Travellers cheques, how easy to use.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning people, I always carry a few travellers cheques for emergencies, they are starting to look a bit ratty from travelling around so I thought I might convert them as soon as I get to the states, they are obviously in USD. How easy will it be and can you still use them at stores ?
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 05:28 PM

With the advent of ATMs most stores in California probably wouldn't recognize a traveller's cheque. But you can cash them in at most banks.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM
P_M

If they are AmEx checks, the AmEx office should do it with no fee. If that's not convenient, then I would first try using them in stores, restaurants or hotels, as they might cash them without a fee. If that doesn't work, then a bank will cash them, but probably for a fee if you are not an account holder. Good luck.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Marko, In my opinion you will have a difficult time using your travelers checks. Most businesses will not except them. Your best bet is cashing them all at a bank in exchange for US dollars. Bring credit cards.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:12 PM

I honestly don't understand the problem. Using travelers checks in the States is MUCH easier than in Europe. Not need to go to an AMEX office or bank.

in my experience, most stores -- even grocery stores -- accept them just like cash w/ no fees tacked on.

Just yesterday I was in my local Macy's and the woman ahead of me in line was using travelers checks and the clerk didn't bat and eye.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:20 PM

I stand corrected. Macy's will accept your travelers check.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM

It depends on where you are and what kind of establishment it is. In NYC you will have trouble using them in restuarants or smaller stores (I tried to use mine a couple of years ago - and most places are just not equipped/willing to take the chance of fraud) - but a big department store might let you make purchases with them.

It would probably be easiest to get rid of them at a bank.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

I only have about $500 worth so I will probably cash them as soon as I can, I am just sick of carrying them around, I have had them for a couple of years. And then I will let the wife spend spend spend !! Do our bit for the US economy! I have yet to find a place where I haven't been able to get local cash from an ATM !
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:15 AM

Thank you for helping out our economy. In past few years I have found they are easily accepted at supermarkets, large department stores, but not or reluctantly accepted at smaller businesses. (My teenagers had some as "emergency money" but now have ATM cards and credit cards so we spent them).
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 07:46 AM

I have never had problems with Traveler's Checks. Have cashed them in large/small businesses (even kiosks) in Paris, Hawaii, St. John/St. Thomas, and the BVI, as well as various states in the continental US.

That said, due to reports of difficulty I read on this board, I recently broke down and used my ATM card a couple times in Hawaii and liked the ease of use...even service stations had ATM's!

I try to be economical, and our bank does not charge us for TC's, and I've never had anyone charge me for cashing them...but there is a charge for the use of the ATM (usually minor, but could 'add up' if used frequently, so I always ask/read what it is prior to use.

Belle
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:10 AM

For any active or retired military and/or eligible family members of same,

get the USAA debit card. No transaction fees for ATM's and any charges taken at point of use are refunded to checking account.

Very good deal.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 08:23 AM

I haven't used them in a few years but used to use them often. I never ever had trouble with them. In fact, I used to use all my leftovers to pay for film processing after vacation. I also used some at groceries and department stores, and I think I did use a few at restaurants. Actually, I never had any trouble using cheques abroad either, in the denomination of the relevant country.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:16 PM

starrsville, The USAA debit card advantages are not Only available for any active or retired military and/or eligible family members of same.

The card and its advantages are available to any civilian who banks with USAA. I had several different kinds of accounts for several years.

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Right, but don't you have to at least been associated with the military at some point to be a USAA member? Once you are one, you always will be (I joined when I lived with my parents and my dad was in the military) but you need to get your foot in the door to start.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:08 PM

You do have to be active or retired military to get acquire the USAA insurance policies.

You do not have to be active or retired military to acquire a USAA credit card. And I do not believe that you have to be active or retired military to open up a bank account with them either.

The toll free banking # is 1-800-531-2265. The credit card # is 1-800-922-9092.

USAA is a very fine company.

If you or your parents were in the military I suggest you check out their insurance programs also.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:48 AM
pat

Just got back from Croatia and Slovenia yesterday. The people who brought traveler`s checks regretted it. They had a hard time cashing them, and brought most of them home. I used my ATM card from a credit union and had no problems whatsoever with that.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:16 AM
JJ5

I've never brought them to Europe, but have on trips in the USA. I put everything on a credit card and don't have fees. But when I have t.checks left over I have had no problem whatsoever using them as cash. Restaurants, supermarkets etc. have all taken them here at home without any problems.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:54 AM

When I saw the heading on this thread, and then read through some of the replies, I was stunned that this should even be posted.

We have used traveler's checks on many many trips and have never had a problem with their acceptance. They are just like cash, & probably better than a credit card for the vendor who has to pay the fee. Whenever we have some left over, we either use them in local (NY/NJ) stores or deposit them back into our account.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

has this post been edited ?
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Frankly I'm surprised anyone
would still use travellers checks.
IMHO it makes much more sense to
charge everything to get points
(FF miles or whatever
your card offers), paying off the
charge immediately of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -