Trip Report - DC weekend in the heat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all advice given here - 21 year old art student son met my husband in Washington last weekend for 3 day weekend.

Flew SWA from Manchester to BWI on Friday evening. Thunderstorms in area delayed flight by 30 minutes. A good thing because we live about 45 minutes from MHT and 90 minutes prior to flight I was searching the Merrimack College campus for son at his summer job - and he had not packed plus there was weekend traffic headed north. Would have missed flight without the delay, but for $12 additional SWA had promised him seat on 9 PM flight.

They stayed at Marriott Convention Center - for the great rate of $139. Website had indicated only single king bedded rooms available, but we reserved it anyway and husband was able to call hotel day before and confirmed Friday AM and got a 2-bed room. Hotel was great - and would have cost much more if not for August weekend in DC. Although parking was $22/day they only used car once since hotel is steps from metro and also walking distance to much of what they wanted to see.

Spent Saturday most of the day at National Gallery. Although son had been there before and I had given him alternate suggestions from posters here, having now taken several art history courses at school, it held more interest for him (if not for his father).

Dinner at Old Glory BBQ place in Georgetown - they had been there before and son is great BBQ fan. Even found street parking in Georgetown on a Sat evening - DC really does empty out in August! Each had mixed BBQ platter and reported it was very good. Son turned 21 in June so was even able to enjoy a beer with his father and the BBQ.

Sunday got tickets for Washington Monument. (I don't really know what they did the rest of the day, though). Ate at an Indian restaurant in Georgetown, again finding street parking.

Monday got in line at 7 AM for Bureau of Printing and Engraving Tour - got 9 AM tour time so had breakfast and then tour - only about 45 minutes but interesting. Then they checked out of hotel, drove to annex of Air and Space Museum (in Virginia) where they have scores of aircraft for viewing. They both loved this.

Would have been very convenient if they were flying from IAD, since museum was close to this airport. Unfortunately, cheap airfare was available on SWA so back to BWI mid-afternoon for flight. Took about 2 hours from near IAD to BWI - they discovered where everyone in Washington is in the summer - on the Beltway.

Good trip, although typical summer heat in DC. Reminder for those worrying about their "last trip" with their 15 year olds - travel is different as our kids become adults, but can be rewarding and bonding.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Thanks for posting, Gail!

We're leaving next week for a 4 night trip with our 21 yo and our oldest son will take the train down to meet us after work. My husband and I nearly fell over when they said they wanted to do DC (because of the heat), but since they have a limited amount of time off, it made sense.

Anyway, good to hear that DC empties out in August. Where and what time did they get their tickets for the Washington Monument?
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Washington Monument tickets - they got there on Sunday AM shortly after opening time for tickets - waitind about 5 minutes in line and got tickets for that afternoon.

Addendum to trip report - Spent Sunday AM at Holocaust Museum.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Sounds like a nice trip Gail.

Seetheworld - you can also reserve tickets in advance through the National Park Service. reservations.gov
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Thanks, gail.

Bennnie, that link didn't work. Could you try again...thanks so much!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Try this one. But I found it by starting at www.nps.gov

www.recreation.gov