Reload this Page >

2nd Trip to San Fran, this time alone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:54 AM
suzanne

I'm spending a weekend by myself in San Francisco before a Monday business dinner. I was just there in February, so I feel like I've seen an awful lot there already, including:
Fisherman's Wharf
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Bridge (walked it...my favorite part of the trip) & the fort underneath
"Painted Ladies"
Haight-Ashbury
Market Street
SF MoMA
Lombard St
Palace of Fine Arts
CA Palace of the Legion of Honor (the grounds, anyway)

I need suggestions on OTHER things to do/see out there. I'd like to spend no more than $200/day including lodging. I WON'T rent a car. I'm not into museums or shopping...I'd rather wander through interesting neighborhoods and scenic areas, rent a bike (where can I?) and take a boat ride/tour.

More importantly, what area should I stay in? It would be great to be within walking distance (2 miles) of where I want to visit, and also near some nightlife (friendly, relaxed bars/breweries). Suggestions for bars and hotels would be much appreciated.

BTW, I'm a 30 yr old single woman.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:15 AM
J Correa

Check out the walking tours by City Guides. They are a non-profit org through the public library that gives free walking tours throughout the city. They ask for donations to help offset the operating costs. I heard about the tours from other people on this site, and we took the Chinatown tour a couple weeks ago and had a great time. Next time we are up in SF, we will take another tour. www.sfcityguides.org

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Grasshopper

Take a ferry over to Sausalito for the afternoon. If possible, rent a bike and take it with you. You can ride to Sausalito (across the bridge and downhill) and take the ferry back. There are bike rental places on the Embarcadero in the direction of PacBell Park. Also, bars and restaurants you would most likely enjoy in that area.

What month are you travelling?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:25 AM
oaklander

hmmm, let me see?
If I had a weekend in the city and didnt want to do all the touristy places where would I go?

First off, I remember yesterday seeing this rent-a-bike place by Pier 39-dont know how much.

Interesting neighborhoods in SF( places you didnt mention)
The Haight is very interesting,the cradle of the hippieworld, there are places to find one-of-a-kind clothing shops, music, I know there are also decent bars and restaurants.

The Castro-Gay Mecca-its walkable and a streetcar ride from the financial district/ downtown. Unique shops and restaurants also.Very interesting

You didnt mention Chinatown? Its one of the largest chinese communities in the US-a great way to see life from years past still going strong now-Id say its become somewhat of a tourist trap-BUT-thousands of people live and work there too, excellent chinese food but too many "5 T-shirts for $10 stores"

If you dont mind taking a ferry from The wharf or the ferry building, then why not visit Sausalito or Tiburon over in Marin-they are beautiful bayside towns that offer stunning vistas of the city and have their own charm and ambience. Great shops, restaurants, beautiful waterfront, walkable and a good sidetrip.

There are numerous boat tours of the bay as well as commuter ferries that offer service to nearby towns.

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head. Have fun.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:14 PM
suzanne

Thanks for your help! The Sausalito/Tiburon ferry ride and bike rental (riding across the bridge would be awesome) sound especially fun! Sounds like Chinatown is worth at least a stroll. BTW, I'm going out there Sept. 21-23.

My last time out there my BF and I did all that stuff I mentioned in one day (crazy, right? We started at sunrise) and the 2nd day we drove down Route 1 to Monterrey and Carmel and then went to Berkeley for dinner...it was certainly a whirlwind tour, but I never thought I'd get a chance to go back.

So...would the Embarcadero be a good area to stay in? I'm not all that familiar with it, except that it's on the water, has some good bars, and I can rent a bike from there.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:18 PM
J

One great neighborhood no one has mentioned is the Mission. Wonderful crepes at Ti Couz, my favorite Mexican at Taqueria CanCun on Valencia and 19th or 20th (I think?).

A great walking tour is Cruisin' the Castro with Trevor Hailey. I think I have her name right, but I know that's the name of the tour. Look it up online.

I would also recommend an afternoon at Kabuki Hot Springs in Japantown. Best massage I've ever had; great thermal baths and steam rooms, too.

And say hi to the buffalo in Golden Gate Park for me, will you? They always make me smile.

That about sums up my favorite things to do in SF! Oh, one more....take that bike you rent out to the Sea Cliff neighborhood and stare at the unbelievable houses and views.

Have fun!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Susan

Yes, Suzanne, I'd think the Embarcadero would be a great place to base yourself. Be sure to go to the Ferry Plaza farmer's market on Saturday morning for breakfast and take in the sights and smells.

You can catch a ferry to Angel Island and rent a bike there for a ride around the island, incredible views. The Ferry Building is right across from the foot of Market Street, in the Embarcadero.

You could probably get the Harbor Court hotel for around $87 per night on hotwire. It's been coming up a lot as a three star boutique hotel. Great location.

You'd also be close to PacBell park if you're interested in catching a ball game. If you just want to peek, you can watch through the "knothole" for a few innings.

Lots of great bars and restaurants around that area too. Have fun!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Susan

And I'll second J's suggestion to spend some time at the Kabuki Springs spa! Wonderful massages and facials to be had, and you can stroll around the Japan Center before or after. Good sushi at Maki.

Actually, the Harbor Court has been coming in for $82 per night on hotwire. Have fun!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:42 PM
kam

Another vote for the Farmers Market on Saturday, Tiburon or Sausalito by ferry, walking or biking the GG bridge,if you want company on your walk through Chinatown go to www.wokwiz for a good guided tour and dim sum lunch with compatible people. Also, walk down Fillmore Street or Union Street in Cow Hollow. Great place to browse and easy for a single gal. North Beach is also a great neighborhood to walk in and stop for a cappucino in one of the little coffee bars.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 02:43 PM
suzanne

You guys rule! You've all been so helpful and have been giving me great ideas. Wish I had more than a weekend.

Unfortunately, no game at Pac Bell that weekend but I'll survive.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Lucy

Great suggestions for SF! I would also look into tours outside of SF like a Napa/Sonoma tour $40. My friend was just went on that tour and loved it. Since you have more money to blow than she did, try the Napa Valley Train for dinner.

Another great place to bike around is is Angel Isalnd.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:24 PM
snarla

I was just there last weekend...

-I second/third the suggestion to Ferry over to Sausalito/Tiburon. Get a bike. Have lunch at Sam's in Tiburon..it's at the Marina and if the weather is good the patio is the best around.

-Castro has some great restaurants. Check out "Home" for a great meal. The diners are very friendly so you might strike up a conversation with people.

-Do you like ABBA? Go see "Mamma Mia". It's a great show. I believe it ends its run this month. Orpheum Theater.

-There is some great theater in SF. Don't overlook an opportunity to see a great show. They all offer matinees.

-Golden Gate Park is HUGE...did you see everything?

Have fun!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:24 PM
J Correa

I haven't heard good things about the wine train - I've never taken it though, so I don't have any 1st hand experience. Anybody else?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:31 PM
kam

Would vote against the wine train. You will be captive on a train that basically goes up and back on route 29. There is 1/2 of the trip eating and 1/2 of the trip observing "nothing" but the highway and traffic. The natives hate it. Better to rent a car and see Napa on your own---it's very easy.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:50 PM
oaklander

Napa is a great side trip-just remember that traffic back into the city on sunday evenings is the heaviest traffic time of the Golden Gate Bridge for the entire week-so Id try to go up there in the early mornings but head back after lunch( if you decide to go on sunday)I wouldnt recommend driving to Napa or back to San Francisco on 80-the traffic out here in the east bay is even worse.

alamo rent a car seems to have really cheap rates at SFO comparatively speaking( if you eventually decide to rent, but aside from Napa, you dont really need to)

The coastline of San Francisco is really quite stunning as well, rugged and sandy at the same time against deep blue pacific-

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:44 PM
suzanne

Is Harbor Court the 3.5-star boutique hotel in the Embarcadero that is coming up for $87 (saw it for $82 a few hrs ago - it keeps changing). How do you know this?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Sean

Avoid the Mission District. It is somewhat better than it used to be, but crime in this area is still a problem, especially after dark.

In terms of the embarcadero area, it's better that staying in Uniom Square, but the area tends to shut down rather early at night.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:37 PM
L

Another good neighborhood is the Marina, around Chestnut, Lombard, and Webster Streets. It is young and hip. Many good pubs and restaraunts. There is even a swingin singles safeway on Lombard. I went with a college group some years ago and stayed at a cheap hotel, The Plantation Inn, (415) 921-5520, at 3100 Webster. It was clean and quiet, but cheap.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:33 PM
J

I'll respectfully disagree, Sean. If you stay on the main Mission streets, it's fine if you're used to big cities. If a visitor is uncomfortable and doesn't have a good radar, doesn't know where they are going, or advertises wealth, sure, lots of neighborhoods in lots of cities are unsafe. But the Mission is fine if you have a decent radar---and certainly fine during the day. As a single woman, I've spent much time in the Mission, and I've always felt fine.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Sean

J, I am from a big city, so I am used to dealing with some of the rougher areas of a city. In the Mission, though, practically every residence and storefront has bars on the windows and doors. That area of SF is know for gang and drug activity. In fact, 2 days ago a man was fatally stabbed in the Mission District.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -