Trip to Yellowstone Area

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Yellowstone Area

We are taking a camping trip to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Cody and Thermopolis for 2 weeks in early June. We are staying at Bridge Bay in Yellowstone and Shoshone Lodge outside of Cody. Does anyone have an recent experiences at either of those places and what did they think? Is there anywhere else you would recommend more? What should we expect weather wise? I was also trying to find interesting things to do, sort of off the beaten path. Thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:12 AM
AlJ

A few thoughts.

We were in Yellowstone last July but not camping. If you'd like to see our pictures or read about the trip, look at www.AlandSueJohnson.com and click on the bison picture. It will let you see what some areas of the park look like.

I'm told you might see sun, rain, snow, warm and cold. And that the afternoon might be different. We'll be there in mid-June and are mentally ready for all that. You should have layers or enough to keep you warm if it does get chilly.

We didn't get to Cody so I can't offer much there.

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM

We were in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons last year from June 2 to June 13. The first couple of days in Yellowstone were great weather wise their were hardly any tourist yet. As the days went on, more and more people started visiting the parks. We had several day of days of thunderstorms that came and went and one day of just rain...we did laundry that day. We had some cold mornings and one day it was so warm, I even wore shorts on the day we hiked around Mammoth. This is our second time visiting Yellowstone in early June and the weather was really great in 2000 too. All the roads were open both years.

I prefer Madison Campground for a few reasons. One it's closer to the geyser areas of the park. The other reason is Madison is a wooded area and BayBridge is pretty open. We have a motorhome so moving around wasn't a problem. We stayed at Madison 4 nights, drove up and spent a night at Mammoth, then back down to Madison for two more nights then over to Bridge Bay for two nights before going down to the Grand Tetons for two nights.

The Beartooth Highway is a great drive. If you are entering the park on Hwy 20 and West Yellowstone, the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway was worth the drive. The Misty Falls hike in Yellowstone near Old Faithful area was a nice off the beaten path hike.

Utahtea

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:26 AM

I agree with utahtea that Madison campground is nicer. Better wildlife opportunities and better base to the other areas of the park than Bay Bridge, and if anyone in your group is a flyfisher, you are right at the spot where the Gibbon and Firehole rivers converge to create the Madison River. You may also want to consider the campground at Norris. It's nice, with good wildlife opportunities, and more centrally located.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 08:16 AM

The WX should be good but expect it to be somewhat cooler and wetter than later on in the season..We have seen wet snow and frost in all the summer months.. We have been tent camping in YS for years, our favorite area of Yellowstone to camp is the Lamar Valley. There are two campgrounds, Pebble Creek and Slough Creek. Both are off the beaten path when it comes to people in the Park. This is a good area for wildlife, several of the YS wolf packs call the Valley their home.. There are some good National Forest CG's just to the east of Cooke City. All these CG are the last to fill up during prime time in the Park. They offer a water point and pit outhouses for your convenience. We like the FS CG;'s, firewood is easier to gather... In the past few years these areas are starting to get more popular so don't tell anyone.....