Trip to Manassas

Old May 10th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Manassas

We will be in Fredricksburg in June visiting the Civil War sites in the area. My plan for our last day is to drive to Manassas from Fredricksburg in the morning, tour site, then drive to Mt Vernon for the afternoon. As I am not aware of the the distances or road conditions and I am wondering if this is possibile to do in one day? Thanks in advance.
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:15 AM
LN

It's about 40 miles from fredericksburg to Manassas but depending on traffic I wouldn't know how long it could take. Amazingly, it's also about 40 miles onto Mt vernon. It could be difficult to do Manassas in the Morning and Mt Vernon in the afternoon especially with at least an hour driving time to each. Perhaps if you drive up to Manassas the night before you could stay there and tour the area fresh in the morning.
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Take I-95 N to Dumfries and then rte 234 into and through Manassas to the battlefield. Commuter traffic on I-95 will be heavy so I would also recommend going up the night before. The Days Inn on Balls Ford Rd off 234 and next to the battlefield is a nice hotel.

Manassas to Mt Vernon will be at least an hours drive, but by going in the afternoon, traffic will be light

Check Freetrip.com for mileage and time. They may suggest I95 N to Woodbridge and using the Prince William Parkway to Manassas which is also a way .
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:06 AM

The crucial thing to remember about driving in the Washington DC area is the distance in miles between destinations is irrelevant. The only meaningful factor in determining how long it takes to get from place to place is the TRAFFIC.

The best way to get from Fredericksburg to Manassas is to go up Route 17 from Fredericksburg, then get on Route 29 near Warrenton, then north on Route 15, and south on Route 234 ("Sudley Road")which runs right through the Manassas National Battlefield Park. This will bypass the horrors of I-95 and take you through some pretty countryside with a lot of Civil War history of its own. Just east of the Manassas National Battlefield Park, Sudley Road becomes a commericial strip with numerous chain motels and restaurants.

From Manassas, there is no really easy way to get to Mount Vernon. The "least awful" alternative would be to pick up Route 66 east (this intersects with Sudley Road at the edge of the battlefield, go south on Fairfax County Parkway Route 7100, and then get on Route 1 which will take you to Mt. Vernon. Though not ideal (there will be traffic), at least this route keeps you off I-95.

I guess visiting both places in one day is "possible" but hardly enjoyable. Both the Manassas Battlefield and Mt. Vernon are extensive facilities and require most of a day to do them justice. The parking at Mount Vernon is extremely limited. If you arrive too late in the morning, you may not find a parking place.

Your visits will be much more pleasant if you can go to each place on separate days. And if at all possible, schedule your visit to the DC area on weekend days, which will reduce the traffic you will have to deal with.

Old May 11th, 2003, 09:22 AM

As the previous posters have indicated, you can do both in one day, but you're better off choosing one site and enjoying a leisurely day of touring. The drive along 17 and 29 from Fredericksburg to Manassas is nice and there are several wineries along the way...also just FYI, once on rte 29 take it straight through until you get to Sudley Rd (rt 234) make a right and the entrance to the visitor's center is less than 1/4 mile on your left (you don't need to get on 15 or the bypass). Aside from the visitor's center are the Stone Bridge, the Stone House and various walking trails. Really a full days worth of touring. Old Town Manassas is being regentrified (sp?) and has some charming shops and a good farmer's market on Saturdays!
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the information on the area and the directions. Not knowing the area well this was just what we needed. Sounds like we can't go wrong either place.
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:57 PM

Here is the Virginia Dept of Transportation website, with maps and road work advisory info: http://virginiadot.org
This is the website for the Civil War Trails, which may give you a more scenic and historic drive from Manassas to F'burg: http://www.civilwar-va.com/virginia/index.html
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:52 AM

From Manassas, the easiest way to get to Mount Vernon is to take 66E to the Beltway (495) and take it south to the Route 1 south exit. You don't ever had to get on 95 (although in some parts the road will be labeled 495/95). But a little more scenic is to take 66 to 495 to the Route 1 NORTH exit. Turn right on Duke Street, and then take another right on South Washington. That is the GW Parkway, and will deliver you directly to Mount Vernon.

You'll want to leave Manassas before about 2 or 2:30 p.m. to avoid the worst traffic. You'll likely hit traffic on the Beltway near the exit for 95 South, as it always backs up onto the Beltway. Otherwise, you should be okay that time of day, although things do happen.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the info. We are so looking forward to our trip. We love the back roads so it is helpful to know the best way.