Trip Report 3 days in New York City

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report 3 days in New York City

Just returned from a fabulous trip to New York City. We took the train and arrived at Penn Station. It was easy to get a taxi and well worth the 10.00 not to drag the suitcase up and down steps onto the subway and through Times Square.

We arrived at Marriot Marquiz and our room was ready at 11 AM. Time to go out into the city. We saw an ad for the Ducks Tour and we had done it in other cities. It is a new tour and as always the guide is the key to the success. Our guide was great. full of good stories and information. When we returned we walked to Ninth Ave and ate a quick lunch at a great Irish pub. The food was great and much cheaper than in times square and the portion size was reasonable. Why are the portions so huge? We have now started sharing an entree. We don't mind paying the per plate charge, because we don't feel compelled to eat more than we want and not as much food goes to waste. Our guide suggested that street as having many options. Next we went to the TKTS line for plays, which is much shorter than that for musicals. We really wanted August: Osage and were able to get excellent seats. Using Broadway box would have saved us money and time but oh well. It was phenomenal. It was the faster three hours I have spent. It is funny but so poignant. Estelle Parsons and the whole cast was unbelievable. It was fabulous. We ended the night in the Marquiz with drinks and appetizers overlooking time square. I will finish the next two days later. Thanks for reading.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM

nice start -- now for the next few days?
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Day 2 started with a bagel and water at a deli store. I have never seen such beautiful fruit. We bought unlimited rides on the subway, 7.50 each and headed to Chelsea Market for a foods of NY tour.

Our guide was Bob. 44 dollars includes a 3 and 1/2 tour, water, and alot of tasting. Bob knows his stuff and tells the history of the meatpacking district and the development of the chelsea market. Starts with a cookie, chocolate milk, lobster bisque, and more. Ends with sorbet. the last hour we walked around the area and ended up at a hotel with a gorgeous view of the waterfront.

We asked Bob to help us get to South Street Seaport to buy TKTS and we just like that area. He said that he lived down there and would take us. It was like an additional tour as he told us about the area and his experiences on 911. He told us he is also an apple greeter and we will definitely ask for him next year. He also has his own website, walkinny.com and we will consider his tour of central park for next year.

Friday is a great day for the tkts in south street seaport. We got tickets to Gypsy at half price and then got tickets for Spamalot for Saturday matinee. It is the only place that you can get TKTS for the next day matinee. Two ticktets and we waited in line behind two people.

We walked around, had a quesadilla at a restaurant called Red. We rode the subway to Chinatown, canal street area. Then rode the subway home stopped for a drink. Off to change for the show.

The only disappointment was that we could not find the West Bank Cafe on 42nd street for the After Party. Patrick had talked about it and we so loved Birdland a few years ago that we really wanted to try it. The hotel told us it was between 10th and 11th avenue but we couldn't find it. Oh well the rest was a great day.

Gypsy was great. the audience gasped when they announced that Patti Lupone had hurt her foot, then they added that she would perform in her isotoners. Shoes or not she was fabulous as was the whole cast. Another standing ovation, just like last night.

Day 3 is coming later this week.

The thing that impresses us is how helpful and friendly New yOrkers are and just how proud they are of their cities.

I forgot that yesterday we also took the FREE staten island ferry to get close to the Statue of Liberty. We were also told of free tours of City Hall, Waldorf Astoria, and Grand Central were all recommended. We will definitely look into for next year.

My friend and I have done this every summer for the last five years. A tradition we plan to continue.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Thanks Poolqueen

We are going to see Gypsy on Aug 12.

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 05:41 PM

poolqueen...

Great report! We had Bob as our guide for the Chelsea Market tour in May and really enjoyed it! He is a wealth of knowledge and fun too!
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM

>> Then rode the subway home << this made me smile - so comfy already!

Nice report pq - waiting to hear about day 3. Where are you from?

I loved Gypsy and August too. You lucked out with Patti LuPone not missing her performance - she's quite the trouper.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 04:58 AM

I'm enjoying your report and looking forward to day 3. My friend and I have been traveling to NYC for a long weekend for about 5 years also and wouldn't miss it for the world.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Day 3 started at the starlight diner to be serenaded during breakfast. We walked up to the Hell's kitchen flea market. Waste of time. I don't like them at home and I am not sure why I thought they would be different in NYC.

Time for another subway trip this one to Washington Square. A street fair was advertised in this area. We never did find it but we did find the park. NYU is there and it is a great area to park around and enjoy. There were musicians playing in the park and several people playing chess.

After a while we rode back up to times square and went to Spamalot. I had seen it but my friend did not. It was great. We were in the fourth row. Drew Lachey was in it.(more on him later)

We thoroughly enjoyed all of the plays we saw. Thank you Neo Patrick for your recommendation. It is hard to believe that anything could have been better than Augustsage and Gypsy. We will plan our trip next year after your trip report is posted.

We ended our trip at Junior's and were seated right next to the window near the stage door of Camelot. It was fun watching the actors come and go. Some look totally different without hair and makeup and walked out without being recognized. The king, Stephen Collins, and others spent at least 30 minutes talking with people, signing autographs and taking pictures.

To the disappointment of his fans, Drew Lachey did not come out. What does that say about him when people pay money to see him in a show and he can't take the time to come out and say hello.

The first year we were there we saw David Hyde Pierce greeting people. And one year we talked with Peter Scolari. All nice polite and appreciative of people's interests. Lachey's stock went down in my book, not that it was that high to begin with. He needs to remember that without the paying public there is not a play for him to be paid to star in. A few minutes of his time would have paid huge dividends to those people waiting and all the friends they told when they got home.

I say all this for the other people we were already in the restaurant. We couldn't leave without our cheesecake from juniors.

finally arrived at Penn Station to leave. Easiest train boarding I have ever had there. Usually it is total chaos with everyone dashing to get to the right gate. Saturday must be a light schedule for the train. We also noticed that the train was much more occupied than last year. People must be using it more now that gas is out of this world.

Thanks for reading and we have already started a list of things to do next year. As always thanks to you fodorites for your help. We couldn't have done it without you.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Not sure why the post doesn't recognize the last day. but oh well
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 02:42 AM

You saw a matinee w/Lachey, right?
Many times when there are 2 performances in one day the actors will not appear for autographs & chitchat as they need to conserve energy for the evening show.

One way to handle that is what Nathan Lane did after one show. The doorman brought out a basket of his autographed playbills whilst Lane came out, waved to crowd & got in his car. Now that was a classy act!
Conversely, others will exit by another door & leave a poor taste in your mouth. Rather stupid as you said as the public pays their freight.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like Nathan Lane knows where his bread is buttered. I wouldn't have thought anything about it except that the king was out there so long and was so gracious.