Trip Report: San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from San Diego - Dec.26-New Year's Day. I can see why people want to live there - we had great weather except for the "rare rainshower during the night -early a.m. while we sleeping and 1 afternoon. We had a great time - there is so much to do. We had flown into Long Beach and spent Christmas Eve and Christmas day at the California Disney - spend Christmas day at the park. We had fun though it was the busiest I have ever experienced any of there parks including Orlando. Getting back to San Diego. I originally was planning on staying at they Hyatt and glad we didn't it is too big and very conventiony - I was considering the Hilton but we went with the new Omni - loved it! The staff were gracious - there was one who would sing to my 10 yr. daughter when she came out or was going in.
It is located right at Petco Park - you can even see into the stadium on one of the floors. They have alot of baseball collector items displayed in cases on the walls. It is a modern, sophisticated hotel. I loved the room - bright, clean and comfortable bed. We could walk to the Gaslamp area right across the street. 5th and 4th Streets are restaurant rows!!! We took a trolley tour to familiar ourselves with the lay of the land.
Balboa Park is great - many museums - We went to the Zoo, Science Museum, Miniature Train Museum, Museum of Photography over the days we were in town. We did a day in LaJolla =loved walking the coves and seeing the Pacific crash on the rocks - had a great dinner at George's on the Cove on there rooftop. There is another great restaurant there called Fresh. We did a day at Coronado - had lunch at the hotel and walked around town. Went up to Point Loma at the Cabrillo Monument - what a fabulous view! Had a great breakfast at Cafe 222! Also recommend Lou & Mickey's and GreyStone's. The hotel had a good Schmidt & McCormack's. Tried Sammy's Woodfire - it was the worst meal while we in San Diego. Rama was good for Thai. New Year's Eve the streets were filled with people = we just had a early dinner and caught a movie at the cinema in Gaslight - there are two one is part of the Horton Plaza. We did need a car. Any ?'s please ask away. I always appreciate the help I get.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Sounds so great! I always think I have to wait until summer to head to San Diego! I will have to rethink my opinion! Thanks for a great report! I agree, it is a WONDERFUL area! Margo
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 01:16 AM

emhg88 - Nice report of one of my favorite cities. We also took the trolley tour on our first visit - what fun.

Thanks for sharing.

Sandy

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM

ttt for Eeva
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:28 AM

Sorry Eeva ttt was for memejn