Trip to New York City!

Search

Trip to New York City!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to New York City!

My boyfriend and I are going to NYC in the beginning of August 2010. I have been there a few times, but this is his first. I have always stayed outside the city and commuted in, but since we are only going to be there for 4 nights, I think that we should stay in Times Square, because it is easy walking distance to alot of attractions/shopping, which we will be doing alot of. We will also be catching a Yankees game on Sunday. I made reservations at the Paramount Hotel, which is right in the heart of Time Square, due to location and price (for 4 nights it was around $1100 total) I am now concerned because after reading alot of reviews, it seems as if the hotel rooms are very very small. We are looking to spend roughly $1200 total on 4 nights for the 2 of us. Any suggestions on hotels that are a bit more spacey? We would not need a microwave or fridge in our room, but enough room for 2 suitcases. I would enjoy any suggestions! Thanks
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Small rooms are common in NYC.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Look outside of Times Square.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:16 AM

The Paramount rooms are among the smallest in NYC, but the price is just about average; the bathrooms are not bad, but you may feel a bit cramped. I think you might be able to do a bit better, so I'd certainly keep looking. Almost any of the mid-range chain hotels (Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Super 8, Holiday Inn Express, and many others) will have larger rooms, but you aren't going to do any better on price unless you get a hotel through Priceline; since there are two of you, that's a viable option, and if you bid up to $200 on a 3-star hotel in almost any area of Manhattan, you may very well get something. I see lots of hotels available for between $200 and $250 per night, which seems to be within your price range (some are even quite a bit lower). If you are unsure of a hotel choice, please feel free to post specific names here; almost any location in Manhattan is going to be fine as long as it's not further west than 9th Avenue, which is a bit out of the way. Just avoid the Hotel Pennsylvania and Marrakesh Hotel at all costs, regardless of the price.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:28 AM

If you look at travelzoo.com they have some good dels - not sure of your exact dates. Also, I wouldn;t limit yourself to times Square -which isn't that pleasant. Try ofhter areas of the city - upper west side or further downtown - as long s you're right near a subway.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

I just looked online and I think that Courtyard by Marriott seems to be a nice choice, rooms look a little more spacey and it would cost around $1200 for 4 nights - right in our budget. Has anyone ever stayed here before? We really are not going to be spending alot of time in the hotel, but would enjoy any feedback on this hotel. Also, is this a good location for walking distance all around TS?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:37 AM

"Courtyard by Marriott"

Which one? I am pretty sure there is more than one.

How many times do you need to be in or near Times Square? You don't need to be within walking distance of Times Square when you can take the subway.

www.hopstop.com is good for walking and transit directions. Looking at a map is also helpful.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

114 West 40th Street - Courtyard by Marriott. I understand that we can take the subway, but my boyfriend is a little worried we may get lost! Haha, he is the one that is insisting on TS. Thanks for the hopstop link - looks helpful!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Times Square is a little crazy - I dont' think you need to be there. I've you been to the city a few times before, you know you can stay some place other than TS. What about some of the hotels in the 30th's... an area called Korea Town... they have some great hotels with rooftop bars. You're still in midtown still in the thick of it all, but not in the craziness of TS.

And you can't get lost - Manhattan is a big grid with Avenues and Streets all numbered. Hopstop is a great site - you'll be fine. Save some money and stay somewhere not so close to Times Square.

Have fun!! Ohhh check out www.sidestep.com
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:47 AM

You have just as much of a chance of getting "lost" on a subway as you would driving or walking somewhere. If you find yourself in the wrong direction or pass your stop, you get off and turn yourselves around. Same as driving or walking. You can ask for help. Nobody will bite you.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

I know that you are all telling me to stay outside of TS, which now I am considering, but I found The Hotel at Times Square for $1050 for 4 nights and the reviews looked good, anyone have reviews on that hotel? I know it is in the heart of TS, would it be very noisy there??
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:01 AM

There are a few hundred reviews here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:09 AM

I like staying near Times Square. It's my favorite location, especially for a short visit. I like being within a few blocks of so much I want to see and do rather spending time and money on taxis/subways. The locals always say to stay outside of TS, but they can come and go as often as they wish. As a tourist, TS is a great option - IMO.

I DO stay in areas away from Times Square for various reasons...but when I'm in a taxi on a way to a show or on the subway riding for 15+ minutes to get there, I wish I were there already.

My good friend moved to TS when she first moved to the city and another good friend lives smack dab in the middle of the chaos. His apartment window overlooks a theatre - and amazing (to me) he doesn't like Broadway shows.

Enjoy your visit
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

I agree, as a tourist I think I want to stay in TS. Thanks for the advice!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM

I know everyone says that Times Square is near all of the sights - but I don;t know which sights those are. It's near mot theaters and Rock Center - but IMHO there is more to see uptown and downtown than near Times Square. (Many midtown sights are just as - or more - accessible from midtown est than Times Square.)

And yes, it will be loud and bright 24/7.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Would you suggest any hotels or areas to stay uptown or downtown for 4 nights at approx $1200 total?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:06 AM

So that is approximately $250/night before taxes for four nights. What are your dates (sorry if I missed it above)?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:34 AM

"And yes, it will be loud and bright 24/7."
The Hotel? At 59 W 46th Street?

I disagree. I stayed at the Muse at 130 W 46th - a block closer to Broadway and did not find that to be the case.

Megan, I think you will enjoy the location. I know I did.
I've stayed twice on the UWS since my stay at the Muse and although I understand what locals are saying about staying in neighborhoods or away from the hustle and bustle I'll happily stay in the area again. IMO staying at one of the hotels on 8th (Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn) or The Muse or similar are PERFECT locations. It's amazing what a difference just one block - or 1/2 a block - can make.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thursday Aug 5th - Monday Aug 9th
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Check some of these offers out -
http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/new-york/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -