Reload this Page >

travelling thru the usa

Search

travelling thru the usa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 07:46 PM
melanie

travelling thru the usa

im going to be backpacking across america late this year and being from england i have no idea about costings over there... i was wondering if there are cheap places to stay over there that are safe, can u find places to stay for 15 dollars a nite etc has anyone any advice on the best thing to do

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 08:39 PM
Linda

Know that when you backpack in US, do not hitchhike. It is not the same as in Europe and very unsafe. You can find some inexpensive safe places to stay but not for $15 in a big city.

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 03:17 AM
dave

I wouldn't count on finding many decent places to stay for $15, except at some youth hostels. Most that I've stayed at are not bad, and considering the low cost, it's a great deal !!! They're set up much like the ones in Europe. Check here:

http://www.hiayh.org/

Best of luck !!!

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 04:04 AM
Owen O'Neill

I did several thousand miles of hitchiking in the US over 20 years ago and even back then it was considered dangerous. It's also illegal on many highways. Two good alternatives are Amtrak trains or Greyhound buses. Passes are available for both. The trains are far more comfortable and the train stations in major cities are usually in the city center. Buses often go to more remote rural areas or smaller towns not accessible by trains. You should be able to find hostels in major cities for $20-25 per night and a bit less in smaller cities. If the hostels allow any advance reservation you should call ahead before you get to that city - they are often sold out every night in large cities. Check www.hostel.com for helpful information.

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 05:09 AM
Kim

You can also camp quite inexpensively, if that is an option for you. Most state and national parks have campgrounds in beautiful surroundings. It can be difficult to get a site on the weekends in the nicer parks though so you need to get to them early. Enjoy the US!

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 07:48 AM
D.B.

Let's see -- girl alone, back-packing=hitch-hiking, winter time; sounds like you are doing everything possible to become just another U.S. statistic.

Travel is nice, but use the busses and trains.

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 02:48 PM
dan woodlief

Completely agree. Unfortunately, travel here is much more unsafe than in Europe, especially when alone. Expect to pay at least about $40 for a decent place to stay and quite a bit more in some cities.