Reload this Page >

Tremont Boston Hotel??

Search

Tremont Boston Hotel??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Craigl

Tremont Boston Hotel??

I have booked a room in late September at the Tremont ($112 per night). Can anyone let me know what they think of this hotel? In addition, I have 2 young children and I am starting to have second thoughts about the safety of the area at night. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Liam

Someone asked the same question last week, and I gave the same answer:

I have never stayed at the hotel (being a local), but I can speak to the neighborhood.

The Tremont Boston is on Tremont St., which is the main street in the theatre district. It is safe at night, but like in any major city, you should keep alert, and stick to the more well lighted and well traveled areas. There will almost certainly be a lot of street traffic and people walking about the area in the evening because of the theatres, nightclubs and restaurants in the vicinity.

A few blocks away from the hotel is Chinatown and the old "Combat Zone," which used to be Boston's red-light district. Personally, I don't think there's all that much to see in Chinatown at night and, although all but a few red-light establishments have gone out of business, I would not wander over the CZ after dark with kids. There may be some shady activity still in the CZ, but you are sufficiently insulated from that where your hotel is.

Boston is extremely safe (especially for a metro are of its size) and I have never felt unsafe in the 11 years I have lived here.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Liam

I forgot to mention: I would never fear walking through either Chinatown or the CZ during the day (even with my 3 year old daughter). In fact, the growing business and theatre districts are slowly swallowing up the Combat Zone. Boston's 2nd Ritz-Carlton is nearing completion on a site which used to be ground zero in the CZ (Essex and Boylston streets).

Needless to say, the theatre district (the area of your hotel) is safe both day and night and if you got such a cheap rate I would grab it!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:28 PM
barbara

I have stayed at the Tremont House many times. I don't think it would be fun for little kids though. The hotel has 2 nightclubs that are very popular - and it is walking distance to alot of attractions. For the money - its a good deal though you won't find anything near that price for a decent hotel downtown.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Nancy

Are the four of you staying in ONE room at the Tremont for that rate? Did you book a room for 2 adults and 2 children? You will want to check the room size. Except for the large corner rooms, with significantly higher rates, the rooms are compact (large folks would have difficulty navigating around the furniture) with one large bed and bath with a shower only, no tub. I can't imagine a family of four in one of those rooms. As for the neighborhood, it's fine. The "combat zone" is all but gone. Tremont street is safe. And, you'd probably only be out and about west and north of the hotel after dark.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Maggie

The hotel is newly renovated and very nice. The neighborhood is great, too, and the location is very convenient. I agree about the small rooms, though. I was surprised at the small shower stall and no tub. If you booked one room assuming it would have two full sized or larger beds, you had better phone and check on this.