Trip Rpt - Navajo, Hopi, Mesa Verde, Chaco

Apr 19th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Trip Rpt - Navajo, Hopi, Mesa Verde, Chaco

We flew in to Albuquerque, rented a car, and took the following route:

Window Rock - the rock was very nice. Navajo Nation Inn was fine. Hightlight: opening hotel room door, and having a small herd of cows walking through the parking lot.

Second Mesa - Saw homes without electricity, but also saw signs for hip-hop dance. There much be some very interesting conversations at extended-family reunions. Stayed at Hopi Cultural Center motel. Food was fine, room was fine. Highlight was driving through the villages, and the silence on the mesa.

Canyon de Chelly - highlight was the trip in a unimog through the canyon, and meals at The Junction restaurant. Stayed at Best Western - no complaints.

Four Corners - if it is along your route, stop. Otherwise, skip it.

Mesa Verde - simply amazing. Stayed at the Best Western in Cortez. Highlight other than visiting the park, was dinner at Fiesta Mexican, and visiting Mesa Verde Pottery.

Chaco Canyon - loved the remote location. Dirt road was fine and easy to drive.

Pictures and more details at:

http://www.mikehoneycutt.com/vacation_2003.

Mike Honeycutt
Apr 19th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Mike,

I really enjoyed your web site & pictures! Your link didn't work but I found this one did.

http://152.18.16.27/vacation_2003/index.htm

Utahtea

Apr 20th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Mike,

We are planning a trip to southwest area of colorado this summer. We were planning on staying in Ouray but how was the Best Western in Cortez? We are going to vist Mesa Verde park and would love to stay near enough so we visit other areas.
Thanks
Apr 21st, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea - thanks for posting the working address. Actually, either should work - I'll check.

Froggy - the price was around $60 a night, and I thought the room was fine (clean, safe, convenient). If I stayed there again, I would ask to be a little further away from the street since there was a little traffic noise. Be sure to visit the pottery and mexican restaurant I mentioned.

Please post a trip report so others can benefit from your experiences.

Mike Honeycutt
Apr 21st, 2003, 03:24 PM

i really enjoyed your trip pictures, mike. i visited these places and can't imagine anyone seeing your pictures without wishing they could be there too. i wish mine were half as good. i had station kndn on the car radio all the time as i mentally followed navaho policeman jim chee around the rez, especially window rock and tuba city. what a great country.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Seniormsuedu, but like everyone else there were plenty of bad pictures I didn't post.

I've lived in NC my entire life, so seeing the southwest, and in particular, visiting the indian reserverations was a great experience.

Mike Honeycutt
Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:02 PM

I would love to do this trip. How many days was the vacation?
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Myname - we flew into Albuquerque on
4/4 and returned on 4/12. With a few exceptions, my plan called for not being in the car more than 3 hours a day. I also left several afternoons free and stayed in several places (Window Rock and Chinle) for two nights so it wouldn't seem like a whirl wind tour.

We did a similar trip out of Las Vegas last year, and in both cases, put about 1000 miles on the rental car.

Mike Honeycutt
Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:13 AM

Your pictures are lovely. I have been thinking about making this trip myself. My concern is - I'm afraid of heights. There is no way I'd stand at the edge of those canyons. Do you think it would be an issue or is it still enjoyable?
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:03 AM

Mike - Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. We were in Cortez & Mesa Verde a couple years ago & went to a Mexican restaurant on the main street in town and didn't like it at all. Don't know if that's the same one you're referring to. But then, we prefer Tex-Mex - everyone has different tastes.

DeborahB, I have vertigo so I can relate to your fear. However, I didn't have any problems at Mesa Verde.

We then went with an Indian guide on the Ute Reservation and one of the Anasazi ruins (The Eagle's Nest) just about did me in. I still can't believe I actually climbed that long ladder and walked across a VERY narrow ledge and lived to tell about it!
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:28 AM

JJ127, my heart actually began beating very fast when I read about your comment on the Ute Reservation visit! Can you have vertigo just reading about someone else's experiences?!

I've actually been wanting to go out there for several years now. I'm in NC. Hoping later this year to make a trip out.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Deborah B - Thanks for the nice words about my pictures. I don't think you'd have any issues with the heights at the places I visited. My girl friend is "repectful" of heights, and she didn't have a problem. All the trails were wide, and while you can find plenty of places to jump if you wish, all the overlooks had railings.

JJ127 - I suspect it was a different restaurant. I'm a Tex-Mex person myself (how do you know if you're in a "real" Mexican restaurant?), and this place met all of my needs - good service, cheap, large portions, nice atmosphere, etc.

Mike Honeycutt
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:37 PM

Mike - It probably was a different restaurant. Looking at your pictures makes me want to go back! We had a great time there.

DeborahB - I do hope you plan a trip there, and I hope you have a wonderful time! Give us a report when you return.

Search this Thread