Search

last minute travel to Yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last minute travel to Yellowstone

Hi Everyone,

I know from reading your posts that I needed to book a hotel in Yellowstone a year ago to get something inside the park. Well, this trip just came up and I'm trying to tie in a little R&R with business. In mid-September I'll be near Yellowstone and booked a weekend at the Three Bear Lodge in West Yellowstone. Any comments from someone who has stayed there before?

Also, I'll be at Big Sky for a few days on business. My husband will be on his own for 3 days. Are there hiking trails there that aren't totally in the wilderness? I have some reservations about him trekking into the wild on his own.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Joanie,

Did you try to get in-Park lodging? If not, call Xanterra direct on their toll-free # just to see. They sometimes have space that doesn't show up on their website. Also, keep checking back with them as people often make reservations way in advance and then give them up as the time gets closer and they can't use them.

It's more expensive to stay in the Park but so worth it in my opinion. When we were there we loved to get up before dawn and head out, or stay out past dark to catch the wildlife when they're most active.

Hope you enjoy your time in Yellowstone as much as we did.

Fran
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 03:14 PM
maj

Totally agree to keep calling. We got last minute reservations inside the park late last May. Everyday that I called something different had opened up. I also read somewhere that someone had called this summer and was told that there were many cancellations due to the economy this year.

We have also stayed in West Yellowstone (and would again). It is very convenient to most areas of the park. The park entrance is right next to the town and some of our best animal sightings were on the way in and out of the park -- mainly since we were travelling that road early in the AM or at dusk. Also, you will have internet and cell phone access in West Yellowstone if that is important to you -- and it is very sketchy to non existant in the park itself.

I would pick West Yellowstone to stay in over Grant Village -- because of location.

Can't help with Big Sky, but have been to Yellowstone at that time of year twice -- fantastic time to visit.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM

JoanieG,

Yes, keep trying to get a res inside the park. Weather is cooling off fast as it usually does this time of year. Take a variety of cloths and warm layers to Yellowstone. You could have snow, you could have shorts weather, probably both!

Big Sky is beautiful, bit I agree you are wise to be cautious about hiking alone for hubby. Big Sky is an extremely rugged mountain area. Visitors to the Rockies get lost all the time and are often unprepared for the hikes they attempt.

See if there is an "adventure" outfitter in the area for him to go with. He will have a lot more fun and be in good hands! There are also quite a few riding outfits in the Galletin Valley too if he e
enjoys that.

I just did a combo Yellowstone (camping) and Paradise Valley vacation in July. Two places I would highly recommend:

River Inn (2 charming cabins) at the north end of Paradise Valley, just 4 mi. south of Livingston

Paradise Valley B&B near Emigrant in the Paradise Valley.

Both gorgeous locations, great owners, right on the Yellowstone River and drop dead fabulous views!
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on calling for in-park reservations rather than just checking on the internet. I just called and was able to book a place in the park. This will be much better!

All your comments/suggestions are helpful. Thanks!!
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Joanie,

Glad it worked out for you. And listen to Dayle's advice. It's always good and reliable.

Have a great trip.