Search

Trip Rpt- Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:45 PM
crys

Trip Rpt- Kauai

This is the 3d installment in my Hawaii trip report. This one, on Kauai, I have to break into 2 sections since I spent longer there (8 days), so there's more to discuss.

LODGING: Stayed at the Kapaa Sands which, despite its name, is in Wailua. I've stayed there twice before, but this is the first time in summer. On Kauai, seasons matter not in the sense of temperature but in the sense of where the rainfall and high waves are located. In summer, the waves are higher on the east shore (where Kapaa Sands is) and practically nonexistent in the winter. There's a daily rain there all times of year, but you stop even noticing it after the second day. I like Kapaa Sands--it's a small 2-level condo complex right on the ocean--but it IS starting to show some raggedness around the edges. All in all, though, it was still a good place to stay. I had an oceanfront efficiency. It was not huge, but not small either. The lanai was steps from the beach. Because of rip tides, anything more than wading was not a good idea, but this time of year, that beach got a good number of surfers. also, it seems to be a favorite spot for fishing.

MEALS: Cafe Coco, on Kuhio Hwy in Wailua, is not to be missed. They do great things with fish. The setting is lighthearted, and there's live jazz many nights. BYOB. Also good is Mema's--in the same areas--a great Thai place. The other "don't miss" is Duane's Ono Burger--a hamburger joint along the side of the road in Anahola. Get the cheddar burger and shoo the chickens and roosters away from the outdoor tables, and you're in for a great lunch. (there's wild chickens and roosters all over Kauai)

Not quite as good, but still worthwhile eating are the Korean Barbeque (across from Mema's in Wailua) and the Camp House Grill in Kaleheo. Also, Hamura's Saimin Stand in Lihue is fun- a hangout for locals and tourists alike.

Disapointments included Lemongrass Grill (so-so fish and the only snotty service I saw anywhere in the state of Hawaii), Gaylord's, Kilauea Bakery and Pau Hana Pizza (terrible calzone), and Brick Oven Pizza in Kaleheo (actually, it wasnt bad for non-NY pizza, but it had gotten a lot of raves, so I'd expected more). Unless you enjoy indigestion, avoid Eggbert's and Bubba Burgers (but Bubba's t-shirts are worthwhile).

RENTAL CAR: Do NOT rent a car in Kauai from Alamo. They give a nasty (and slightly dishonest) hard sell for insurance and for an upgrade. I had reserved a convertible. Their standard convertible is a VERY beaten-up Camaro or Firebird, and they go on at length at what a bad car it is for a woman, then try to sell you up to a Sebring. Actually, the main difference is that the Camaro is badly dented and has a dirty interior, while the Sebring (which is the standard convertible for many other rental companies) is new. Alamo was fine on the Big Island, and at least tolerable on Oahu, but on Kauai, it was my only nasty experience on the island.

I'm going to put ACTIVITIEs for Kauai in a separate email. any longer an email than this, and I start to get trouble.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 03:52 PM
kal

crys, Welcome back?

Did you make it over to the Tradewinds for Kareoke? ;-) The Sand Bar?

We've been hearing a few things about Lemongrass recently. We've never had a prob there but you know how the restaurant bizz goes...especially on Kauai!

Constant raves do build up expectations and I know what you mean. I heard all about NYC pizza and when we got back there around 5 yrs ago, went thru the same thing. Guess I'm a Chicago pizza fan. But...I've STILL never had a bad pizza!

What was up w/ Eggberts? What gave you the burn?

Can't wait to hear about your activities!
104 mo' days.
kal

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:35 PM
crys

No, I didn't get to Tradewinds or Sand Bar. Lemongrass could have been having an off night. One thing I didn't mention that could color things. I was traveling alone. Although I did go to some restaurants with other people, I went to some (including Lemongrass) alone. Sometimes you get "attitude" when you're alone that you wouldn't get when with someone else. On the other hand, sometimes you get better treatment when you're alone. But it can color things one way or another.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:54 AM
bk

welcome back! Sorry to read about you car rental hassle.

What did they want to charge ya for a sebring??? I've rented many a convertible (albeit in FL) and have never heard of such a thing. I'm going solo in @ a month so the heads up is much appreciated.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:10 PM
crys

At first they quoted an extra $50 a day for the Sebring (!!!), then told me they'd give me a "deal" at $25, then that they could stretch it to $15.
In case you hadn't gathered, I, too, went solo. Hawaii is a great place for it. It's easy to hook up with others if you want, or to be by yourself if that's what you choose.