Search

Trip to San Francisco Area

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2019, 05:07 AM
cdc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to San Francisco Area

Last year I asked for advice for a family trip to San Francisco and Tahoe - and of course this group was super helpful!

We headed back out to the Bay area this year for another family event over Easter and I thought I would share some highlights with this group. We rented a house in Guerneville to accommodate our large extended family. It was handy to the wineries and other area attractions. The wineries were as expected - we liked the Davison Family winery because we brought our own lunch and picnic'ed by the river. The Korbel winery had a formal tour that was interesting for the adults - we had younger kids with us who more enjoyed the gardens and open space at Korbel. We did not get to go canoeing, but I hear that can be a lot of fun.
We did a day in Petaluna, which was a quirky place. I really can't come up with a better description - it has a newer developed side of town, but in the older part of town there are cute shops and restaurants, a river walk - and there is an iron works that builds the floats and stage decorations for a lot of parades and festivals- if you are into that, it was pretty neat to see some of the stuff they make. They are not open to the public, but you can walk around the perimeter of the property and see what they have.
Our immediate family rounded off the holiday with a few days in Tiburon - which was really nice. I was not familiar with this area before our trip - and am so glad we found it. I was not keen to stay in San Francisco and this was perfect. You can take the ferry over to San Francisco (or Angel Island). We drove into the city one day and off traffic hours it was an easy drive. We stayed at the Lodge in Tiburon. It was a great fit for our family - a wonderful (heated) pool, hot tub, plenty of seating, and yard games. It is walking distance to the local restaurants, wharf, and food store. They have bikes you can use so we took really cool bike rides every day. The room was not anything special - but the staff was really nice and accommodating. It was a nice way to see San Francisco and also be close to other places / people we wanted to visit.
One day we did the Alcatraz tour - which the kids loved. We booked well enough in advance, and even for a random week day that was not a school holiday, they were completely sold out so I am glad we remembered to book in advance. We also toured the submarine and merchant marine ship (the Jeremiah Obrien) further up the wharf. If you are into military history, it is worth the admission for the O'Brien for sure.
Not a lot of detail from this trip as it was mostly family and friends and only a little touring and touristy things - but hopefully helpful to someone going that way soon.
-Carolyne
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 11:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"We also toured the submarine and merchant marine ship (the Jeremiah Obrien) further up the wharf. If you are into military history, it is worth the admission for the O'Brien for sure."

Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to do these on next trip.

Old Jun 5th, 2019, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"We also toured the submarine and merchant marine ship (the Jeremiah Obrien) further up the wharf. If you are into military history, it is worth the admission for the O'Brien for sure."
My kids stayed overnight on the Jeremiah Obrien on a "working" field trip when they were in 4th grade. I never made it there (except to see it from the pier) myself. Sounds interesting.