Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 11:28 AM
deb

Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort

Does anyone have anything to say about this place? I found an ocean front room with balcony for about $270 per night. I am looking for luxury, but not quite 4-seasons luxury $$$. What do you think of this place?

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:06 PM
Cel

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance Wailea in 1996 and thought it was heaven! It was our second trip to Hawaii (first time at this hotel though). The service was beyond excellent, rooms were perfect, food was great but the beach area in front of the hotel is smaller and not as conducive to snorkling as in the Kanaapali (sp?)area. You can walk along the beach for a mile or so as it does wind around coves. If you like peace and quiet, it is perfect. We are going back to Hawaii in October and my stay there again. Good Luck

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:25 AM
Tracey

Deb,
I stayed at the Renaissance in October 2001 and was disappointed. The service was non-nonexistent. Some examples: at check in, drove into the self parking lot and were wheeling our bags to the lobby. As soon as the bell men saw us they all disappeared. The next morning we were going on the Road to Hana and needed to get some towels. I went to the pool area and my husband went to the car. At the pool I asked the attendant for 2 towels and she advised that she does not begin to give them out until 8:30am. I would have to go back to my room, call room service and get the towels from them, even though she had huge stacks behind her. There was no one to help with chairs on the beach when you wanted to sit our, you had to move them yourself. We also talked to another couple who were not pleased with their room, and had to be changed 3 times.
Other than the service, I thought the property was lacking. The pool is tiny and so is the beach area. The room however was big and spacious. We had a garden view with a huge lanai.
I don't know if the service issues had to do with the time frame we went, 2 weeks after 9/11. Maybe they laid off a lot of staff, but for the price they charged for a room, you should get more. Also after coming from the Kauai Hyatt, where they pampered you, this was a big disappointment.
Hope this helps,
Tracey

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Trixie

We just got back from there and loved it. We didn't have any of the service problems noted above. The pool is small, as are the grounds, compared to some of the other resorts in the area, but we found the smaller size to lend itself to a more intimate, rather than cold atmosphere. Though small, the pool is rather jewel-like, as are the grounds. Just be sure you get the right view -- the first room they put us in overlooked some construction in a property to the North. The beach may be small, but has some of the best snorkling around.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Paul

We also thought the Renaisannce was great and had no service problems. The only thing I will add is that the beach in front of the hotel connects to the Kihei beaches so, in fact, I would consider it a very long Maui beach. You can walk on the beach quite a long way. And it also has the good reef for snorking. Most posts here will recommend this hotel.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:43 PM
joy

To Tracey - too bad that you had to get your own beach chairs! The Renaissance is a wonderful hotel, starting with the bell men right down to the wait staff at the restaurants. The women who clean the rooms could not be more efficient or nicer. We have been going there for many years -the staff remains the same. Interesting point, isn't it? Maybe you should travel with a maid.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Robin

Come on now, Tracey.
Don't you think you're being just a little myopic here?
Two weeks after 9/11 disaster was the absolute pits for the travel industry.
I don't doubt the validity of all your complaints, but the timing of your trip leaves everything open to speculation.
BTW, I heard similar complaints from travellers in various parts of Hawaii during the first month after 9/11.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Nikki

We also just got back from the Renaissance Wailea about 2 weeks ago, and we loved it. We stayed in ocean front rooms and though they were large and the cleaning staff always did an excellent job of taking care of them. I had no problems with any of the staff at the resort (with exception of the front desk attendant who didn't want to give us access to the hospitality room to shower on our last 1/2 day there).

I thought the beach was just fine, and it wasn't too crowded. The beachfront rooms have their own private area with cabanas, also, if you want to use that. I just loved falling asleep to the sound of the waves every night.

Nikki

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Kate

Hi All -

We stayed at the Renaissance Wailea twice over the last two years and we really like it. Very nice rooms -- decorated tastefully. Check out the Renaissance's VR's of the rooms, etc to see for yourself.

You do want an ocean view, though. The ocean views are spectacular -- but I agree with the previous poster that the non-ocean views can be really ugly.

The chief bellman's name is Earl Love. (We still have his card!) Make sure you get to know Earl early -- and he'll take care of you the rest of your trip. He's a REALLY tall guy -- can't miss him. The rest of the staff weren't very memorable -- but they didn't annoy me, either.

There are two great restaurants close by that I can really recommend. If you walk about a mile down the beach, you'll find Carelli's -- a great little Italian food place. Or, there's Joe's Bar & Grill closer to the Renaissance Wailea. Joe's is gourmet -- and is run by the same people who do Hali'imaile General Store.

If you get tired of beaches and such, head up to Makawao, where rainbows dance above verdant green hills spotted with cows. Hot Island Glass is up there -- it's run by two young guys now -- and it's always fun to watch them create their latest masterpiece.

Have a terrific vacation!

Kate

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:22 PM
joy

Hi, I thought Carelli"s eas closed and taken over by another restaurant.
As fo Joe"s at the tennis club - how do you access it? It seemed to us that one needed to descend many steps to the entrance of the restaurant. Perhaps we are wrong. Can anyone clear this up?