TRIP REPORT - San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who helped me plan the SF portion of the trip! Your advice was great!

DAY 1: We arrived in Oakland and got the 12 passenger rental van from Budget. We only had the afternoon after a long flight (6AM flight from NY) so we devoted it to the Golden Gate Bridge. We drove from the airport grabbed a bite to eat and headed over the bay bridge to SF. We followed "johncharles"s directions and drove through the city to the Vista Point right before the bridge. The lot was pretty full, but we finally got a spot and parked. We walked halfway across and back and took many pictures. Then we got back in the car and drove across the bridge to the Marin Headlands following "easytraveler"s directions and climbed the hill to another fabulous and different view. WOW! The afternoon weather was clear so we got a lot of great pictures.
We skipped Golden Gate Park as it was getting late, but went to Lombard Street to watch the cars drive down (we were afraid to due to "no vans or trucks" sign, but we probably could have done it).

Hotel was Holiday Inn Express -Fisherman's Warf ($129AAA + $28parking). It's directly across from the Hyatt! We were pleased with the location and the continental breakfast included which helped with our group of 10! We were allowed to use the Holiday Inn's pool nextdoor. Dinner at Lori's Diner per suggestions on this board. Cute 50's theme. Wish they had kids menu for the little ones.

DAY 2: Took Hyde St Cable Car from beginning ($3 per person) to Cable Car Museum (corner of Mason and Washington). Interesting little Museum that fit our budget - FREE! From there we were on the edge of Chinatown so we walked down Washington St to Ross Alley and the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory (really a small room with 2 ladies who were not thrilled to see our group of 10) We paid for photo op and bought bag of cookies. Continued to Grant and then turned left, walked to Pacific and then turned left and continued to New Asia Garden(on right)for Dim Sum lunch and chance to rest and sit down! Walked from there to Pier 41 and 2:15(reserved in advance) boat to Alcatraz. Everyone really enjoyed the audio tour including the kids! Highly Recommended!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:03 AM

ny - then what? I am going in September and love reading about what others have done there!

Karen
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Me too; me too (going in September and love reading what others have done). Lori's Diner's at Ghirardelli Square, isn't it? I have my eye on a couple other fast food places there - like Frijtz Fries and the Ghirardelli Soda Fountain - any good? We're also thinking of doing the 49-mile drive (as we only have a day and an evening) so that we get to see as much as we can. Has anybody done that?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:29 AM

I frequent the Frjtz in Hayes Valley and always take out-of-town friends there for delicious fries and their cute patio. Never been to their place on Ghirardelli Square but I can attest that their fries are delicious. Especially with a Chimay. I mix the wasabi ketchup dip with mayo. Yummmm!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Kal

OK...I'm ready to go back!
Still battling P'line!

cher_cher-Do we have to put you on the SF FFFs GTG list? Or are you on it already and I'm at the wheel?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Wildblueyonder, I think the 49 mile drive is a great way to see a lot but one word of caution - find the map online and print it out. As a local, I decided to take this drive recently for the first time and there are several key signs missing.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Thanks, cher_cher! I have my eye on the strawberry crepes!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Thanks Grasshopper. I got the map from somewhere or other (just checking ... San Francisco Convention & Visitors Bureau ... www.sfvisitor.org) - so OK there. I think we'll give it a go then! Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Kal, what is SF FFFs GTG list?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:55 AM

San Fernando

Frequent Flyer Foundation

Great Thingamajig (Giggle!)
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

kaudrey, my entire trip is divided into several posts all starting with TRIP REPORT on 7/26/04. The first follows "Trip Down Coast in Van with 10!", then "San Francisco" then "Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel" then "Drive down Big Sur Coast" then "santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel" then "san Simeon,Cambria". I hope travelers like you find them helpful. Have a great time in Sept.!!!!!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Kal

c_c_-
FFF GTG= Fine Fodor's Friends Get To Gether!