Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trip to Alaska for 7-10 days. Need help!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am planning to visit Alaska in June2012 for 7-10 days with my wife and two other friends. Starting from Anchorage to Denali for 3 days and 2 nights and then 1 day for 26 Glacier cruise. Can anyone suggest what are the other must things/places to visit.

Planning from 2 June- 12 June. Dates are flexible.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You have 7-10 days in Alaska before the cruise? We spent ten days in Alaska beofre flying to join our ship in Juneau. We started out in Anchorage, next went to Denali for a couple of nights then drove south to Girdwood and stayed at the Alyeska Resort. Next we continued south to Seward, spent the night, and then over to Homer for several days which we really enjoyed. We took a day trip by float plane from Homer to over to Katmai National Park to see the bears catching salmon in the river, an incredible experience..We also went to a fishing camp on the Kenai River for a few days. Beautiful scenery and easy access to all these places by car.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM

greatalaskanholidays.com great routes for you and info.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM

We really enjoyed Girdwood and Seward as well.

We also did a flyout/bearviewing/float plan in Soldotna that was great.

We did a helicopter/glacier landing/dog sledding at Alyeska/Girdwood.

The train from Seward to Anchorage was really good we thought.

My parents highlight on their trip was landing on Denali with a flight out of Talkeetna

I think a person needs to experience Alaska from the air to get a true taste of it. Bush pilots and trains are much more importan in Alaska than anywhere else in the US- they are really truly a part of the transportation system.

You could ride the tram at Alyeska for a fairly inexpensive option. Maybe hike Exit Glacier at Seward. Spend a couple of hours a the sealife center there.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 04:15 PM

The projected date for the entire Denali roadway (accessible by Park bus only) is June 12. We were at Denali in 2008 and at Denali about the 15th of June - the roadway had just opened the day prior.

Weather can push the date a bit in one direction or the other, but I think your dates put in question whether or not you could take the full trip into Denali roadway.

We loved Seward and chose to spend 2-3 days there rather than driving to other parts of Kenai Peninsula. Also had about 2 half-days in Anchorage, and might have increased that by about a half day, but certainly not at the expense of either Denali or Seward.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Are you interested in The Kenai, Alaska's Playground - Anchor Point, Clam Gulch, Cooper Landing, Homer, Kasilof, Kenai, Moose Pass, Ninilchik, Seward, Girdwood, Whittier, Nikiski, Soldotna, Sterling...?

Like us on Facebook to see the Live and exciting news:
http://www.facebook.com/thekenai

Be sure to request your FREE Adventure Discovery Guide which will certainly make planning your trip fun!
http://kenaipeninsula.org/excursion/planner.htm

My name is Jhasmine Lamb, I am the Communications Manager for The Kenai Peninsula Tourism Marketing Council and I would LOVE to help you discover The Kenai!

Jhasmine Lamb
Communications Manager
Kenai Peninsula Tourism Marketing Council
35571 Kenai Spur Hwy.
Soldotna, AK 99669
907.262.5229 office
800.535.3624 toll free
907.262.5212 fax
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM

We've been to Alaska twice. We've enjoyed:
Denali bus tour--their buses not a private company
Flightseeing out of Talkeetna--we used Talkeetna Air Taxi--one of the best things we've ever done on any vacation
Seward--we've used two different whale watching companies-both were good--really enjoyed that. I've heard you see more wildlife than on the 26 Glacier cruise, which focuses more on glaciers of course.
If you like fishing, we had fun trying to catch salmon by combat fishing in the Kenai/Russian River confluence in Cooper Landing.

Look into the Alaska Toursaver coupon book. It will cost around $100 but can be worth it. Most coupons are 2 for 1. It really saved us a lot of money on the flightseeing trip.
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM

Don't what you all like -- read some of the above and they are great recommendations -- one thing I enjoyed on one of my trips was a plane trip out of Fairbanks up to Prohoe Bay -- we stopped at two eskimo villages along the way -- and visited with them and they put on a little show for us -- also, by doing this you could really comprehend the vastness of Alaska -- also, seeing wild life from the air.