the Kentucky Lake State Park area with Patty's Famous Restaurant that has giant pork chops as well as other good food. Google for lots of info. KY has a lot of nice state parks with lodges and mostly on water.