Travelling without a rental car

Jul 8th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Travelling without a rental car

Interested in travelling from Boston to anywhere on the east/south coast. Do you have any ideas as to where I can fly and not have to worry about driving once my destination is reached? I would prefer travelling on foot/subway/bus and not have to rely on a rental for transportation to sight see and shop. I am a female and would be travelling alone.
Jul 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM

what exactly are you intersted in? and if you are flying why only the south/east coast.

You won't need(or want) a car in NYC,
Philidelpia is accessable without a car,
you should be able to get around DC or baltimore w/o a car.
Never been to charleston but my mom went there and did not have a car
Miami beach-South Beach is fine without a car.
key west is ok without a car also.

there are lots of US cities that are accessable without a car - you need to give us more info on what you are looking for

Jul 8th, 2004, 11:41 AM
yk

The 1st place comes to mind is obviously NYC - but I assume you've been there and not considering it now?

Otherwise, Philadelphia, Washington DC both have decent public transportation, and esp Philadephia, most sites are withing walking distance if you stay in downtown.
Jul 8th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. I will need to be gone for a couple of days. I really had no place in mind and I wanted to get some ideas.
Jul 8th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

I want to relax in a warm climate, sightsee and shop within 2 days but I will be travelling alone and wanted some ideas.
Jul 8th, 2004, 12:20 PM

I travel alone a lot...
Last fall I flew into Baltimore--
took Amtrak to DC,stayed 3 days then took Amtrak to Philladelphia from DC...Then back to Baltimore.
You can get Amtrak in Boston to visit these places ( and others that I am not aware of )
can't think of "beach areas" to reach by train but I bet there are some. and would probably be some others by bus.. Somrthing to keep in mind---some bus stations are not in areas that I would want to be in alone.. If you decided on an area, other posters could tell you if a certain bus station was in a "bad" area.
Good luck.
Jul 8th, 2004, 12:30 PM

New Orleans is a great city where you don't need a car. No beach but plenty of beach weather.
Jul 19th, 2004, 08:26 AM

You can travel to New Orleans and not have to rent a car. My husband and I stayed at this hotel called the Avenue Garden Hotel in the Garden District. The hotel is close to everything. We did not have to even take a cab once. There is the trolley car outside their front door and you can just jump on that and it will taker you almost anywhere you need to go. I really reccommend this city and this hotel.
Jul 19th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Charleston, SC or Savannah,GA
Jul 19th, 2004, 09:33 AM
bluestructure

NYC, Philadelphia, DC, Baltimore, Savannah(will need taxi from aiport to downtown for Baltimore and Savannah). You can mostly take subway/walk in any of the above cities (except Savannah-no subway).

Jul 19th, 2004, 09:35 AM
bluestructure

Oh, you can take lightrail from BWI to downtown Baltimore for a few bucks. Check Maryland MTA website, it has been closed for awhile and running off/on due to construction on the tracks.