Search

Trip Report - Family reunion week trip in Feb

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
S_S
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report - Family reunion week trip in Feb

We decided to have a "family" reunion of my sisters, Mom and I for a week in NY. Worried about costs and room in hotel rooms, we wanted to find an apartment to rent. After looking at what seemed like hundreds of apartments online, we settled on an apartment in Chelsea with Affordable New York. Two days before we left for NY, we got a call from the apartment rental agency that our apartment had been flooded and was undergoing repairs, but they have another apartment that we had wanted and had not been available at the time. This apartment was a bit bigger and in Midtown and they rented it to us at the lower rate of the Chelsea apartment, so we were happy.

The apartment was in a great location - across from Carnegie Hall and very close to Central Park and several subway lines. It was nicely decorated and had a large bedroom with king bed and a good sized living room with a seating area, pull down double bed, and table for four. The kitchen was well equipped and on the 14th floor, was fairly quiet although we could still hear some sirens from fire trucks and honking from taxis. We had a small issue with not enough blankets, but a call the next morning to the agency resolved the issue, several blankets were delivered while we were out.

We all arrived at the apartment Sunday afternoon, and immediately went shopping for food at Whole Foods at the nearby Columbus Circle. It was very crowded, but we managed to grab some provisions and have some sushi at their sushi bar. The next morning, we set out on the subway to Battery Park (we bought weeklong passes) and on the ferry to Ellis Island. The ticket lines were very short, but we just missed the ferry due to the security lines, so we waited till the next one for 30 min. The view from the ferry was great, we skipped getting off at the Statue of Liberty as we'd all been there before. The Ellis Island museum was impressive and the immense rooms and the exhibits gave the feeling of what it was like to go through the place as an new immigrant. We went to view the film as recommended (although there was a ranger there for the first 15 min who seemed very devoted to the place and just answered questions but as there were almost no questions it was a bit awkward). The film was nice and showed some info on what happened before the arrival at the US. We had also signed up for the audio tour which was a bit repetitive with the film and written information provided at the museum, so I wouldn't recommend it. After the ferry ride back we had a quick lunch and went to visit Ground Zero, which is heavily under construction. After a quick stop at a very crowded Century 21 department store, we went to the Brooklyn Bridge and crossed over it. Cold and tired, we made our way back to the apt. In the evening we went to dinner at Wu Liang Ye near Time Square and walked around the area viewing the lights.

(Cont in next message)
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
S_S
Original Poster

The next day we went down to SoHo. No need to arrive early, as most stores/galleries open after 11 AM. After some window and actual shopping (many design/home centers priced well above our pocketbooks), we stopped for lunch at Dos Caminos SoHo - and had great guacamole and interesting tacos and empanadas. We finished up our shopping and headed home. My mom and sister had tickets to a concert at Carnegie Hall and my other sister and I went over to Borders in the snow that started falling and covered the streets and then rested at home.

On Wednesday we braved the snow to head over to the Metropolitan Museum. They had free entry coupons on their web site (during February). First we took an overview tour with a great docent, and then split up to see the various exhibitions including an interesting one in the costume institute and of Tiffany stained glass windows. A bit foot worn and tired, we took a bus back to midtown (waiting 15 min in the snow was no fun). Warmed up we tried to catch a cab to our pre-theater dining, but ended up walking the six blocks to Roberto Passon for dinner. The food and service was wonderful and we were able to have appetizers, entrees and dessert in time for the show. We made our way to the theater for Mama Mia. The show was fabulous and hilarious, we really enjoyed the songs and the performance.

On Thursday we went to Central Park, now covered in snow and beautifully white. People were ice skating and we explored the south park before going on to 5th Avenue and visiting some of the stores and heading back to the apartment to have lunch and defrost. In the afternoon we headed over to Zabars to explore the house wares and food sections.

Friday we went to the MOMA, which felt more crowded than the Met. We took a break midway through the day and visited Rockefeller Center to see the skaters and have lunch (pizza the cheapest meal to date...). Finally in the evening we headed over to hear jazz at the Blue Note. We hadn't realized when we booked it on the advice of the Fodor's book but it’s a world renowned jazz club. We heard Kurt Elling who was wonderful and sounds a bit like Sinatra.

Finally on Saturday we went to Chinatown and had Dim Sum at Golden Unicorn, visited the Strand bookstore, and visited many galleries over in Chelsea. We hoped to have a final dinner at a Spanish place, but the wait was too long for our sore feet.

We headed home via three airports, and used Super Shuttle for transport. They were cheaper than a taxi or car service but we had to leave 1-2 hours before we had planned to leave.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, Thanks for all the help I got here for our trip!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
sistahlou

Fantastic!

How cool is that, provisioning up at Whole Foods and heading to your apartment!

Thanks for the wonderful report!

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:23 PM

What is the name of the apt. you stayed out in new york?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:41 PM

A great report and it sounds like an outstanding trip. I'd like to hear more about the apartment and Affordable NY. Folks spend endless hours looking for apts. and we don't often get much feedback after the fact. Would you share how much you paid per night and what the apt. was like from a "nicesness" standpoint? Was the address 120 west 58 st.? I would call what happened to you "bait and switch" but it sounds like you weren't bothered, correct?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM

S S - Hello. What a lovely "family" reunion. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

I'd be interested in more details about the apartment as well. Can you share the website, how you got the key etc. etc.

Sandy
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM

What a great trip! Thanks for sharing it with us. I too would like to hear more about your apartment, it sounded like the flood was in your favor! Great that you were able to spend a little time taking in the snowy scene at the park, it's that type of experience that enriches the whole trip! The interesting exhibit in the Met's in costume institute was "Nan Kempner: American Chic" - I envy you being able to see it!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM
S_S
Original Poster

Hi everyone. The company we rented from was http://www.affordablenewyorkcity.com/ The apartment was on West 56 Street between 6 and 7 Avenues. It was a one bedroom apartment, the bedroom had a comfy King size bed, and was a good size with enough closet space for all four adults clothes, but no specific room for all our suitcases which we just piled in the corners. The living room/dining room, had a double size Murphy bed. The kitchen was tiny, but had everything we could have needed, although we didn't cook more than pasta. Bathroom was pretty roomy. The whole apartment was clean and nicely decorated with interesting murals and Theater memorabilia. I don't know if it was a "bait and switch" in any case we were more than happy with the new apartment which was bigger, more centrally located and in a nicer area. We got good service from the company in responding very promptly to our one concern about blankets and any other questions we had. I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 02:59 PM
S_S
Original Poster

I forgot - we paid 25% percent of the cost ($225/night plus 8% cost) upfront and then paid the rest cash on arrival. Someone met us at the apartment and gave us the key.