Trip to Glacier national park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2021, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and i are planning to go to GNP and maybe yellowstone this summer in mid july. (we are both vaccinated so please no covid comments) We have flights to and from Spokane because we want to use our southwest points. If we end up also going to yellowstone and there is a better place to fly home from we are open to that. We have 7 days not counting the days we are flying. We are planning to hike and home to see wild life and natural beauty. Should we just plan to stay and do glacier the whole time? and then maybe one day before we leave drive back to spokane and go to Coeur D'alene? Our flight will be landing in the morning so we will drive to GNP on day one. The over night train sounds nice but i think we would rather drive and get there to start our visit early day two. i'd really like everyone's thoughts on this,. thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 08:42 AM

I wouldn't mind seven days in Glacier and maybe spending some time in Whitefish, as well. But if the East side of Glacier does not open this summer, then I'd consider adding Yellowstone.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Is there a reason to think the east side of the park would not open?
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 07:45 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jul4
Is there a reason to think the east side of the park would not open?
It didn't last year.

It depends on what the Blackfeet tribe decides. That is dependent on their vaccination rollout.
https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-an...remains-closed
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 09:07 AM

As starrs said, it's due to Covid. Decisions haven't been made yet for the summer.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/statusupdate.htm
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 10:23 AM

Southwest doesn't fly any place close to Yellowstone. Salt Lake is the closest but still at least 5 hours away. I had reservations in Glacier last June after Yellowstone but canceled them due to the east side staying closed. I've been to Glacier before and it wasn't worth the long drive to me for just the west side. I also heard that the traffic and parking situation was bad due to the limited opening so definitely keep an eye on the situation. If the east side doesn't open, you could still spend a few days on the west side and spend some time in other areas (Whitefish, Sandpoint, Coeur d'Alene).
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

so maybe we should go to yellowstone and grand tetons and surrounding area instead and plan a tip to glacier for another time.
if we fly into salt lake city would we pass any of the utah natl parks on the way to yellowstone? (we've been to zion and bryce already.)
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

trip to yellowstone/grand tetons

based on all your help i think we will fly into salt lake city and go to yellowstone, grand tetons and whatever else is around there. We are open to ideas.
it sp\sounds like it would not pay to go to glacier if the east side did not open up. any ideas for our new itinerary. We have seven days not counting our travel days.TIA
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 07:48 AM

I would work on getting your lodging now, and then plan around that. It's late in the game to find lodging.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 09:35 AM

No the UT national parks wouldn't be on the way to Yellowstone. There isn't really anything overnight worthy along the way.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 06:12 AM

We visited Teton's and Yellowstone in 2019. Both are beautiful locations. I would recommend Jackson Hole WY as arrival/departure location. It is close to Tetons/Yellowstone. Check on overnight Reservations in the park, otherwise its lots of driving. You can try Signal Mountain Lodge in Tetons, Lake Yellowstone Hotel & Cabin, Old Faithful Lodge Cabins, and can't recall the lodging in northern Yellowstone, but if not available Granier is the closest town outside of Yellowstone. Recommend spending time in the Tetons and then going on to Yellowstone and back to Tetons, Jackson Hole WY.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 06:43 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
so maybe we should go to yellowstone and grand tetons and surrounding area instead and plan a tip to glacier for another time.
I think that's a very good plan.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 08:40 AM

There will be a limited reopening of in park accommodations in Yellowstone again this year so you'll want to check on availability now and keep checking for updates in case of any changes https://www.yellowstonenationalparkl...om/summer2021/ The information for phase 1 reopening was just updated this week and some people are having their previous reservations canceled or changed to alternate properties. No date has been announced for phase 2. I expect that additional rooms will reopen in phase 2 like last year. However I wouldn't book anything that's not on the phase 1 list.

I'm not sure if accommodations in Grand Teton will fully reopen this year. Last year Jenny Lake Lodge and Jackson Lake Lodge didn't open.

You can also make reservations/back up reservations in the gateway towns of Gardiner, Cooke City or West Yellowstone for Yellowstone and Jackson for Grand Teton.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 08:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My husband and i are planning to go to GNP and maybe yellowstone this summer in mid july. (we are both vaccinated so please no covid comments) We have flights to and from Spokane because we want to use our southwest points. If we end up also going to yellowstone and there is a better place to fly home from we are open to that. We have 7 days not counting the days we are flying. We are planning to hike and home to see wild life and natural beauty. Should we just plan to stay and do glacier the whole time? and then maybe one day before we leave drive back to spokane and go to Coeur D'alene? Our flight will be landing in the morning so we will drive to GNP on day one. The over night train sounds nice but i think we would rather drive and get there to start our visit early day two. i'd really like everyone's thoughts on this,. thanks
I don't blame you at all for not waiting around Spokane for the train that leaves after midnight. If you are jet lagged, drive to Coeur d' Alene on day one and then have a leisurely day driving to Whitefish on day 2.
Check to see if your Southwest points will get you to any of the Montana airports.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 12:24 PM

Southwest just announced that they'll start flying to Bozeman on May 27th. It's about 90 minutes to the north entrance of Yellowstone.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 01:33 PM

I read an article today reporting that about 50% of the people on the Blackfeet Reservation are now vaccinated, and it sounded like there was going to be a discussion about possibly opening the east side of the Park this summer.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

THANKS so much!!!!!!!!!!! I just switched my flight!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 03:51 PM

You might. Want to change your flight again, Southwest just added Bozeman, MT 90 minutes from Yellowstone. I got flights from Hartford to Bozeman for $212 round trip.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify we decided we will go to yellowstone/grand teton and surrounding area and save Glacier for another time.
Flying into Bozeman (yay) on a sunday and have until the following monday when we fly home. We will go straight to yellowstone ( we booked the grey wolf lodge there) and then go on to jackson to see the grand tetons. how many days do we need in each place? what else should we see?

Last edited by jul4; Feb 27th, 2021 at 04:07 PM. Reason: changed info
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 04:11 PM

Yes stay in Jackson or Grand Teton itself for Grand Teton. Since you need to be in Jackson on Friday, I think it makes sense to go to Yellowstone first, then Jackson/Grand Teton on Friday and Saturday. Sunday can be Jackson/Grand Teton or somewhere closer to the airport depending on the timing of your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -