Search

Trip to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Hawaii

This is rather long, sorry.... i kinda rambled..

My mom has promised that when i graduate college in feb that she will take me anway on a trip wherever i would like to go. I chose Hawaii. I have researched somewhat, but am looking for some advice from someone who has been there or knows someone who has. I am not looking for adventure like snorkeling or scubadiving. I would enjoy a swim with the dolphins or a whale watch. We were hoping to do an all inclusive but when i spoke with a rep from expedia, she informed me that Hawaii does not offer that in any of their resorts. Why???

So if you have any input as to which island we should go to, or even any good experiences with hotels or resorts. btw, My mom would like to keep the trip at no more than 3000 for hotel and flight for both us. She said we can not go if its more than that. Is that feasible?

I've done some checking on Orbitz, Expedia, and Travelworm and the cheapest ive gotten was about 1,306 per person, but that does not include the money we spend there. That was for a city view room/ 7 day stay. I could go cheaper with a standard room, thats no view at all. Any input would be greatly appreciated..... thank you so much... : )
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:28 PM

A trip in whale season would be great. You don't say which part of the country you live so can't guess how much of the cost might be fares. $3K for two for a week is very do-able tho'.

The only all-inclusive place I've heard of there is the "Big Island" (Island of Hawaii) Kona Village Resort (v. expensive)
http://www.konavillage.com/ a search on this site might turn up some reports or try www.tripadvisor.com

Condos rent for less than a hotel and offer the advantage of more space & privacy. See the state's tourist site www.gohawaii.com lots of info and you can order planners for each of the major islands free.
American Airlines' vacation packages can give you an idea aavacations.com as well as operators like Pleasant Hawaiian
http://www.pleasantholidays.com/Plea...Web/Welcome.do

For a new grad (congrats in advance ) my bias would be toward Maui but there's plenty of others who'll disagree - and agree
Happy hunting.
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:53 PM

In February, you should be able to get air and hotel for $1,000 +or- per person.

I live on Oahu and have had many visitors over the years. Some have paid as little as $800 for air and hotel per person. Some as high as $1400 because they chose more expensive hotels. These were visitors from Kentucky, Minnesota and North Carolina. Another couple was going to come from Pennslvania but had to cancel. Their trip was $950 per person.

The airfare and hotels are always high for the summer. Check for rates again in September.

www.hawaii.com
www.expedia.com

There are many more websites with the same deals.

Sea life Park on Oahu has a Swim With The Dolphins Adventure.

http://www.sealifeparkhawaii.com/parkInfo/
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Im sorry, Im coming from Pennsylvania.
Most flights ive seen fly to Atlanta, and then to HI.

I think Maui is out, it seems more expensive, and more for the night life. I am not the typicl college grad (springbreaker) i dont drink, and i dont go for the club scene. Id be in HI, for the sights, shopping, beach, food, Lauo and i would love to go on a whale watch.

If i was to choose to stay in Kuaui, do they have boats that could take you voer to the other islands for day trips?

Thanks,
Brittany
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:44 AM
Sid

Brittany,

Check out http://www.pleasantholidays.com

I used them for a 6 day/5 night trip to Maui in January. We got a condo, car and airfare (from LA) for $900/person. The condo was the Maui Eldorado which was fine. Now we didn't spend time on the property because we spent most of our day on excursions...driving around the island, whale watching, luau etc. Pleasant Holidays has numerous hotel options that you can choose from, so if you want a nice pool or beach access you will have plenty of choices.

Now, we live on the east coast (Boston and DC respectively) but were able to get cheap flights to LA so we could catch our flights to Hawaii.

Congratulations on your graduation and have a great trip.

Good luck.

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:03 AM

Hi Brittany,
If whale watching is a big priority I think you should consider Maui. There are good deals to be had on Maui, you just have to wait for a deal. Keep checking various sites like expedia, orbitz, and AAA and Costco if your mom is a member. You also mentioned wanting to take a boat to neighboring islands. Maui is ideal for this because you can get to both Lanai and Molokai via boat.

Another thing to consider, since snorkeling is not a priority for you keep in mind the Big Island or Kauai for land scenery. I have not been to the Big Island, but Kauai is very lush and green. It is not ideal for people who want a lot of nightlife or shopping, it is more laid back and less touristy than say Maui. Keep in mind that February is the rainy season so South Kauai will be more dry than the North Shore area.

The best deals (cheapest) I've found are to Oahu. There's simply more competition on Oahu so there are great deals to be had. But don't get discouraged. You can find outstanding deals to all of 4 major islands ($1000 or less) if you are persistent. I would pick your general dates and an island first, then hunt for prices.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 08:14 AM

I would suggest Oahu for most of what you are looking for. You have a lot of shopping, lots of restaurants at ALL prices and will PROBABLY get the best air and hotel deal but like others have said keep looking. I'm not sure about the whale watching from Oahu, so someone else can better advise you on that. If not Oahu, then I'd suggest Maui. The whale watching should be very good from there...I saw lots of whales just from the beach last time I was there. Maui has a good mix of everything. I know there are tons of people that absolutely LOVE Kuaui but for a first time visitor, I'm not so sure that's the best. I think maybe it's just a little TOO laid back. I've been to all the islands many times, but when I was younger and on my first visits I loved the Honolulu "buzz" and all the "touristy" stuff that now that I'm older and have been to the islands so many times, I usually try to avoid. Actually, I still like Honolulu for a few days and Oahu has so many quiet beautiful places also, that it still is one of my favorite places to go. I look at Maui as kind of a "middle ground" between Oahu and Kuaui. You've got some time so keep looking. The right trip will be there for you. Now, if it were me and my mom said I could go anyplace I wanted and I lived on the east coast, I'd be goin' to Paris!! Congratulations on your graduation and have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 08:20 AM

Are you looking for $3000 for just room and airfare? Food and activities are expensive in Hawaii.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:17 AM

for the sights, shopping, beach, food, Lauo and i would love to go on a whale watch.

If i was to choose to stay in Kuaui, do they have boats that could take you voer to the other islands for day trips?

No boat day trips from Kauai (except sightseeing around that island).
From Maui you can go to both Molokai & Lanai:

http://www.molokaiferry.com/molokaiday.html

http://www.go-lanai.com/

There's lots of very reasonable places to stay in Maui and it will fit with your list just fine, especially the whales.

http://www.pacificwhale.org/
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

My mom found a package deal where you fly to HI, and then board a cruise ship that for 7 days takes you around to all of the islands. I think she said it is NCL cruise line, and worked out to 4000 total for 2 people. Which includes everything, airfare, meals, and activities on the boat..
Do you think this is a good idea?
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:51 AM

Noooooooo. You'll not be off the boat long enough to enjoy the terrific ambiance and scenerey of the islands.

Maui is a great island for doing the things you like. Nightlife in HI is very limited and it really isn't a party scene or anything like spring break. I've been there 5 times, 2 times with my young kids, and it's really a laid back family style place. If you are interested in the party scene you'd have to seek it out.

Stay in Kaanapali. You'll be on a great beach, within easy walking distance to restaurants and shops at Whalers Village and if you don't want to drive to Lahiana for the Old Lahaina Luau you can always go to a luau at the Marriott or the Hyatt. In the evening you can watch the beautiful torch lighting at the Sheraton at Black Rock.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:55 AM

I'm not going to discount the cruise out of hand, but.......there are usually a lot of older people on cruises. Having said that, when I was your age I actually preferred the company of older adults so the age thing might not be a factor for you. The possible down side to this is that with cruises, it's almost always about the cruise itself. You would have to check and see how many days at sea, do you dock somewhere everyday, how much shore time do you have etc. If you want to see any of the particular island you dock at you will probably have to take their shore excursion (is it included in the cruise cost?) or rent a car yourselves to get around and explore. So, this is something that you and your mom will have to make the decision on, but........I don't think that it's the best way to visit the islands for the first time. Just MHO.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

creflors,

i just figured it would give me an oppurtunity to see a "bit" of all the islands so when i take a trip back and ill be paying for trip, i ll know where i ll want to go and focus all my time. Im not one for the young party scene either. Ill be content just having quality time with my mom.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In your shoes I would consider the cruise(!) definitely (and I'm not normally a cruise type). But it would give you a nice vacation and a chance to see each of the different islands, and a fixed budget so you don't have to worry about expenses.

People normally fly to get from one major island to another, not take boats.

For your budget & if you don't want to do the cruise, I think a package deal on Oahu based out of Waikiki would be best. You might check Hawaiian Airlines website for ideas.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
BTW- "city view" can mean pretty depressing. I wouldn't pay any extra for it, but might as well go with a standard, if you can't afford ocean or at least mountain facing view.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Suze..

Thanks, I was wondering about that whole city view thing.. i want a view.. so im greatful for the heads up about city view. Your only there for so long, i think the ocean view is worth some extra money. But, my mom is definately leaning towards the cruise package, and i agree that it will probably be best.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:37 PM

Brittany,
Skip the cruise. If your budget has just increased to $4000, you can have one great time on the island of your choice and do several side trips and still spend less than the cruise.

You should go to one island, maybe two. You can't possibly see anything Hawaii has to offer on 8 hour cruise stops at each island.

Also, I think you have the wrong idea on a "party scene" in Hawaii. Most of the islands are very low key and there are very few bars, especially on islands like Maui and Kaui.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:40 PM

Just to throw a monkey wrench in, I would never do a cruise in Hawaii. The whole fun is being ON the island - going to bed there, getting up there, exploring some of the non "tourist port" areas. I have managed to go to the islands five times over the past 27 years, the first time in my teens on a whirlwind package that visited four islands. If I were you, I would spend a week in Maui. You can stay in a nice condo like the Whaler and eat a few meals in. You would be near Whaler Village and not too far from Lahaina. I believe with careful planning you can do it within your budget... Get some guidebooks, look at a package with Pleasant Holidays, etc.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:09 PM

If you're willing to all and talk to someone at Expedia, I think it'd pay to talk to a local travel agent who's been there if I were you.

That's what I did when researching and planning my trip. In my case, it worked out better than what Expedia was offering, particularly since I wanted multiple islands. Off the cuff, I think your budget of 3 to 4 thousand for the flight/room/rental car is totally doable, probably much less than that.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM

Brittany: I'm with "no cruise" on this one. Hawaii is a place to softly absorb sitting on an island and over your lifetime. Wherever you start is great; it will grow on you over the years. The pace is slow and to be absorbed from the land; mostly by sipping a cool drink watching the sun set. Maui is my favorite and I've been going for over 20 years now - every February. I find something new each year. Whales are there roughly Jan-May and the limits on speed boats, jet skis and the rest can't be beat at that time - nothing like hearing whale calls when you are snorkeling.
Pick somewhere, stay on land and vow to go to the next island in the coming years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -