travelling with baby

Jul 18th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Doh
Original Poster

travelling with baby

We are planning to take our first trip with the baby (hoping to be able to keep travelling now that we're 3), and I was wondering if people have any tips. The trip will be a week, two hotels (each actually with a kitchenette). The little one will be about 4 mos. old.

We were planning on bringing his car seat (and the snap 'n go stroller it fits into, as well as a bjorn-style infant carrier). Part of me actually wants to bring the car seat base, since we will have a car for the week and have to drive around a bit, but then part of me also wants to bring his "bouncy chair" and I know that's ridiculous. Normally we can pack reasonably light, but I am inclined for everyone's happiness to pack even lighter for me, and very "heavy" for him.

any suggestions, reassurance, corrections, etc. would be welcome
Jul 18th, 2003, 09:47 AM

i'm leaving with my 9 month old for hawaii (from boston) on sunday! so while i'm not an expert yet, i will be when i get back. LOL.

we brought him to florida when he was six months. a few ideas...

you'll have to get a convertible seat sooner or later. bring this instead of the infant seat. you can strap it into the seat on the plane and wont have to worry about bringing the base for use in the car. you'll have to bring a different stroller than the snap n' go though- but there are umbrella strollers like the chicco caddy that are great for traveling.

4 months is a great age for the bjorn. your babe should be very happy in there. you can also look into renting baby gear from a place like www.babysaway.com, to avoid bringing lots with you.

hope this helps...

fiasco
Jul 18th, 2003, 10:17 AM

This is a topic worth doing a search on. There have been some pretty long threads with great advice mixed in with some generalized bashing. Bring the car seat base!
Jul 18th, 2003, 08:48 PM

I'm going to dissent and say don't bring the carseat base. It's really not that hard to use the seatbelt to strap the carrier into each time and just as safe. Just be sure to pull the belt out all of the way so that it locks when it's snug. Most car seatbelts slide with the first pull out and lock with the next (the mechanism alternates) so if it doesn't work the first time try again. Don't bring the bouncy seat either. I know it's sooo tempting to bring all of the gizmos but you really don't need them. Your son will be happy on a blanket on the floor. Bring a couple of toys, though, and a swimsuit and swim diaper so you can try him out in the hotel pool. We took our daughter out at two months, at eight months, and then to London at 13 months and that went so well that we went to Costa Rica when she was 18 months. Kids can be great travelers, and if you love to travel there's no reason to stop just because you have them.
Jul 18th, 2003, 10:56 PM

If you're flying (can't tell from your post), whatever car seat you bring on the airplane must be AIRLINE CERTIFIED. And believe me, they do check this.