Reload this Page >

Trip Report - low-key weekend in Los Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 10:50 PM
rrr

I actually live in LA but had family in for the weekend - first time in Los Angeles so I go to play tourist.

Two adults booked into the Huntley hotel in Santa Monica. Great location near the ocean and across from the Santa Monica Promenade - an outdoor walk-street with lots of fun restaurants and shopping. Decent rates, especially for Santa Monica.

Friday night we walked the Promenade, watched the street performers, and had dinner at The Lobster - a restaurant adjacent to the Santa Monica Pier -great bar, great lobster, a perfect sunset setting. Took a cab back to the hotel and ended the evening with mexican coffees in the top floor restaurant at the hotel. 360 degree views of the city and live music (but FYI very average Mexican food).

Saturday morning went to the Los angeles Farmer's Market (on fairfax and Third Street) for breakfast - a fantastic outdoor market with stalls of fresh produce, touristy knicknacks, and every kind of food you could want. I usually pair Jewish baked goods and fruit salads with New Orleans cafe o'lait from another stall. My family loved this place. Great people watching -always good for the obligatory movie star sighting. Then went for a drive down Sunset and Hollywood Blvd and through Beverly Hills to see the sights. We then moved on to the Getty Museum. Not to be missed. The art collection is great but make sure to stroll through the winding gardens and take in the views. Just beautiful. Then back to the hotel for a short rest before going to my favorite LA restaurant: Warzawa on Lincoln Blvd in Santa Monica. It is rather a small Polish restaurant - no views of anything but great old art posters in a homey setting, candlelight, vodka martinis, perfect potato pancakes, salads, goulash, perogi, and lemon crepes. Reasonably priced (entrees $10-18). Family loved it, as do everyone I have taken there.

Sunday morning family was up early for a long walk on the beach. They needed to work up an appetite for two delights that make a visit to LA complete: (1) Peanut butter- banana-chocolate donuts from Stan's Donuts in Westwood and (2) In n'Out burgers (located around the city). We packed suitcases in the car, got the donuts and took another drive out to Pasadena and the Hunnington Gardens. Strolled through the museum and the gardens, resisted afternoon tea, took lots of pictures. Great gift shop.

Then, off to the airport by way of burgers on Sepulveda Blvd, just outside the airport entrance. Great way to end a LA trip. calories be damned.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:37 AM
rrr

Top.

Look, no nasty replies.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:00 AM
klam

rrr...thanx a mint for taking the time to post a detailed trip report. I enjoyed reading it, and I don't even have a trip planned for LA!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Thyra

Hey thanks for the post.. I live in LA and have never heard of your Polish restaurant. I am going to print up this report for the next time I am showing out of towners around!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Susan

Great report! LOVE the Getty -- world class. It's always a treat to show off your city to friends and relatives and get to eat all those otherwise off-limits treats. Those donuts sound baaad!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Faina

Thank you, rrr, I'll print out your message for my next trip to LA.

And I hope to read similar reports - we are all proud of the cities we live in.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 04:51 PM
rrr

Thyra - I can't recommend that restaurant enough - enjoy!