Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

TravelSmith catalog-anyone ordered from this catalog?

Jun 18th, 1999, 04:31 PM
Kittie

I have received three issues of the TravelSmith "outfitting guide and catalog" in the mail.
Much of the clothing is supposed to be wrinkle free and fast drying. I am interested in a reversible dress and the pants that have the legs unzip to make shorts.
Has anyone ordered from this catalog?
Kittie

Jun 18th, 1999, 09:32 PM
Dayle

Kittie, yes I and a couple other ladies at work who like to travel have used them. It seems the only difficulty is getting something that they actually have in stock, so don't try to order a week before a trip. They have good quality and it kind of depends on what you like and are comfortable with. I would die in a 100% polyester shirt. Look at fabric descriptions carefully and know what you're comfortable in. Some things I've loved and others I have returned because regardless of "travelability" they weren't comfortable to me. The zip off pants are pretty cool. Outdoor shops like REI also have them.

Jun 20th, 1999, 09:18 AM
Kittie

Thank you so much for your advice. I agree with the 100% polyester. Is that what they mean by wrinkle free? I plan on ordering soon for a trip in October.
The company you mentioned-REI- I haven't heard of them. I'll do a web search.
Thanks again.
Kittie

Jun 20th, 1999, 10:58 AM
Kittie

Dayle,
Thank you for suggesting REI. I requested a catalog.
Kittie

Jun 20th, 1999, 08:46 PM
Dayle

Kittie, REI started in Seattle and is probably still limited to the western states. It's a membership coop outdoor/sports equipment store. Great salespeople who really know and use the gear themselves. As you discovered, they have a good catalog too. Travelsmith has a good variety of fabrics, some are natural fiber, some blends, some the new micofiber, coolmax types of things.

Jun 21st, 1999, 04:53 AM
Marcia

Kittie:

Check the website: www.rei.com

Look under "Local Hikes" highlight "Store Locator".

Jun 21st, 1999, 07:45 AM
Bly

Kittie: a similar company to REI is EMS - I think its Eastern Mtn Sports. They have stores in the East and West. I have a couple pairs of the pants with the zip off legs. The cotton ones are great for hiking and durability, the nylony (Its synthetic-I'm not sure what their made of) ones are great for warmer weather, dry much faster and are much lighter and smaller to pack.

Jun 21st, 1999, 08:33 AM
Beth

For what its worth, we do have REI out here in Massachusetts, there has been a Boston branch for at least 10 years. I believe at least one of the brands of travel clothes (including the zipper leg pants) is Tilley's, and they have their own website too. I don't have the URL but you can search on it. One thing I noticed on their website is they had a wider range of sizes than those in stock at REI.

Jun 22nd, 1999, 05:50 AM
John

I have bought a few things fromn travelsmith. I have no real bad news, but there customer service is not so hot and there clothes items are just ok. Be careful of sizing. Everything for men is large and their polartec items are not as good as Land's End or REI.

Jun 22nd, 1999, 06:35 AM
Al

Have you compared their goods with those offered by Cabela's? The latter has a web site and a huge catalog. Over the years, we have found L. L. Bean to move more and more away from camping and travel to suburban yuppie, IMO.