Trenton, NJ -- safe for a day trip?

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trenton, NJ -- safe for a day trip?

Question -- am considering a day trip to Trenton, NJ to see the capitol, Old Barracks, and State Museum. I'm seeing some pretty dicey stuff written about safety in this city on some other websites, and pretty much nothing here. Is it safe to walk from the train station to this area of town and back during the day? Given what I'm reading, I'm having serious doubts.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM

I wouldn't go anywhere in Trenton if I didn't have to. There are too many other safe places to go in New Jersey and Pennsylvania like Cape May, Batsto or the historic area of Philadelphia.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM

I don't think of it as being THAT bad, but I think the area around the train station is kind of iffy. I tend to be an advocate of public transportation, but it is the kind of place that it might make more sense to drive to one's destination and park there.
I believe it is pretty easy to rapidly find oneself in an area you don't want to be in, and without much indication that it's not a great direction to be going in.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM

My 2 cents... you can certainly do the walk during the day. It's a reasonably straight shot on well traveled roads and you won't have an issue. For a few dollars, you could also take a cab.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 04:10 PM
jtp

I guess I take the area for granted...I am there often for work related matters - meetings - the area is EXTREMELY safe - it is an all goverment zone... other then possibly school groups you most likely will have the sites to yourself!
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 12:42 PM
GBC

During the day you should have no trouble. From the train station take Clinton Ave to State Street. Go left thru the center of Trenton and you will find the Old Barracks on the left and further along State is the Capitol, also on the left.

This is a fairly long walk - perhaps twenty minutes.

I would avoid all of this after dark and I would not venture far from State Street. I don't know that you might have trouble but why risk it. Remember, a cell phone will get you a cab. In Trenton, except for the train station, cabs will be hard to locate so you would have to call one.