Reload this Page >

Trip to New York City

Search

Trip to New York City

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 10:23 AM
Karen R. Utz

Trip to New York City

I am meeting a friend in New York for 5 days. This individual is from Germany...any suggestions where foreigners like to go in NY? I would like to go to some off-the -beaten-path cafes, bookstores...etc...
ANY help would be appreciated!

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 10:51 AM
Emily

My brother lives in NYC and often has friends from Eastern Europe who come to visit him. He says that the top 3 things they want to see are: the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, and the Empire State Building -- the traditional sights.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 11:10 AM
Mary

I am a New York City resident, and my favorite place to take out of town guests is Ellis Island. I can never get enough of that place. It's fascinating. The admission price covers the Statue of Liberty as well, but the museum at Ellis Island is second to none. I can guarantee that this is a place everyone can enjoy. It walks you thorugh the history of immigration to the United States and it covers just about every ethnic group. This place is a must see.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 11:39 AM
mwg

The ethnic neighborhoods, especially Chinatown, would be interesting. I've had European friends express an interest to see Harlem. they particularly liked sunday mornings when they could hear music coming out of the churches. The circle line is also fun for visitors.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 10:17 PM
mizcora

Restaurants: Chat n chew (union and 16) funky good american with a twist,

Pisces (alphabet city) amazing seafood, Mary ellen's (6th and 16) gourmet mexican

Sightseeing: castle in central park, zoo, Barney's, FAO, Soho, Balducci's (6th and 10th), Ellis Island, Chinatown (hold your nose)

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 03:03 AM
Suzanne

Your friend will just LOVE to walk around Greenwich Village and Soho. YOu can make a whole day out of those two areas. Great funky shops in Soho and the village. Cool, one of a kind type of boutiques and shops. Great restaurants and bars...just walk around and take it all in. You can't go wrong. You'll find lots of bookstores in Soho with great outdoor cafes. The area around West Broadway is always fun in Soho along with Prince Street and Spring Street. You'll just get lost there all day.
)

Have fun.

Suzanne