San Francisco w/ 8 yr old-Alcatraz,Exploratorium,waiting for cable cars

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the last weekend of July, 2010, Grampa and Gramma (that’s me and DW) took our 8 year old granddaughter (DGD) to San Francisco. We have gone many times; this is her first. We drove from Central California on Friday, arriving at our hotel about 3 PM.
I picked the Hyatt Regency, Embarcadero, for one main reason. It is located at the foot of California Street, where it meets Market in front of the Ferry Building. Walk out the door, there is the California Street cable car and the “F” Line (vintage, historical) streetcar line for the Embarcadero, to Fisherman’s Wharf.

The trip came together rather quickly, and only about two weeks out, I began looking for prices. Expedia and other discounters had rooms at over $200. The Hyatt web site was also at $200+. I called the 800 number and got a bayview room with two double beds for $189.

2 things: Bayview was technically correct, but just a sliver of the bay in view. 2nd, The $189 turns into about $275 what with taxes and a $50 car charge.

But the room was large and cannot fault the room at all. A call to Housekeeping had more towels and shower caps in just a couple of minutes. The concierge was very helpful with my few questions. We have stayed here before, and DGD was dutifully awed by the sky high atrium. This hotel was featured in the old Mel Brooks movie, “High Anxiety.”

Our room was on the 2nd floor, a minor disappointment, until I found out that higher up rooms don’t have two beds due to the reduced room sizes because of the building configuration. Not sure that’s true, but that’s what I was told. My refusal to pay for an upgrade may have had something to do with it.

I knew we would be on the cable cars and street cars a lot, so after inquiring with the concierge about deals, I went across the street to the Walgreen’s, and bought a 3 day passport for $20 for each of us. This “passport” was good on any SF muni transport; buses, cable cars, streetcars, all of it. We made that up almost in the first afternoon.

After checking in and getting settled in our room, we went out, got the “passport” and hopped on the California Street cable car, taking it up to Powell street. DGD was suitable thrilled, riding on the open side with me, standing on the step, much to Gramma;s consternation, and we knew we would enjoy this weekend.

We went right back down on the California street line, getting off on Grant street, Chinatown. We walked north for about 3 or 4 blocks, got bored, and returned to California street after buying a couple of items. My memories of Chinatown are rather dim, as we don’t usually go there on our many trips to SF. While maybe a tourist “Must see,” I guess, it seems kind of trashy and tourist trappy to me. DGD soon wanted to get back on the cable cars.

After Chinatown, we rode the California Street cable car down to the end, and walked a block back up to Tadich Grill, a SF landmark since 1849, and one of our favorite dining spots in SF. We were early, about 5, but still there was 30-40 minute wait for a table. Sitting at the bar was immediate, so that’s what we did. DGD was thrilled. DW and I had our cosmo’s, DGD had a Shirley Temple. Very grownup. We had Sea Bass (DW), Shrimp (DGD) and halibut (me). Outstanding, as always. I have never been disappointed at Tadich Grill. And all the fixin’s; sour dough bread, veggies, deserts, etc. We got her back to the room around 7, for an early to bed for one and all.

Saturday, I suffered typical male anxiety about burning daylight as I waited patiently for two females to get ready. Finally, about 9, we walked across the Embarcadero to the “F” line historical streetcars, arriving at Pier 39 about 10 minutes later. We breakfasted at the Eagle Cafe, with views of the Golden Gate, marina, and a lot of sealions. This is another of our favorite places to eat. I always get their corned beef hash and eggs; DW the French Toast. DGD scarfed up on blueberry pancakes. Lots of energy needed for the rest of today. We strolled Pier 39, watched sea lions on the docks, and bought DGD a disposable camera. It is very interesting to see what kids take pictures of.

We took the street car back to Pier 33, and got in line for our 12 o’clock departure to Alcatraz. I bought the tickets on line a couple of weeks before. Even then the earliest I could get for either Sat or Sun was 12:00. However, that worked out just fine. Don’t think we could have managed much earlier. However, we talked to several people with kids who were not able to get Alcatraz tickets on the day they were there. As advised here time and time again, if you want to see Alcatraz, you must get the tix ahead of time on line, or risk not going.

We were there right at 1130, and the line was very organized and orderly. As boarding begins, you pass by a picture station where your pictures are taken. You can buy them when you return, or not. We bought ours; $22. It’s about a 10 minute ride out to the island. There is a small snack bar on the boat. No food is allowed off the dock area. Water is available on the island. The sun was shinning, though it was windy and fairly cool with the wind chill. We sat on top, taking in the views of the bridges, the city, and the bay.

We stopped at the dock area and watched a 17 minute video (from the Discovery Channel). It was good to watch as a primer for what was to come.
We then walked up driveways to the prison itself, where we were issued our audio guides. These are a great way to tour the prison. They’re part of the price of your ticket, and you just follow the guide around the prison. Granddaughter listened intently to every word. Any effort to speed her along was resisted.

You can spend as much time as you want on the island. You can run around in the exercise yard, stroll around the island, and absorb the beautiful views of the the bay. Our 8 year old took it all in with great interest, not moving from a station until the tape recorded guide told her to.

We got back on the dock about 2:30, and after a short wait, were back in SF about 3:00, having seen all we needed. A short walk south to the famous Fog Diner for a very good late lunch. We then wanted to catch the “F” line streetcar back to Fishermen’s Wharf, and go to Ghiradelli Square for dessert. Streetcars were not running north for some reason, finally restarting about 5. It took about an hour to finally get there. But the sundae’s were terrific. Later, I developed a suspicion that they quit running cars “into” the Pier 39 area in the afternoon due to pedestrian congestion.

We walked over to the Hyde Street Cable Car terminus where they turn the cars around to return to Powell/Market. The wait there was over one hour. The lines were very long. In fact all of the Wharf area was swarming with people. Difficult to even walk along the sidewalk. It was extremely crowded. We took the Hyde/Powell car up to Knob Hill, switched to the California Line, and back in our hotel about 8:30. It was a great day, but a lot of waiting for cable cars and streetcars.

Sunday we slept in some, and had breakfast at the hotel. We passed on the $23 buffet, instead were perfectly happy with the more reasonably priced regular breakfast menu. (All three of us, about $40). We then got our car and drove out to the Exploratorium, stopping on the way to drive down the crooked part of Lombard Street, thrilling the 8 yr old no end. There was easy free parking at the Exploratorium. We opted not to do the Tactile Dome. Not much risk of being sold out here. We figured our DGD would be done here in a couple of hours, and that was about right, although others we talked to ran a bit longer or shorter, depending on the kids’ interest.

She did enjoy it quite a bit, and many of the exhibits are fascinating, grabbing the interest of adults as well as the kids. The far and above hit was the toilet rigged as a drinking fountain. It was fun to watch the faces of people who starred at it, finally comprehended the situation, and got that “eeuu” look. Granddaughter and Grampa drank of the water. Gramma “eeuu’d”.

We drove back over to the madhouse of Fisherman’s Wharf for a late lunch at the Franciscan. We had a bunch of shrimp and crab, with great views of the bay. We wandered around the Wharf area for a while taking in all the craziness, buying some sour dough bread in the shape of a teddy bear. What a scene. Later we had dessert at the hotel, then to bed.

For the last day, after checking out and having the hotel hold the luggage, we grabbed the California street cable car one more time, to DGD’s great delight. Thank heavens for that 3 day pass. I swear, she would have spent all three days on the front end of that cable car. We switched to the Powell Street car at the top of Knob hill, and went down to Union Square, where we got off, walked around the Square, and visited the Barnes and Noble. Bought a couple of books.

To go back up, it was hopeless to catch a cable car, since they load them up at the turnaround down at Market street with folks heading for Fisherman’s wharf. The cars don’t even stop. We could have walked down a few blocks and joined the line to get on. We decided to walk up a few blocks to California Street.

Huffing and puffing, we got on the California Car for the last time, and little darling stood on the rail in front, hanging on to the white pole, wind in her face. At the bottom, the conductor let her ring the bell several times. Shoulda seen her smile.

So that’s a quick three night visit to SF with an 8 yr old and two old folks. We’ve been to the City many times, living only about 3 hours away, but it is always wonderful to see it through a child’s eyes for the first time. As they say, “Priceless.”

Others may find many other things of interest; there is so much to do and see. And with some, kids can stay up later. But this is our trip, and maybe someone out there will benefit somehow from this little report.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:24 AM

Great trip report! We have been to SF without our 8yo DD but will bring her one of these days - and will consult your report!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great report, I do love Chinatown though.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:58 AM

Sounds like a great trip. I need to get back to SF sometime soon.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM

>>getting off on Grant street, Chinatown.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Great report -- what a memorable trip for your granddaughter!!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:01 AM

What fun! Always enjoy the good times through others' trip report; thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Great report, only there is no "knob" hill in SF, it's Nob Hill
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM

We LOVE San Francisco and we cannot wait to take out Granddaughter - she's 2 so it will be a little while before we do, but we sure hope she has as good a time as yours did [and you did too]
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM

VERY sweet report. Your granddaughter will cherish those memories for the rest of her life. GRANDparents are the BEST!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

OOoops! NOB Hill, whata goof! Sorry bout that. Of course!

Yeah, it was great. First thing she told her mom when she got home was she rode a cable car and drank out of a toilet.

We made up a DVD of all we did for the two weeks she spent with us, including the SF part. Our son tells us she's watched it several times. I think it was a hit.

Thanks for your comments all. I heard it was 98 in SF today. Ouch. Triple digits here, but we're used to it. Not good in SF. When we were there, it was sunny, but cold with the wind.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Loved your trip report!

Lee Ann
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 08:13 PM

>>

We're not complaining! (It's been so cold this summer, I refuse to complain even though it's ridiculously hot )

Your trip sounds like fun. (Tell you GD that when I first visited San Francisco, they didn't allow woman to "hang on" to the cable car -- woman had to be seated!!)
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 12:34 AM

"First thing she told her mom when she got home was she rode a cable car and drank out of a toilet." - LOL was her mom thrilled?

Our kids make us DVDs of their trips too, best souvenir they can give us!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 04:30 AM

BillJ:

Enjoyed your adventure very much with DGD - what a great tip about the 3 day passport available at Walgreens.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Sandy
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 05:46 AM

Thank you for sharing your trip report. I can almost feel your granddaughter's delight!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

sf7307: Yes! I remember that. Women had to sit down, please.

Dayenu: Mom looked at us with this questioning, horrified, "what is she saying?" kind of look.
I just told her to see the movie. He he he!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 07:31 PM

BillJ ~ delightful trip report

DH and I hope to go to the Tadich Grill next week; would you share your thoughts on their dress code please?
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM

Anything goes as far as dress code for Tadich. Smart casual would be best, but jeans will work too.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 07:42 PM

BillJ...was in San Francisco for the first time 2 weeks ago...reading your report put me right back there experiencing the magic. Thanks...we did a lot of the same things you did....basic touristy San Francisco....and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -