Treat for grand daughter's 8th B'day

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She lives in NYC. Last year we took her to tea at the Plaza. How to top that? Any other special places for tea or ice cream sundays?
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Serendipity for ice crean sundaes is great but won't top tea at the Plaza. There are lots of other places for a nice tea, but for an 8 year old the Plaza is the best because of Eloise, Home Alone movies. IMO don't try to top the tea at the Plaza. Do something else. What about a Broadway Show?? Lion King!!!
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:58 AM

Serendipity was the first place that came to my mind, as well.
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:40 AM

Jetty, I recommend taking her to The American Girl store on 5th Avenue at 49th Street. Even if she doesn't own one of the dolls it's a fun experience. There's a very nice cafe there too. I am not sure if they still have a musical revue show though. After that you can take her to Dylan's Candy Bar on 3rd Avenue at 60th Street. If you call ahead I am sure they will do something special to accomodate a very small group. This store has turned candy into an experience. It's a visually stimulating atmosphere and it's a lot of fun too. There's a party room with a gumball ceiling and I remember seeing a lollipop that had to be about 3 feet tall in the store. Dylan's Candy Bar is near Serendipity too.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Merilee's advice is terrific if she's never been there. They serve tea at the AG store. You can bring your doll.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:09 AM
mp

I was going to suggest AG also - but it's the toughest reservation in town - parties on a 6 month wait list, lunch and dinner on weekends booked far ahead too.You can also have your dolls' hair done in the salon. The Times just ran a big article about this two days ago - Saturday 5/15, I think.

How about a carriage ride in CP and a trip to Dylan's Candy Bar on 3rd and 60th?
(Of course, to a lot of NY kids, that's kinda old hat . . . been there, done that)
Or maybe shopping at the Times Square Toys R Us and treats at the Cold Stone Creamery on 42nd Street?

She's at a good age for Bway - Wicked, maybe (might be a bit much), 42nd St., Thoroughly Modern Millie, Lion King. Or Off Broadway - Cookin' is great for kids - or The Flaming Idiots are at the New Victory over the Memorial Day weekend, if that's your time frame . . ..
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. Several of the suggestions we had already done---Lion King, etc. But what are the Flaming Idiots?
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:22 PM
mp

The Flaming Idiotsare an extremely funny juggling/comedy/acrobatic trio - check out the New Victory website - www.newvictory.org for a more complete description. They are very popular, have appeared on the Today show, and other talk shows - and the sad news is they're breaking up and giving their last performance Memorial Day Weekend in NYC. I know at least ten 7 to 12 year olds who just start laughing as soon as you say "Flaming Idiots."
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:11 AM

Sounds like the 8 year old has had a lot of interesting experiences. Doesn't anyone just do birthday parties anymore? My daughter constantly frets over what to do for a b'day party. Why can't it just be kids getting together and having fun at the park, or movies, or pizza and sleep over. When we start worry about "High" experiences for 8 year olds, what do you do when they are 13? Just had to get it off my chest as I am a grand mother of 5......
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Jetty, Last week I got tickets for July for the American Girl musical revue and for lunch in their cafe on 48/5th. At that time, I basically had my pick.

Everything they do is high-quality and expensive. But, hey, you're only that age once, right? And at least around here, women never forget their favorite girl-hood experiences. Good luck!
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Oops - sorry, AG Place is on 49/5th.

Does anyone know anything about an off-Broadway show Blue Men in Tubes, or something like that. Guys with blue faces who roll the audience in toilet paper?

Not even mentioning it to my husband while planning our first NYC trip. He'd laugh me out of the room and recommend we stay in NC and visit the local bar if that's the kind of entertainment I'm after. But I heard that kids really like it.