Search

Trip with Infant

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip with Infant

My husband and I are looking to take a week trip in May to either Aspen, Breckenridge, or Vail. Can anyone tell me which will be better to stay in? We like to have great resturants to walk to, hike, bike, shop, relax outdoors. Thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:07 AM

May is off season, just so you know. I'd go with Vail or Aspen. You would have better chance of good weather. Plus the dining is better in those towns. If you fo with Vail try and stay in the Village.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I'll second Coskier - it's definitely the off season, and there will be businesses that are closed then (that's when the locals get a chance to get away!)

I'm familiar with Breck and Vail, and you most likely won't be able to hike or bike at that time of year. While there's not enough snow to ski, there's enough snow and wet on the trails, especially (of course) as you go up, to cause problems for other activities.

I would agree that for great restaurants (call to see what will be open then) and shopping, go to Vail or Aspen.

The weather itself is unpredictable in May. You could have great weather, though cool/cold at night, or snow. I spent Memorial Day weekend in Vail a couple of years ago, and it snowed.

If you can, plan your trip to any of these areas for September. It's one of the best times of year - a bit cooler, but still warm during the day, no afternoon thunderstorms, great hiking, biking, and everything is still open.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help - I really appreciate it!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Bknost we hike year round. Lexma is right though some trails may still have deep snow fields. You might pick up a copy of the Vail hiker for trails that are good in early season.
Biking on the bike path should not be a problem, min biking may be though.

Nice thing about that time of year is that it is not busy, not dead either. Some resurants may offer 2 for 1 deals in the local free paper the Vail Daily. We sued to say at the Cascade in Vail in May. The usually offer a room rate that includes 2 massages. We have been in May when it was warm enough to lay by the heated outdoor pool and in May when it snowed. Later in May you can come the better chance you wil have of good weather. They have a great fitness facility that we take advantage of when the weather is bad. Weather here changes quickly though so you usally will not have 2 bad days in a row.

I do not know Aspen at all, you mught want to stay a few nights in Vail and a few in Aspen. If you do stop in at The Glenwood springs outdoor mineral pool. Not to be missed.

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I wish they had a edit button. We have never sued the Cascade, we used to stay there though