Search

Trip to Maine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Maine

I am taking a 5 day trip to Main at the end of October. Flying into Portland, Maine then driving to Camden. Any suggestions on must see places? If there is a great town to stay in somewhere between Portland and Camden I would love the suggestion. Any great hotels, restaurants, bars, off the beaten path kind of places . I would love ideas of places that are not tourist traps as well. I am a thrift store shopper and I love a good priced antique.

Thanks
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 02:42 AM

You can find discussions on where to eat on chowhound.com Northern New England thread. Check open hours ahead of time because lobster shacks usually close after Columbus Day. Our favorite area to explore is the Harpswells, east of Brunswick. Google for the conservation property map that shows areas you can explore. The Giant Stairs is a nice walk along the cliffs. Two years ago we stayed just north of Camden in Lincolnville at Bay Leaf Cottages. You'll have to travel further north to visit the Chicken Barn Antiques and Used Books. This year we are trying an airb&b place a bit inland. One of the best bargains is if you can find a good benefit supper. Twice we have gone to lobster suppers and once a chicken barbecue during Heritage Days in Bath. They are usually held on a Saturday night at a church or benevolent association or to raise money for a volunteer fire dept. Some may only advertise by a sign out front and an ad in the local paper on Saturday of the event. Fat Boys Drive In between Brunswick and Bath is supposed to be a bargain but we kept going by at the wrong time. Brunswick is a college town. Bath is the home to Bath Iron Works. Cellar Door Winery has a retail outlet on Rt 1 in Camden just south of town but their original location and vineyard in Lincolnville is nicer but given late October, again, check open hours.
It won't be a bargain but the lobster rolls and view at Bite Into Me food truck that parks in Fort Williams Park south of Portland are both great if the weather is nice and they are still there that late in the season.
Instead of Reds in Wiscasset we sent to the Sea Basket. Usually good food. Decent family type place, nothing fancy if you want fried food.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 02:51 AM

A lot of things will be closed or only open on weekends by the end of October, but that still leaves you more to do than you can do in five days.

Camden is a good place to stay. It has plenty of its own attractions and is so good base for places north and south. If you have Netflix, watch the movie "Peyton Place", which was filmed there.

Nearby, Rockport and Rockland are both interesting, the former with village charm, the latter with a working port and the Farnsworth Museum of Maine Art. The Farnsworth also own the Olson house, setting for "Christina's World" which is hard to find but Worth It.

There are beautiful old houses in Wiscasset that hardly anyone sees because of the horrible traffic jams caused by Red's Eats. I think it may be much quieter at the end of October, so you could enjoy yourself.

What you need to understand is that most of the Good Stuff is not on the main road. All the picturesque little places along the coast are on narrow two-lane roads, and you will need good maps to find them. The DeLorme Maine Atlas is the gold standard.

There are antique and junk shops along US 1 and in most of the towns and weekend flea markets. Don't expect bargains.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 07:16 AM

I found all of Portland to be off the beaten path--guess it depends on one's frame of reference! But if you're interested in great restaurants and bars, I'd recommend Portland for sure.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Off the beaten path? Hmm, I wouldn't think of Portland that way at all.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 09:30 AM

It seems to me that outside the region, people don't really know about Portland, so I meant it more in a best-kept-secret kind of way. Maybe it's just our friends, lol. When we tell people we know how much we enjoyed it, it always seems like news to them.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Portland as a foodie destination would be hard to miss as it's been written up many times in Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, NYTimes etc. We go often and each time it seems to be more and more crowded with new restaurants emerging and harder to get into the restaurants. So at one time, 10 years or so ago, it may have been "unknown" or off the beaten track, perhaps, but definitely not any more.

I''m not a huge fan of Camden although I know it is very popular. I prefer Rockland. Driving out the peninsula to Port Clyde is a lovely drive with lots of interesting places along the way.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Portland and Camden would be best, they do not "wind down for the summer" as much as the smaller towns/summer destinations.....why do you want to stay "between" Portland and Camden?
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 11:00 AM

<why do you want to stay "between" Portland and Camden?>
That's what I was wondering, too. Portland is so much fun, I'd stay there the first night.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. I don't have to stay between Portland and Camden. I just fly into Portland and my husband has a hotel in Camden. He is there for work but will be arriving a day later then me. I am open to anything because he will be busy with work and I have a car. I just wouldn't want to go too far because I only have about 4 days.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 01:25 PM

Now I'm confused. Are you staying in Camden and looking for things to do, places to go near there? Or are you looking to go someplace else for an overnight or 2?

Portland to Camden is only about 11/2hours drive. Along the way check out Bath which is a nice town. Along the way there are lots of antique and thrift shops you can pop into. I like Wicasset esp off season - get off rte 1 and explore the lovely town. As suggested above Brunswick is home to Bowdoin College and a cute little town. The museum at Bowdoin is free and very nice. Just take off on any side road and explore as mentioned above the side roads lead to some beautiful scenery and interesting sites.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 01:55 PM

I think she's staying in Camden for 4 nights, but has 1 night (arrival night) free to herself, so would like to stay somewhere other than Camden.

If you want a great hotel for one night, Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth. Black Point Inn in Scarborough is very nice, too. Both are 15-20 mins from Portland airport.

For something a little more out-of-the-way, consider Boothbay Harbor. There are a few antique stores to visit as well as a Humane Society Thrift Store and a Hospital Guild Thrift Shop. Everything within a mile or so. Thistle Inn is a great place for dinner, the dining room or the casual bar section. Welch House Inn or Tugboat Inn would be nice places to stay for a night, walking distance to shoppes & dining.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Yes what clarkgriswold said is what I mean. Thank you the info. I will look into those place.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 09:08 AM

I see on another thread that you enjoy botanical gardens. The fabulous Coastal Maine Botanical Garden in Boothbay is open until October 31.

http://www.mainegardens.org/visit/ho...ssion-getting/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdCa4O_TxAA
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 01:24 PM

I didn't mention the Botanical gardens since your didnt' say that was an interest. But if you do indeed like gardens, I agree with clark, the one outside Boothbay is really nice.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

I LOVE botanical gardens. I volunteer at one at home in California. Thank you can't wait to see them.