Search

Trip Rpt- Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:54 AM
crys

Trip Rpt- Oahu

This is my 2d installment on my Hawaii trip report. This one covers Oahu.

LODGING: Stayed at the Halekulani. Highly recommended. Very understated. They get almost everything exactly right. I reserved a "garden view" (the cheapest), which they were out of when I got there (I was gambling on that), so was upgraded to courtyard view. This means not much view from the room, but a great view of the ocean from the lanai. Well-located, in the heart of Waikiki, yet very removed from it all at the same time. Package included breakfast, and the Halekulani key gets you admission to a number of museums (and the symphony), making it more of a bargain that it appears.

MEALS: The best of what I tried was Chai's Island Bistro (pan-Asian) in the Aloha Tower, and (in the cheap eats category), Chollo's in Haleiwa on the north shore. Hoku's, in the Kahala Mandarin, had good food, but they were overt in rushing the table turnover which is not what one expects in a restaurant in that price range. House Without a Key is nothing to speak of food-wise, but you MUST go there at sunset to listen to Hawaiian music, and watch the hula with the sunset in the background. Get a table on the east side to face the sunset. Skip the Sunday brunch at Orchids--overcrowded, overrated and overpriced (but, if you do go, stick to the Japanese buffet. The American buffet is pretty much the same thing as the daily breakfast at House without a Key that was included in the room rate). Finally, the Parc Cafe across the street from the Halekulani does a pretty good dinner buffet (as buffets go).

ACTIVITIES: Boy, is Oahu underrated! I loved it.

Waikiki is funny: Rodeo Drive meets Ocean City Boardwalk. The ultimate in people watching. TAKE A SURFING LESSON!!!! If I, a middle-aged, creaky-kneed woman, can do it, so can you. Go to the Beach Boys on Kuhio Beach Boys. Private lessons are only $10 more than group, and the extra help is worth it.

Climb Diamond Head. It's a harder climb than some would have you believe, but the view is worth it and most can do it (there were quite a few people who didn't look exactly athletic at the top). Go early in the morning and DO bring a flashlight (a little penlight will do the job), water, and a hat. A lot of the climb is in the sun.

Two worthwhile drives: Up the Tantalus. Don't miss this. Along the way, and at the state park near the top, you have indescribable views of Honolulu, the Punch bowl, Waikiki, Diamond Head, the Manoa Valley, etc. If you do nothing else, do this. Along the way, stop at the Contemporary Museum for some lighthearted modern art. Another good drive is across the Pali, up the eastern coast to the north shore. This may be even better in the winter when the waves are way up, but it was nice in the summer. Drive back down the middle of the island through pineapple fields.

Tour the Bishop Museum and the Iolani Palace (Halekulani key is good for admission to both). Try to do them on the same day, since they convey somewhat contrasting messages re Hawaiian history, particularly in the late monarchy era. (If you're going to Kauai, go to the Kauai Museum for yet another subtly different view of it all).

I didn't go this time, but if you haven't been before, Pearl Harbor is a must.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:28 PM
mj

Crys,
You've inspired me! Spent my 43rd birthday on Maui boogie boarding with my kids. Had a ball. I think that surfing lessons are a must on our first-ever Oahu trip in December. Also looking forward to a mai-tai at sunset at House without a Key. Maybe I should start with the Mai Tai and then surf...
Thanks for a fun trip report.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:39 PM
kalena

Aloha crys! You mention many of my favorite spots. I'm glad you did your research before coming....great trip report. Next time you come, walk through Chinatown (have lunch at Indigo) and visit the Honolulu Art Academy. You'll probably also enjoy the trails at Kualoa Ranch, another beautiful location. Hope you had a nice trip home too.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 09:06 AM
bk

crys- 1 question if it's not too personal

Aside from the extras (symphony, museum tixs) why did ya choose the Halekulani? Just curious, given your choice to stay at the Sands in Kauai. No offense intended to the Sands - just struck by the budget differences.

Did ya get a great deal, or just decide to splurge. The cheapest room I see is @$275/night.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Patty

Great trip report! We were pleasantly surprised with dinner at the Parc Cafe too (went on Hawaiian night). Will give Chai's Island Bistro a try next time.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:03 PM
crys

BK, it was part splurge, part that I was looking for a mix of experiences on the different islands: luxury hotel on one (oahu), B&B on one (Big Island), and condo on the other (Kauai). Each has its merits.